TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fun with COPS in Colorado

matyellott

Well said.

I'm looking at entering law enforcement, and just like you said, it's a career that some people will pursue and also simply not occur to other people as a possibility. LEO's have a difficult job.

Good luck my brother. You will not find a more rewarding career. The past 24 years have been a blast, with all the good and the bad. I wouldn't trade one minute. Just remember, your most important tool is not your gun or taser, it's your mouth. The ability to communicate is the key to sucess as an LEO.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck my brother. You will not find a more rewarding career. The past 24 years have been a blast, with all the good and the bad. I wouldn't trade one minute. Just remember, your most important tool is not your gun or taser, it's your mouth. The ability to communicate is the key to sucess as an LEO.

I couldn't agree more. Your mouth and attitude will always create more problems if not controlled.

I couldn't agree more. Your mouth and attitude will always create more problems if not controlled.

I concur. No wonder why law enforcement positions have an emphasis on being about to bring a resolution to conflict and play down situations. People that don't quite understand the requirements and objectives of LEO's "uplay" their situation and often make matters worse. Your best bet is to just to be courteous to LEO's and be on with your day. Despite ethics and apart from your ideals on what government "should be," you're confronted with what it IS and you have to see that through irregardless of the situation.

You are kidding me, right? I mean you really didnt go research all this data to try and prove that there are more dangerous jobs than being a police officer.....did you????? There is no point arguing with you. headscratch.gif I suggest you finish the cabin first so you can have peace and quiet as you write your manifesto. Good luck...............and hey slow down. hysterical.gif

So what are you saying is the data is wrong?

So basically when confronted with the actual data you be-little mattie and say hes nuts?

My man....................this indeeed is a sad story. Very sad. Unfortunately there are hundreds if not more like it. Is it right....by no means. But my point is to condem an entire profession is naive. Most people by nature are good. Too bad for us those that are poor examples stand out more than those that are good. I assure you that there are more good professional officers than those that are egomaniacs that take advantage. I am not the least bit familiar with this case so I can not remark on it other than based on the merits of what you write. Having said that I will concede that it is a travesty of justice. Being an officer for over 20 years I could enlighten you with some examples, but that would make for boring reading in a car forum. I guess my point is that we have to judge each indiviual based on their actions as a person and not condem an entire profession or even a race or sex or religion based on the actions of a few. Not all police officers are bad contrary to your experiences. May be one day you will have a better experience and hopefully your outlook will change. At the end of the day you have to be responsible for your actions and worry about that. And in conclusion just a fun fact to add to your statistics, traffic related deaths out number everything you had listed, including any disease or other accident as a cause of death. So you wonder why the coward cop is sitting behind the tree running radar? Ask the guy that lost a teenage son because someone was driving over the speed limit, lost control and took the life an an innocent person. Again its life. It happens everyday.......and that too is a travesty.

The speed limits are way to low for modern vehicles and they simply generate a lot of revenue when the revenue collector fires the radar off.

My favorite is when your pulled over through 5 lanes of 70mph traffic and sitting on the side of that traffic for allegedly going 10 over a 60 mph limit and that is making the guy getting pulled over safer...hysterical.gif

The speed limits are way to low for modern vehicles and they simply generate a lot of revenue when the revenue collector fires the radar off.

My favorite is when your pulled over through 5 lanes of 70mph traffic and sitting on the side of that traffic for allegedly going 10 over a 60 mph limit and that is making the guy getting pulled over safer...hysterical.gif

Speed limits are posted for safety, not vehicles. No matter how safe the vehicle? depends on the retarded (and granted sometimes "not" retarded) driver, which isn't a factor of "speed."

So yes, pulling the guy over that was speeding (and creating the higher risk on the road) is more safe than pulling him over in traffic where an LEO can do it safely and protect your a$$ when the speeder is creating more of a risk.

Any questions? :lurk:

So what are you saying is the data is wrong?

So basically when confronted with the actual data you be-little mattie and say hes nuts?

Hmmmmm......... :headscratch:

Perhaps you should re-read. Never once did I say the data was wrong, but rather amazed that he took the time to tell us all that timber cutters suffer more deaths than police officers. That I am sure is true because it was published by the good peolple at the Dept of Labor.......you of course can pick and chose which gov't agencies you want to believe in.............I am sure the ones that support your arguements, but I am sure if the data was different we wouldnt have heard otherwise. However I am sure that there are not many gang initiations involing the assaination of timber cutters.....but hey I dont live in the northwest and there may be a rash of murders of timber cutters all associated with local gangs that I am unaware of.

