TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT 19" Saleen Heritage Wheels Installed !! Car Weighed as well!

Well I finally got my Saleen Heritage 19" wheels installed! happy%20feet.gif

They are 19x9 and 19x10. I had BFG KDW N2's fitted with the following sizes 275/35 front and 295/35 rear.

I put about 25 miles on them so far and my initial impression is that the wider front tires make the steering seem more sensitive. The rears definentally stick better or so it seems they are not broken in yet and it did start to rain as I was going home. The noise from the tires is to be believed on the reviews posted on tirerack.com, they are as loud or even louder than my oversized Nitto terra grapplers on my 4X4.

I think that the grip will prove worth it come better weather.

They do fit the wheelwells perfectly, my friend came over tonite and he cannot believe that the fronts do not rub, but they don't. The wheels look very close to the stock OEM ones to me. I like them and now I can fit my Brembos up front. The car looks stellar from the rear now. There was not a lot of sunlight today so the pictures are kinda dim, sorry. I need to find some centercaps I can fit or have my buddy machine an adapter for the stock ones...I was hoping the OEM pony ones would fit, but no dice. A side note is that one rear needed about 4oz to balance, seemed like a lot to me...

post-9886-126371953505_thumb.jpg

OEM SGT Wheels and tires

post-9886-126371960016_thumb.jpg

heritage wheels.

post-9886-126371953505_thumb.jpg

post-9886-126371960016_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the on-spot phone call Yeah I will be Chad M from SAI anyday. I still couldn't believe that they wouldn't mount those tires without verification from SAI.

Hey I think I have been down that street before is that in Seattle?

Those rims looks awesome but I still think that you should have gone with some Carroll Shelby wheels. The rubber looks bad azz though.

Well I finally got my Saleen Heritage 19" wheels installed! happy%20feet.gif

They are 19x9 and 19x10. I had BFG KDW N2's fitted with the following sizes 275/35 front and 295/35 rear.

I put about 25 miles on them so far and my initial impression is that the wider front tires make the steering seem more sensitive. The rears definentally stick better or so it seems they are not broken in yet and it did start to rain as I was going home. The noise from the tires is to be believed on the reviews posted on tirerack.com, they are as loud or even louder than my oversized Nitto terra grapplers on my 4X4.

I think that the grip will prove worth it come better weather.

They do fit the wheelwells perfectly, my friend came over tonite and he cannot believe that the fronts do not rub, but they don't. The wheels look very close to the stock OEM ones to me. I like them and now I can fit my Brembos up front. The car looks stellar from the rear now. There was not a lot of sunlight today so the pictures are kinda dim, sorry. I need to find some centercaps I can fit or have my buddy machine an adapter for the stock ones...I was hoping the OEM pony ones would fit, but no dice. A side note is that one rear needed about 4oz to balance, seemed like a lot to me...

oem wheels.JPG

OEM SGT Wheels and tires

Heritage19\'s.JPG

heritage wheels.

They look good, one question though, can your buddy make some adapters for the stock center caps up for me to if I pay him? And more pictures would be awesome!!!!

hysterical.gif

Thanks for the on-spot phone call Yeah I will be Chad M from SAI anyday. I still couldn't believe that they wouldn't mount those tires without verification from SAI.

Hey I think I have been down that street before is that in Seattle?

Those rims looks awesome but I still think that you should have gone with some Carroll Shelby wheels. The rubber looks bad azz though.

I was not going to post that bummer but I will explain that you do not want to buy oversize tires from Costco, the guy would not put them on as the SGT/SC as the SGT was not in his book of tire sizes. The GT500 did list a 285 but not a 295 and not a 19 inch wheel until 2009 but not 295. No Saleens in his book either. So AMAZINGLY not even Chad could BS this guy, he was not having any oversized fun. If it was not in the book he was not going to mount them. After I waited 5 days for them to get them in and 2 hours at Costco waiting for my turn and watching over my car. So Chad tried to BS the guy that they were perfectly fine and would not rub,guy was still not having it.

I was the Buddah, I told him "man how unfortunate" and split.

Costco lost $1500 on that sale and a competitor got it, as a bonus I had my truck tires rotated when I picked up my stock wheels as I went to the same place I got them from. But I did not get a nitrogen fill as they do not offer it...oh well.

Well Chad about the wheels, these are 1/2 made in the USA. By an OEM wheel manufacturer. And the offset is spot on, notice how flush the outside of the tire is to the fender lip? And these are 19's.

To me they are perfect, I think you should have these on your car.slapfight.gifhysterical.gif

double edit: note I posted the wrong picture those are stock see the other post for the Saleen picture for offset...cannot edit pic?hysterical.gif

post-9886-126376062069_thumb.jpg

post-9886-126376067673_thumb.jpg

post-9886-126376062069_thumb.jpg

post-9886-126376067673_thumb.jpg

They look good, one question though, can your buddy make some adapters for the stock center caps up for me to if I pay him? And more pictures would be awesome!!!!

Absolutley, if I have to go that route I would be more than happy to put you in touch with him. I think a guy could turn one on a good lathe out of aluminum. Using a good set of calipers and allowing for the interference fit of the factory ones, you could use the same measurement to make an adapter.

