TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake Regrets?

Sabregl

I have purchased a 2009 GT500 and plan to have it converted to a Super Snake which has been dream/goal of mine for the past year and a half. Intially it was going to be the regular SS but I am also now considering the Prudhomme SS as well. After reading on this forum last night I stumbled upon a lot of discontent with the lack of traction. I had always suspected the car would have trouble hooking up but I believed it was something that could be easliy worked out. After reading some of the posts I don't feel so confident about resolving the problem and for the first time I'm questioning whether or not to proceed with the conversion. I am still learning about the Super Snakes and will be the first to admit my knowledge is limited, but hopefully not for long. Will a swap out to a set of drag slicks cure the problem? (at least for quarter mile runs at the drag strip?) My business partner will likely do up a Camaro and challenge me so I need to know exactly where I'm at with this car. Other than the obvious traction issues the Super Snakes have, and after owning and driving the cars are you happy and would you do it all over again?

Thanks.

Here is a good quote I read about the SS wheels and traction issues.

If you have been watching the Team Shelby Super Snake Forum' date=' you know that the 10" Alcoa's can be widened to 12" (actually 11.75" to be safe and have no contact), and a 335/30ZR20 tire can be mounted on this set up. If the Alcoa's were "set in/offset inward" any further, a tire of this size would hit the inner fender area. This means, the Alcoa's, in their "as currently offered offset" are as far out as a wheel can be offset and get a wide 335 tire in the rear fender well and still look good on the rim. Yes, they come out to the edge, but I recenty looked at a friend of mines GT500, original 285 F1's on the rear, the car has been lowered and the rear end centered. It is amazing how much those Goodyear F1's also stick out, yes the wheels set in, but the tires, on those original wheels stick out. I did not realize that the original 9.5's with 285 F1's were "out to the edge" so much.

The least expensive route is going to be widening the wheels ($250 each plus shipping) and buying the 335's, $400-$500ea. for a decent tire plus shipping, round numbers, $1500, $1600, something in that area...........if you widen a pair of original 9.5" GT500 wheels, the cost would be the same, and then the wheels would require a spacer behind them to get them out so the 335's won't hit. The Alcoa's are made/offset out to the edge, where they need to be for a 335 install, Nice!!

The picture below is of the 335 tire installed on a Super Snake with a widened Alcoa. I would hardly be able to say that it is wayyy too wide and the offset is totally wrong..............

[img']http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/95r2kr/index-4.jpg[/img]

From what I saw on my friends original tire 285 (F1's) on his lowered GT500, they stuck out too, or at least they (the tires) were way out at the edge of the rear fender area, original 9.5" GT500 wheels, original Goodyear F1's...........

R

This should solve any questions regarding "hooking up"

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/ShowItem/101948%20Rear%20Race%20Suspension%20Package.aspx

Kit includes:

1. upper and lower adjustable control arms with spherical ends SPP Part # 5S3Z-5500-BS & 5S3Z-5A649-BRRE

2. rear adjustable panhard bar with spherical end SPP Part # 5S3Z-4264-BRRE

3. rear panhard bar body brace - SPP Part # 5S3Z-4264-B

4. rear upper control arm bracket -SPP PArt # 5S3Z-5500-MNT

Sounds like you may be tracking your new girl.

Also I would consider the following upgrades to the SS package.

1. Shelby/Eibach adjustable coil-over suspension (upgrade)

2. Shelby/Eibach sway bars (upgrade)

I am completely satisfied with my decision with the Super Snake package.

2008 Shelby GT500 - convertible - black

CSM 08SS0097

My SS package and upgraded options:

630HP TVS tune

1. UPGRADED - Shelby Shifter

2. UPGRADED - REAR matching 6P BAER brakes - RED

3. UPGRADED - SHELBY cooling package

4. UPGRADED - complete leather interior - silver perforated centers. very nice!

5. UPGRADED - leather shifter boot & SS leather center console = new SS logo badge. very nice!

6. UPGRADED - DYNOTECH one-piece aluminum drive shaft

7. The most updated last generation SS hood. = great NEW redesign!

8. "KR" trunk liner. - installed @ SAI.

9. "KR" rear axle reservoir. - installed at SAI.

10. SHELBY complete pedal set - installed @ SAI.

NO REGRETS.

This should solve any questions regarding "hooking up"

http://www.shelbyper...%20Package.aspx

Kit includes:

1. upper and lower adjustable control arms with spherical ends SPP Part # 5S3Z-5500-BS & 5S3Z-5A649-BRRE

2. rear adjustable panhard bar with spherical end SPP Part # 5S3Z-4264-BRRE

3. rear panhard bar body brace - SPP Part # 5S3Z-4264-B

4. rear upper control arm bracket -SPP PArt # 5S3Z-5500-MNT

Sounds like you may be tracking your new girl.

Also I would consider the following upgrades to the SS package.

1. Shelby/Eibach adjustable coil-over suspension (upgrade)

2. Shelby/Eibach sway bars (upgrade)

I am completely satisfied with my decision with the Super Snake package.