I never met the man so I cant say whether he is nuts or not, but what I did say was that he was ignorant for making a brash statement. Condeming an entire profession of people whose purpose is to enforce laws that protect law obiding citizens? You tell me if he is nuts. I am sure his opinion is based on bad experiences, but I am also sure there are 2 sides to every story as well.

First off.......I am not nor was I ever a revenue collector.

Second..........I would bet that even the most average police officer has more driving skill than the average indiviual. Its called training. I know it is a burden but unfortunately we have to do it so we can learn to deal with morons who have no respect for other drivers.

First off.......I am not nor was I ever a revenue collector.

Second..........I would bet that even the most average police officer has more driving skill than the average indiviual. Its called training. I know it is a burden but unfortunately we have to do it so we can learn to deal with morons who have no respect for other drivers.

1.Traffic tickets generate revenue. The guy writing them is helping to facilitate that.

Drunks reckless and other insanity I agree is unsafe but c'mon admit it most tickets are not for insane moronic behavior

2. Why would you stereotype citizens you dont want us stereotyping you right. Furthermore the whole original post on this thread was about an officer speeding and from what I see they use no turn signals, compute and talk on cell phones while speeding and running redlights. Hypocracy.

Later.

Speed limits are posted for safety, not vehicles. No matter how safe the vehicle? depends on the retarded (and granted sometimes "not" retarded) driver, which isn't a factor of "speed."

So yes, pulling the guy over that was speeding (and creating the higher risk on the road) is more safe than pulling him over in traffic where an LEO can do it safely and protect your a$$ when the speeder is creating more of a risk.

Any questions? lurk.gif

huh? So if its not a factor of speed why are there limits? WTF are you talking about?

Hmmmmm......... headscratch.gif

Perhaps you should re-read. Never once did I say the data was wrong, but rather amazed that he took the time to tell us all that timber cutters suffer more deaths than police officers. That I am sure is true because it was published by the good peolple at the Dept of Labor.......you of course can pick and chose which gov't agencies you want to believe in.............I am sure the ones that support your arguements, but I am sure if the data was different we wouldnt have heard otherwise. However I am sure that there are not many gang initiations involing the assaination of timber cutters.....but hey I dont live in the northwest and there may be a rash of murders of timber cutters all associated with local gangs that I am unaware of.

I never met the man so I cant say whether he is nuts or not, but what I did say was that he was ignorant for making a brash statement. Condeming an entire profession of people whose purpose is to enforce laws that protect law obiding citizens? You tell me if he is nuts. I am sure his opinion is based on bad experiences, but I am also sure there are 2 sides to every story as well.

Yeah well loggers are some tough folk, and so are commercial fishermen. Two dying (almost dead) industries, thank God the prison industrial complex is growing so quickly!

So if you are saying that the Dept of Labor is involved in a conspiracy to misstate statistics...c'mon

I could care less for his mental state only that he suffers less, but he seems pretty able to articulate himself to me.

I am glad you are a good officer. Too bad the crappy ones are all we ever seem to hear about usually.

1.Traffic tickets generate revenue. The guy writing them is helping to facilitate that.

Drunks reckless and other insanity I agree is unsafe but c'mon admit it most tickets are not for insane moronic behavior

2. Why would you stereotype citizens you dont want us stereotyping you right. Furthermore the whole original post on this thread was about an officer speeding and from what I see they use no turn signals, compute and talk on cell phones while speeding and running redlights. Hypocracy.

Later.

Your right. When I wrote tickets I was thinking about generating revenue. Cha Ching! I always made it a point to call the good governor personally and let him know I helped add $323.63 to the State's revenue stream.

Insane moronic behavior???????? I guess you missed the point that there are more traffic related deaths than any other accident, disease or other cause of death. So yeah I guess enforcing traffic laws is moronic.

And what can I say...............I am a hypocrite. Yes I think some one who drives with disregard for others safety is a moron. But if you will please come off your soap box for a minute, I would like for you to admit that you have never thought someone was a moron that tailgates you, cuts you off or whatever.

Yeah well loggers are some tough folk, and so are commercial fishermen. Two dying (almost dead) industries, thank God the prison industrial complex is growing so quickly!