Then after turning it, cut some relief slots in the properly contoured ring so that it snaps in.

If you then polish the material you should have a pretty groovy set up. And if you do it right, presto mustang caps on a saleen wheel.

The glitch is that you need enough room between the two sizes to have the adapter material fit. I have not measured any of this yet. But I have the idea down, I just do not have a decent lathe...yet. But I know someone who does...

The other option is to get the saleen centercaps in hand and mill out the Saleen logo and leave a recess to stick on a suitable emblem in the center. Say a CS logo. This too has a glitch as the material needs to be thick enough for this option.

Or there are companies that you can order the centercap with a logo milled into them, like TF. I do not know if they would fit the Saleen wheels.

I need to do my homework and see what is the best option.

Whatever I work out I will share...

If you want a specific pic, I will post it, here is a link to a GT running the Heritage 19's that convinced me to go for it...

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2011-mustangs/507291-new-saleen-heritage-wheels-questions-4.html

Thanks for the compliments guys and thanks to Frank and Ken for the help with my decision. I need it confused.gifhysterical.gif

Randy - Why the Saleen wheels? I just don't get it with all the CS wheels available and your car sent to SAI to get the SC and to protect the pedigree and you go with Saleen wheels? Go ahead I am ready for a flame here, but why offset the pedigree with Saleen wheels?

Dave

Your setup really looks wonderful, Randy. You'll have every right to the envious looks you're going to get from people who know the difference between "good" and "great"!

The Costco guy who gave my Michelins the "go" must have fudged a little; when I ordered them (for the Saleen wheels to go on a V6 at the time) he asked "For a Mustang GT?" and I said "Yes". "I can do that", he said, and when they came in he was as good as his word.

As many times as I have adjusted tire pressures, I reckon the nitrogen content is down around ambient by now (78%, last I heard). For our uses the principal advantage of nitrogen in tires is that it is much more likely to be dry, and the low moisture content results in less pressure change with increased temperatures during use. The remainder of N's claims - bigger molecules, less internal deterioration, et cetera - are just window dressing, my view.

You're in a good spot, now; I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!

Randy - Why the Saleen wheels? I just don't get it with all the CS wheels available and your car sent to SAI to get the SC and to protect the pedigree and you go with Saleen wheels? Go ahead I am ready for a flame here, but why offset the pedigree with Saleen wheels?

Dave

Dave,

Nothing more than I like the fit and function of these better, they fit the Brembos and are unique while looking similar to stock. I have not seen another Shelby GT running them. They are forged from an OEM supplier.

I originally wanted classic spun aluminum centerlines but they will not fit the car or the brakes, due to offset and design. And I wanted wider rubber.

The stock wheels and tires are in storage.

The S/C from SAI is a different deal as the side stripe changed and I trusted them to do a great job, which they did beyond what I expected. They are an awesome group of people.

I will drive it as long as I can, so I really dont care about the pedigree of the wheels.

Frank, Thank you for the compliment, your pictures and advice is what got me to the wheels and tires...Cheers!

Absolutley, if I have to go that route I would be more than happy to put you in touch with him. I think a guy could turn one on a good lathe out of aluminum. Using a good set of calipers and allowing for the interference fit of the factory ones, you could use the same measurement to make an adapter.

Then after turning it, cut some relief slots in the properly contoured ring so that it snaps in.

If you then polish the material you should have a pretty groovy set up. And if you do it right, presto mustang caps on a saleen wheel.

The glitch is that you need enough room between the two sizes to have the adapter material fit. I have not measured any of this yet. But I have the idea down, I just do not have a decent lathe...yet. But I know someone who does...

The other option is to get the saleen centercaps in hand and mill out the Saleen logo and leave a recess to stick on a suitable emblem in the center. Say a CS logo. This too has a glitch as the material needs to be thick enough for this option.

Or there are companies that you can order the centercap with a logo milled into them, like TF. I do not know if they would fit the Saleen wheels.

I need to do my homework and see what is the best option.

Whatever I work out I will share...

If you want a specific pic, I will post it, here is a link to a GT running the Heritage 19's that convinced me to go for it...

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2011-mustangs/507291-new-saleen-heritage-wheels-questions-4.html

Thanks for the compliments guys and thanks to Frank and Ken for the help with my decision. I need it confused.gifhysterical.gif

Thanks that would be great, keep me up to date when you get a chance and I think option 1 is the way to go.

Update...I LOVE this setuphappy%20feet.gif ...the difference in the car is HUGE, night and day really!

Today was dry and warmer here, so I drove about 50 miles and a few on my known routes. The big bumps in a couple of sweepers did not upset the rear end no where near the same amount. Or rather the tires kept it in check more, I had gotten used to the slight rear side slip around a certain corner at about 50 mph and its gone.

Ride is bumpier by a small amount and tire noise is up, but the feedback to the steering wheel is increased and the braking seems improved. I should have done this a long time ago...the cornering is seriously improved by a huge amount and my TC is not coming on under mild acceleration 10% of what it used to do. It flat sticks and gets with the program...I am really looking forward to a track experience now. Seeing the car in the sun was really awesome...it looks killer!