2008 Shelby GT500 - convertible - black

CSM 08SS0097

My SS package and upgraded options:

630HP TVS tune

1. UPGRADED - Shelby Shifter

2. UPGRADED - REAR matching 6P BAER brakes - RED

3. UPGRADED - SHELBY cooling package

4. UPGRADED - complete leather interior - silver perforated centers. very nice!

5. UPGRADED - leather shifter boot & SS leather center console = new SS logo badge. very nice!

6. UPGRADED - DYNOTECH one-piece aluminum drive shaft

7. The most updated last generation SS hood. = great NEW redesign!

8. "KR" trunk liner. - installed @ SAI.

9. "KR" rear axle reservoir. - installed at SAI.

10. SHELBY complete pedal set - installed @ SAI.

NO REGRETS.

Hello,

Can you please tell me what this does: "KR" rear axle reservoir.

Thank you in advance

I love my Super Snake and would definately do it all again! I like the looks and performance the most. The collectable future of this car isn't the focus of the car for me. I drive mine! It is an awesome car that is a ton of fun to drive. If you want a car that is set up to do the 1/4 mile, then I would recommend you think about getting the Prudhomme version. The Super Snake pakage is meant to be more of an all around performance package. One you can drive on the street, drag strip, and track.

This forum is a great place to get ideas and see whats out there. Most people on here are great and have some cool ideas! No matter what though, someone is going to find something wrong or not quite what they like. The beauty of these cars is that you can get the package and get what options you would like and still do personal tweeks once you get it back.

To each their own. Super Snake for me!! No regrets!!!

Cheers

Brett

I love my Super Snake and would definately do it all again! I like the looks and performance the most. The collectable future of this car isn't the focus of the car for me. I drive mine! It is an awesome car that is a ton of fun to drive. If you want a car that is set up to do the 1/4 mile, then I would recommend you think about getting the Prudhomme version. The Super Snake pakage is meant to be more of an all around performance package. One you can drive on the street, drag strip, and track.

This forum is a great place to get ideas and see whats out there. Most people on here are great and have some cool ideas! No matter what though, someone is going to find something wrong or not quite what they like. The beauty of these cars is that you can get the package and get what options you would like and still do personal tweeks once you get it back.

Cheers

Brett

Perfectly put Brett and I couldn't agree more.

+1

I appreciate all the responses and now realize I have options to correct the traction problem. I especially like the idea of being able add 1 or 2 inches to the SS Alcoa wheels for 305's or 335's. I would also go with this option for the Prudhomme edition as well. As far as which conversion to go with I will have to give that some thought. They are both very attractive options with their own unique qualities. I talked to Cynthia at SAI and the Prudhomme SS is a 10 month build (at best) which is a little discouraging but what a car when it is completed! The regular Super Snake takes only 3 months to build and is still one of the (if not the) baddest cars prowling the streets today so it definitely will be tough to choose between the two.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Cheers

Brett

Well said...love my SS won t change it.....drive it ....enjoy it....live it....

Sabregl

although I am dissapointed in the lack of foresight by SAI regarding traction, and their lack of respons in acknowledging and offering a correction to this problem, I will tell you that i do not regret buying the SS and absolutely love the car. i was even out yesteday cleaning her (not many opportunities to do that in Denver area during winter!). The traction issue can be fixed and I am in that process right now with the help of the great guys on this site! The car has a menacing, mean, "modern retro" look that turns heads and has power to spare! you will not regret buying one of these machines IMO.

Ron

I have purchased a 2009 GT500 and plan to have it converted to a Super Snake which has been dream/goal of mine for the past year and a half. Intially it was going to be the regular SS but I am also now considering the Prudhomme SS as well. After reading on this forum last night I stumbled upon a lot of discontent with the lack of traction. I had always suspected the car would have trouble hooking up but I believed it was something that could be easliy worked out. After reading some of the posts I don't feel so confident about resolving the problem and for the first time I'm questioning whether or not to proceed with the conversion. I am still learning about the Super Snakes and will be the first to admit my knowledge is limited, but hopefully not for long. Will a swap out to a set of drag slicks cure the problem? (at least for quarter mile runs at the drag strip?) My business partner will likely do up a Camaro and challenge me so I need to know exactly where I'm at with this car. Other than the obvious traction issues the Super Snakes have, and after owning and driving the cars are you happy and would you do it all over again?

Thanks.

I love my SS. I own quite a few cars and its my favorite one to drive. The nicest thing about these cars in my opinion is you can still personalize them once you get them back. Exhaust, tune, suspension, ect. Thats the fun part for me. Or just keep it stock and enjoy the hell out of it. With the amount of hp these cars have there is not a car on the planet that could hook all that power to the ground off the line (other than an exotic all wheel drive). So dont look at the traction as a negative. The power increase is just too big a positive for the stock SS tires. :)

Don't worry about your business partner. My business partner has a 2010 Camaro as well. His is blown, tuned and he up'd the boost to a max safe level. He puts down 550 at the tire (150 less than me) and mine (with 335's) hooks up MUCH better. No comaprison! No production cars out there can hold there own with you. My other business partner owns a new Challenger. He put the mammoth Kenne Bell (same blower as Super Snake), running max safe boost and a full tune. His best run at Texas Mile was 160. I beat him by over 30mph! With a set of slicks you can turn in the 10's at the track with just a pully and some race gas. For any other cars to do that (except maybe the ZR1) you will need to build the motor.