So if you are saying that the Dept of Labor is involved in a conspiracy to misstate statistics...c'mon

I could care less for his mental state only that he suffers less, but he seems pretty able to articulate himself to me.

I am glad you are a good officer. Too bad the crappy ones are all we ever seem to hear about usually.

Kudos to loggers and commerical fisherman! Tough jobs that I wouldnt want. Fishing is a way for me to unwind, the last damn thing I would want is for it to be a job. Thankfully they want to do it.

So finally police officers get credit for something!!!!! Helping to facilitate the growth of the prisons!!!!!!!!!

Dude I was being sarcastic about the Dept of Labor. I am not a conspiracy theorist.

And yes, my point exactly. You only hear about the bad ones. Dont condem the whole lot because of a few schmucks!

Let me guess, from what you're saying solar flares attribute to a retarded driver speeding, and a cop that means to do right pulling him over and citing him? Give me a break!

WTF are YOU talking about?

Speed limits are for safety. Go drive around in you car duct taped with pillows and take it up to 100mph and tell me different.

Obviously you are young.

I have had my car up to 150-165?, no pillows. I have driven full on race cars as well, saftey is relative.

My car feels way safe at 140 on a track to me. And on the highway I am sure it would feel the same at 80.

Speed limits are to collect money dude. Ever hear of the Autobahn? Or Montana?

I will try to explain my opinion one time for you:

So when the speed limit was 70 and the cars on the road were new 1971 models that was the reality. The 1971 model year seems sketchy at 70 compared to a 2011 model year car at 70.

Now the speed limit say is 60 and the cars are alot newer with saftey equipment and better engineering and road manners so TO ME the limit is now too low. IMHO

Now then you wanted to be a cop? Do they have a SAT test or something you have to pass first? Cause you may want to study up. And lose the lip.

edit: the 165 was a guess relative to the end of the digits at 145, but it was a buried needle and then some when I glanced down.

Your right. When I wrote tickets I was thinking about generating revenue. Cha Ching! I always made it a point to call the good governor personally and let him know I helped add $323.63 to the State's revenue stream.

Insane moronic behavior???????? I guess you missed the point that there are more traffic related deaths than any other accident, disease or other cause of death. So yeah I guess enforcing traffic laws is moronic.

And what can I say...............I am a hypocrite. Yes I think some one who drives with disregard for others safety is a moron. But if you will please come off your soap box for a minute, I would like for you to admit that you have never thought someone was a moron that tailgates you, cuts you off or whatever.

Yeah well if your approach to stopping moronic behavior was working it would'nt still be happening.

To answer your inquiry as to how I feel I will answer honestly:

I have such sadness and compassion for tailgaters, cutter offers and whateverers.

its a character defect and we all suffer.

So to me the question of if they are a moron or not never even occurs, they are just as they are and we all are suffering on some level.

Obviously you are young.

I have had my car up to 165, no pillows. I have driven full on race cars as well, saftey is relative.

My car feels way safe at 140 on a track to me. And on the highway I am sure it would feel the same at 80.

So when the speed limit was 70 and the cars on the road were new 1971 models that was the reality. The 1971 model year seems sketchy at 70 compared to a 2011 model year car at 70.

Now the speed limit say is 60 and the cars are alot newer with saftey equipment and better engineering and road manners so TO ME the limit is now too low. IMHO

Now then you wanted to be a cop? Do they have a SAT test or something you have to pass first? Cause you may want to study up. And lose the lip.

You ever hear of an "Autobahn" in the U.S.?? NOOOO. My youth has NOTHING to do with my judgment. You want to hit the autobahn then YOU need to go to Europe brother, because the LAWS determine what you do here on the road, not what YOU think, and the "Autobahn" sure as HELL ain't in Montana - ask the Montana State Patrol, hoss.

SAFETY is *NOT* relative, because you know what? not all people exhibit the same "sound Montana judgment" that you think you have. You can apply your skills to the race track and have better knowledge of a car, sure, but you can't apply that to the rest of the people you share the road with. And you want to know why speed limits are lower now? Look at the death statistics when vehicles were first made - you want to KNOW how many people DIED because airbags weren't there and because there were no speed limits? I wonder why the government has these restrictions now!!??

And I want to be a "cop." M'kay. What was your SAT score? Where are YOU at in life now? What have YOU done for your country lately? If you're an LEO you can send me a PM and school me, I'd love to hear it.

Until then? You can take my lip, and the lip from the LEO that writes your ticket. DONE DEAL.

Obviously you are young.

I have had my car up to 165, no pillows. I have driven full on race cars as well, saftey is relative.

You make a valid point about the speed limit, its purpose and relationship of cars from yesteryear and today. I would only agree partially that traffic tickets are for revenue generation. They are also a way to curb traffic accidents. Unfortunately not all drivers are skilled enough to handle a car at 140, 80 or believe it not even 30. A sophisticated vehicle does not make one a better driver. There is still an element of experience and control that is needed. Furthermore, speed limits are also indicitive of our American society which admittedly can be a little up tight from time to time. Not that I would condone it, but since you mention the Autobahn, I would add that you could also go to Amsterdam, smoke a little weed in a 'coffee car' and then go window shop for a hooker in the red light district. All legal. Just a difference in society. Now as far as Montana I dont know what to say. If I understand they have long stretches of highway the have either very high speed limits or none at all. If that works for them then thats great. :shift: :happy feet:

You ever hear of an "Autobahn" in the U.S.?? NOOOO. My youth has NOTHING to do with my judgment. You want to hit the autobahn then YOU need to go to Europe brother, because the LAWS determine what you do here on the road, not what YOU think, and the "Autobahn" sure as HELL ain't in Montana - ask the Montana State Patrol, hoss.

SAFETY is *NOT* relative, because you know what? not all people exhibit the same "sound Montana judgment" that you think you have. You can apply your skills to the race track and have better knowledge of a car, sure, but you can't apply that to the rest of the people you share the road with. And you want to know why speed limits are lower now? Look at the death statistics when vehicles were first made - you want to KNOW how many people DIED because airbags weren't there and because there were no speed limits? I wonder why the government has these restrictions now!!??

And I want to be a "cop." M'kay. What was your SAT score? Where are YOU at in life now? What have YOU done for your country lately? If you're an LEO you can send me a PM and school me, I'd love to hear it.

Until then? You can take my lip, and the lip from the LEO that writes your ticket. DONE DEAL.

You are obviously suffering. Look get a life.

Your hair is so short I can read your mind.

And trust me you could not even imagine where I am at.

But I hope you may attain the gifts I have found.

BTW my driving record is spotless...so jackinbox.gif

You make a valid point about the speed limit, its purpose and relationship of cars from yesteryear and today. I would only agree partially that traffic tickets are for revenue generation. They are also a way to curb traffic accidents. Unfortunately not all drivers are skilled enough to handle a car at 140, 80 or believe it not even 30. A sophisticated vehicle does not make one a better driver. There is still an element of experience and control that is needed. Furthermore, speed limits are also indicitive of our American society which admittedly can be a little up tight from time to time. Not that I would condone it, but since you mention the Autobahn, I would add that you could also go to Amsterdam, smoke a little weed in a 'coffee car' and then go window shop for a hooker in the red light district. All legal. Just a difference in society. Now as far as Montana I dont know what to say. If I understand they have long stretches of highway the have either very high speed limits or none at all. If that works for them then thats great. shift.gifhappy feet.gif

Cheers!

Yeah well if your approach to stopping moronic behavior was working it would'nt still be happening.

To answer your inquiry as to how I feel I will answer honestly:

I have such sadness and compassion for tailgaters, cutter offers and whateverers.

its a character defect and we all suffer.

So to me the question of if they are a moron or not never even occurs, they are just as they are and we all are suffering on some level.

I guess you could apply the same arguement to a homicide detective. If there approach was working then I guess we wouldnt have homicides.

As for the rest of your post.........................Touchet!!!!!!!!

You are obviously suffering. Look get a life.

Your hair is so short I can read your mind.

And trust me you could not even imagine where I am at.

But I hope you may attain the gifts I have found.

BTW my driving record is spotless...so jackinbox.gif

Suffering from what? You want to enlighten me?

Still haven't received that PM, Yoda.

You and me both pal.

I hope every one takes this ridiculous spirited banter in jest and with a grain of salt. In this day and age it is nice to LOL from time to time which this thread has done for me.

Save some popcorn for me dude!!

Got you covered. Oh, and more beer for our horses!

Suffering from what? You want to enlighten me?

Still haven't received that PM, Yoda.

hysterical.gif

Archived