It just all around feels way more solid and planted and it looks fatter and nastier than before.happy%20feet.gif

I am swinging by the machinist tomorrow or the next day for the adapter idea to put the stock Mustang centercaps on...he is in for an attempt (used to be a street rod guy).

Update...I LOVE this setuphappy%20feet.gif ...the difference in the car is HUGE, night and day really!

Today was dry and warmer here, so I drove about 50 miles and a few on my known routes. The big bumps in a couple of sweepers did not upset the rear end no where near the same amount. Or rather the tires kept it in check more, I had gotten used to the slight rear side slip around a certain corner at about 50 mph and its gone.

Ride is bumpier by a small amount and tire noise is up, but the feedback to the steering wheel is increased and the braking seems improved. I should have done this a long time ago...the cornering is seriously improved by a huge amount and my TC is not coming on under mild acceleration 10% of what it used to do. It flat sticks and gets with the program...I am really looking forward to a track experience now. Seeing the car in the sun was really awesome...it looks killer!

Hope to see you there- I'm already signed up / space is limited to the first 85 Ford Powered vehicles

The track event is part of the 4-day MCA Bellevue Weekend: July 15th-18th

Mustangs Northwest - Roundup 2010

EVENT REGISTRATION INCLUDING THE TRACK EVENT:

http://www.mustangsnorthwest.com/Userfiles/Docs/MNW_REGISTRATION_FORM_FOR_2010.doc

-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

Hope to see you there- I'm already signed up / space is limited to the first 85 Ford Powered vehicles

The track event is part of the 4-day MCA Bellevue Weekend: July 15th-18th

Mustangs Northwest - Roundup 2010

EVENT REGISTRATION INCLUDING THE TRACK EVENT:

http://www.mustangsn...RM_FOR_2010.doc

-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

Is the track portion at pacific raceways?

Did you enter your car in a car show by doing this?

Also the Kirkland Concours this year is featuring Shelby for the marque.

Is the track portion at pacific raceways?

Did you enter your car in a car show by doing this?

Also the Kirkland Concours this year is featuring Shelby for the marque.

Yes- http://www.pacificraceways.com/

Go to the ROAD RACING upper Tab and select Road Course Info

The cheapest track day you'll find around-

It's a blast !!! No Car Show entry necessary

We are entering the wifes Roush in Saturdays MCA "Judged" event and then Sunday I'll drive the Shelby in just for fun for "People Choice" (no preregistration required)-

It's going to be HUGE, this is the MCA Grand Event only 1 in the whole country a year and it's in your backyard-

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--

Dave,

Nothing more than I like the fit and function of these better, they fit the Brembos and are unique while looking similar to stock. I have not seen another Shelby GT running them. They are forged from an OEM supplier.

I originally wanted classic spun aluminum centerlines but they will not fit the car or the brakes, due to offset and design. And I wanted wider rubber.

The stock wheels and tires are in storage.

The S/C from SAI is a different deal as the side stripe changed and I trusted them to do a great job, which they did beyond what I expected. They are an awesome group of people.

I will drive it as long as I can, so I really dont care about the pedigree of the wheels.

Frank, Thank you for the compliment, your pictures and advice is what got me to the wheels and tires...Cheers!

Thanks Randy I knew there had to be a very good reason as I now remember that you had the Brembo's. They are a strong looking wheel that sits well on the car too. Just cuirious and thanks for not flaming me! :)

Thanks Randy I knew there had to be a very good reason as I now remember that you had the Brembo's. They are a strong looking wheel that sits well on the car too. Just cuirious and thanks for not flaming me! smile.gif

Cheers Dave!!! Only 30 more minutes!

• 4 weeks later...

Update. Hung out with my machinist friend...boy hes having a great 1st quarter!

He is a one man operation so I am patiently waiting and I know it will be right when he does it.

I learned what an optical center punch is...now I want one, very cool. He laid out a 3'x5' fabricated part from CAD engineered drawings and drilled the holes to a tolerance of .010 on the x/y dimensions using the optical center punch and a serious drill press that makes my big auto feed Clausen look small...pretty cool.

Guy is in his 60's and works like he's 35. He hunts big game in Africa for a hobby...very interesting man, and smart.

So when he has time and makes the part I will post a pic, he did say that I had the right idea to make the part as I described.

He also said that he could make them for anybody who wants them.

Update. Hung out with my machinist friend...boy hes having a great 1st quarter!

He is a one man operation so I am patiently waiting and I know it will be right when he does it.

I learned what an optical center punch is...now I want one, very cool. He laid out a 3'x5' fabricated part from CAD engineered drawings and drilled the holes to a tolerance of .010 on the x/y dimensions using the optical center punch and a serious drill press that makes my big auto feed Clausen look small...pretty cool.

Guy is in his 60's and works like he's 35. He hunts big game in Africa for a hobby...very interesting man, and smart.

So when he has time and makes the part I will post a pic, he did say that I had the right idea to make the part as I described.

He also said that he could make them for anybody who wants them.

Awesome, please post pics when they are done as I am still interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived