TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction Control default to off?

txcobra

As I understand it, with a custom tune, Traction Control can be turned off, correct? If that's the case, can it still be turned on or is it forever off? I had a buddy wire a relay up to default his switch to off, but I would rather handle it with a tune than hack on some wires if possible. Ideally, I would like the TC to default to off every time I start the car but the switch would still work to turn it back on if needed. Appreciate any feedback here.

As I understand it, with a custom tune, Traction Control can be turned off, correct? If that's the case, can it still be turned on or is it forever off? I had a buddy wire a relay up to default his switch to off, but I would rather handle it with a tune than hack on some wires if possible. Ideally, I would like the TC to default to off every time I start the car but the switch would still work to turn it back on if needed. Appreciate any feedback here.

I have the TC defaulted to be off in my SGT S/C, and did it through my tune. But once the TC default is set to off, you can't turn it back on whenever you want, it remains off until you go back into the tune and change it back to "normal".

Additionally, when you do set the TC to off in the tune, the traction control icon (the amber, fish-tailing car icon) in your gage cluster will also stay illuminated too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the TC defaulted to be off in my SGT S/C, and did it through my tune. But once the TC default is set to off, you can't turn it back on whenever you want, it remains off until you go back into the tune and change it back to "normal".

Additionally, when you do set the TC to off in the tune, the traction control icon (the amber, fish-tailing car icon) in your gage cluster will also stay illuminated too.

yep exactly

I personally drive my GT500 with the TCS off unless im at interstate speed or in bad weather.

One reason to leave it off the majority of the time is the system works off your rear brakes. Esp on the GT500's , the rear brakes cant hold 500 hp and I saw at my dealer a lot of worn out rear pads around 15k and put 2 and 2 together.

I myself would never turn the TCS totally off, I would use the switch .....

Example .... i was driving to Miami on the alligator alley during the real cold spell we had here two weekends ago.

It was about 40 degrees outside and i jumped on it in 4th with TCS on ... dam if my rear end didnt come out a tad and i immediatly let off ..... not a good feeling doing 70 mph.

I attribute this for two causes :

- real cold temps increased hp

- real cold temps decreased traction on the Goodyears.

Another thing i noticed...... real real sucky gas mileage.

realized after wondering why .... and it seemed to get worse as the night progressed ... was due to the cold temps. more dense air ..... more fuel to compensate.

I live in AZ. and bought my gt500 in Jan. 07 from a dealer in Sac. CA. Weather was good on the trip home but along the backside of Sierra Nv. mtns. hit a snow storm for about 100 miles. Took me 4 hours to drive through it and "thank god" for traction control.

There was a similar thread on another site recently; the guy had his TCS off by tune and lost control and wrecked his car.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5053

Me, I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, and I do have the option of turning it off. JMHO :shift:

I agree with all of you...hence the reason I didnt go the tune route. But the relay method works great! I did basically what you find in this link:

TC Relay

The only difference is I added a switch inline so that if I don't want it to Default to off, I just flip the switch and the relay is deactivated. This is perfect because either way, your TC switch remains functional and can always turn it back on or off. The other great part is that I only had to tap into one wire (didn't cut a single wire). The write up shows that you have to tap a wire for power too, but I just ran it directly to the fuse box. I love this mod!

There was a similar thread on another site recently; the guy had his TCS off by tune and lost control and wrecked his car.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5053

Me, I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, and I do have the option of turning it off. JMHO :shift:

I agree it's just as easy to hit the switch when ya want ot off! Although it does make ya look stupid when ya jump on it and the TC takes over and looks like you're just learning to drive a stick! :banghead:

Archived