THE CAR IS AN ATTENTION GETTER WITH REALLY KILLER LOOKS.

DEALING WITH SAI CAN BE REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATING AND THEY HAVE A RECORD OF NOT COMMENTING ON REALLY BASIC AND IMPORTANT ISSUES--I.E. THEY PUT THE WRONG SPARK PLUGS IN THE 735HP VERSIONS--KIND OF A BIG DEAL--BUT NO NOTICE SENT TO OWNERS OR NO COMMENTS. WON'T COMMENT ON WHY YOU WOULD ADD OVER 200HP TO A CAR AND PUT SMALLER WHEELS OR TIRES ON IT--STRUT TOWER BRACE HAS BEEN IN R&D SINCE THE PROJECT STARTED AND STILL IS NOT OUT--AND ON AND ON.

NOT SURE WHAT I WOULD DO IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER. PROBABLY WOULD HAVE GONE AND LOOKED FOR A 66 GT350 OR A VIPER.

BOB

I own a few cars, Cobra kit, 69 428cj, 74 Pantera.The SS for me is the ultimate. It's cool, because when I'm cruising around, most people have no idea of what she is. Even some Mustang drivers ask. It's a rare car at least in my area.. It is just amazing!

I own a few cars, Cobra kit, 69 428cj, 74 Pantera.The SS for me is the ultimate. It's cool, because when I'm cruising around, most people have no idea of what she is. Even some Mustang drivers ask. It's a rare car at least in my area.. It is just amazing!

Same here. Lots of "what the heck is that, look"!!

You have some very very cool cars....... would love to have those in my garage.... lol

I really don't know how anyone could begin to find fault with Shelby"s SS package. Real car guys who build, drive, and race only have praise for creating such a turnkey MONSTER!!!

It takes this kind of hands on experience to understand and appreciate just how well done the Super Snake is. OH they say a picture is worth a thousand words then I guess a video is a million. If you haven't watch these videos your decision will be made.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jasit390

John

I have a 3 shelbys at this time

07 gt350 automatic white/silver

07 gt500 white/blue

08 gt500 ss red/black

all are fun to drive

however the ss is a beast and will just totally pin your butt in the seat.

The 3 months it was at SAI for the conversion, we had a 3 month rain drought here in rainy Louisiana

Since it came back, the skys have let loose, with record rainfall and I have had to plan around the wet days to get the 600 miles I have on it since it got back in July.

And yes, though it does have trouble biting off the line, if you hit it at about 30 mph it will totally break loose and give you one HELL OF A RIDE. The tires are not good at all below 60 degrees plan to slip and slide.

Also, if you do not watch it and shift really quick you will redline fast. Also it will break loose and the rear end will come around on you in a half a heartbeat.

I love driving this car, a little disappointed with the 13 mpg but hey if you play with the big gun, better be ready to feed it too.

I throughtly laugh at the people whom have brass enough to ask to drive it. Good luck with that.

Get the SS ordered if you do not like it sell it. If you do want a 2010 or 2011, do the 09, sell it and get one of the others done if you want.

the market is slim on these sales right now due to economy, but you can sell it.

Good luck, oh one last comment, the cops love stopping you to talk about the car, anyway the cool ones do the pricks give you tickets. lol

later

Jerome

How do you like living with your Pantera? Thats next on my list to aquire...

happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif

Thanks!

I have a 3 shelbys at this time

07 gt350 automatic white/silver

07 gt500 white/blue

08 gt500 ss red/black

all are fun to drive

however the ss is a beast and will just totally pin your butt in the seat.

The 3 months it was at SAI for the conversion, we had a 3 month rain drought here in rainy Louisiana

Since it came back, the skys have let loose, with record rainfall and I have had to plan around the wet days to get the 600 miles I have on it since it got back in July.

And yes, though it does have trouble biting off the line, if you hit it at about 30 mph it will totally break loose and give you one HELL OF A RIDE. The tires are not good at all below 60 degrees plan to slip and slide.

Also, if you do not watch it and shift really quick you will redline fast. Also it will break loose and the rear end will come around on you in a half a heartbeat.

I love driving this car, a little disappointed with the 13 mpg but hey if you play with the big gun, better be ready to feed it too.

I throughtly laugh at the people whom have brass enough to ask to drive it. Good luck with that.

Get the SS ordered if you do not like it sell it. If you do want a 2010 or 2011, do the 09, sell it and get one of the others done if you want.

the market is slim on these sales right now due to economy, but you can sell it.

Good luck, oh one last comment, the cops love stopping you to talk about the car, anyway the cool ones do the pricks give you tickets. lol

later

Jerome

Jerome, do you mean 67' GT350?

Jerome, do you mean 67' GT350?

I don't believe they came with a AT, did they?

Or with anything but BLUE stripes.

I think he means he made his own, or a 'clone'.

But I can't speak for him...

Phill Pollard

Archived