TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fun with COPS in Colorado

matyellott

My friend, you have admitted to following too close-for 10miles-on the bumper-2-car lengths!-at over the speed limit.-A COP! WTF were you thinking??? Don't say that in court-judge just might slap u harder than the cop. Get a grip-you knew he was a cop and yet you just baited him till he had no choice. If you backed off-to show some respect for the badge-yes-these guys put their lives on the line every time they put on a uniform-he would have gone on his merry way and the same for you.

US Department of Labor Statisics reveal that being a delivery driver has a higher mortality rate than law enforcement. The officer showed no respect for the public or the badge by speeding.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere in the middle of this is a lesson about kicking a sleeping rattlesnake on the trail...

I love it...I will remember that and the other good advise on this thread...turn now and save yourself.

"Hope you take a good look at life and your responsibility to abide by the law as a responsible person in the future."

Yeah dude I am going to take a really hard look at my life, going 10 miles over the speed limit is a terrible thing, I should just turn myself into homeland security, so that me and the underwear bomber can discuss where our lives took a turn for the worse.

"You do not know or is it your concern why the officer was exceeding the speed limit red lights or not, but I would have done what someone else quoted on this thread, either do not exceed the speed limit or turn off somewhere. My 2 cents."

You lapse in logic is interesting, If speeding is dangerous, and that is why I got a ticket then the level of danger my actions represented are equal to the level of danger the cop introduced into the population but going at least as fast, correct? And as far as not concerning myself with what civil servants are doing, as with any elected or public official they do answer to the public. They cannot disregard the law for convince, according to the lawyer I spoke top today (http://www.speeding-tickets-colorado-springs.com/) (719) 260-1002, police cannot speed or park illegally, or run red lights without specific purpose and in my county without their lights on. "a thankless Job?" most jobs are thankless, no one comes to me in the supermarket and says "hey Mat thanks for selling Variable Annuities". This is America, just because someone wears a uniform does not mean they are above the law, and it does not mean they are above reproach.

Going 10 mph over the speed limit is NOT the issue. You're probably a guy with some common sense and best thing to do is use it along with showing some respect for someone that "does" put their life on the line every time they put on their uniform whether you believe it or not, it is the truth. Do you even have a clue what a LEO's responsibilities are or care? They are the one's that will bail some stranger's a$$ out of a serious situation that they've gotten themselves into "every time". Common sense: He's the person that can write you a ticket or arrest you on suspicious cause. Your attitude is everything to a LEO if you don't have any reason for him to arrest you or even write you a ticket, he usually won't. You can either cooperate with respect or not, it's your call to either make it hard on yourself or not. In my 30+ years of experience as a patrolman, investigator, trainer and senior dept. officer, we never cease to wonder just what makes people tick and you are not the exception.

Steve

AZ.

Going 10 mph over the speed limit is NOT the issue. You're probably a guy with some common sense and best thing to do is use it along with showing some respect for someone that "does" put their life on the line every time they put on their uniform whether you believe it or not, it is the truth. Do you even have a clue what a LEO's responsibilities are or care? They are the one's that will bail some stranger's a$$ out of a serious situation that they've gotten themselves into "every time". Common sense: He's the person that can write you a ticket or arrest you on suspicious cause. Your attitude is everything to a LEO if you don't have any reason for him to arrest you or even write you a ticket, he usually won't. You can either cooperate with respect or not, it's your call to either make it hard on yourself or not. In my 30+ years of experience as a patrolman, investigator, trainer and senior dept. officer, we never cease to wonder just what makes people tick and you are not the exception.

Steve

AZ.

Hey all great thoughts the diverganance of thought why I posted this here as opposed to just talking to my friends. As far as what makes me tick well that is a deeper question I can tell you I am former officer in the USMC, and that I love freedom, I see every day how my nation replaces rights with laws, expression with homogenization, I respect people in uniform, my best friends are firemen and military guys. I can tell you if a man smokes weed and gets caught he may not be a bad man, every man has a story, and the up and down black and white world of law enforcement is not reality, even for cops, it depends on the freedom and the application of law that earns my respect. Have I met good cops? Hell yes, did I see people I knew die at columbine because the cops would not go in? Yes again (happy to post my yearbook picture if you doubt me). Did i later see the police department cover up what was know, yep I will never respect a badge on a man if the man himself proves to be nothing but a bully who has something to prove to himself, or a piece of psyche to fill in. And I will question to the highest levels of power any man with tries to force me into stepping in line, unquestioning respect of uniform or rank lead to Bernie Madoff, Enron, Kent State, and to a further extent the extremism of the second war. If I didn’t respect the cop I would not have pulled over, that as with all things we do in life was a decision. Most former and present cops don't know what is like to be on the receiving end of their "justice" because with a simple flash of a badge they are forgiven of all sins. What if the government says all of the cars we love so much are now outlawed because they are not fuel efficient enough? What then? Do we all sell our cars and drive mini coopers? In the words of Ayn Rand "No kings, no Gods, only man" or better for the word we are all facing now "Who is John Gault". As I have stated before the words of my favorite movie "people should not fear their governments governments should fear their people" We all have a voice and that voice does not need to always be a chorus. I will always question why the wall is there even if banging my head aginist that wall leads to my own destruction.

"Hope you take a good look at life and your responsibility to abide by the law as a responsible person in the future."

Yeah dude I am going to take a really hard look at my life, going 10 miles over the speed limit is a terrible thing, I should just turn myself into homeland security, so that me and the underwear bomber can discuss where our lives took a turn for the worse.

"You do not know or is it your concern why the officer was exceeding the speed limit red lights or not, but I would have done what someone else quoted on this thread, either do not exceed the speed limit or turn off somewhere. My 2 cents."

You lapse in logic is interesting, If speeding is dangerous, and that is why I got a ticket then the level of danger my actions represented are equal to the level of danger the cop introduced into the population but going at least as fast, correct? And as far as not concerning myself with what civil servants are doing, as with any elected or public official they do answer to the public. They cannot disregard the law for convince, according to the lawyer I spoke top today (http://www.speeding-tickets-colorado-springs.com/) (719) 260-1002, police cannot speed or park illegally, or run red lights without specific purpose and in my county without their lights on. "a thankless Job?" most jobs are thankless, no one comes to me in the supermarket and says "hey Mat thanks for selling Variable Annuities". This is America, just because someone wears a uniform does not mean they are above the law, and it does not mean they are above reproach.

I've got popcorn ... anyone want some?

:lurk:

I don't know about Co, in Wash I know a couple guys got a ticket like you and guess what?

de judge says just because a cop is going over the speed limit is NO REASON for you to do

the same. He has the right to do so. He is a law enforcement officer. Shut up and pay the ticket

:censored: The snake that trips my trigger is the one who HIDES at the bottom of a hill to fill his quotas :censored:

Let get this out of the way, I don't like cops. Here is my story from today, I was driving to work on I-25 northbound between Castel Rock and teh Tecj Center. I was following what I knew to be an unmarked cop car for 10 mile I was directly behind him at about 2 car lenths the entire time. The COP pull over one lane turns on his lights and slams on his brakes to get behind me. He then pulls me over and says I was doing 85 in a 75, my comment to him was "Wait a sec I was behind you for 10 miles and I was going the exact same speed that you were the entire time, does that mean you were speeding also", I recieved no answer to this question, he took my info and gave me a $165 ticket (which I intend to fight). The COP's light were not on while he was on the interstate, he was not heading to a call at a high rate of speed, yet he was going at least 90 miles an hour, is this legal????

I Lol'd.

You're not too smart to be tailgating a car, which you knew to be an unmarked cop, for 10 miles. I have no sympathy for you. Now go pay your fine, you earned it.

Steve

AZ.

Steve, You are beating your head against a brick wall. I've tried " reason" in the past w/ Mr/ Matyellott, to no avail. Thanks for your service and glad you made it unscathed.!

I have talked with my local PD about the same things. The officer makes their own decisions what they want to do. If the speed limit is 35 mph, 55 mph or 70 mph and you exceed this, you will get a ticket. Is it right that they can go faster than the posted speed limit, NO. But they do. In our local Mustang club, we have some PD and sheriff's in the group. They have been pulled over on cruises by the local PD and have always escape from a ticket. Why? Because they have that special wallet with that shiney badge in it. Is that right? No.

To be safe, which I do, is to push the limits of the law. I will do the exact speed limit, but get there a fast as I can. I have numerouse times, on purpose, take off from a light to be the first one across the other cross walk. What can the officer do about that? Nothing, as long as I did not spin my tires or exceed the posted limit.

I say, Drive Safe and have fun within the posted speed limit.

Tom

Four words "excessive display of speed". You don't even have to squeal you tires, Welcome to Nova Scotia, Canada. :jackinbox:

Ok, you want an honest answer from a LEO, here it is. I spent 33 years as a leo with the LAPD. I went to thousands of calls to setttle stupid family disputes for idiots who could not handle their own problems without trying to kill each other. Cleaned up horriffic traffic accidents caused by another group of morons who drank too much and got behind the wheel. Investigated murders comitted by street gangsters on each other over drugs, turf and some usless piece of shit giving another POS "the eye". I have been stabbed, shot at and earned my one or 2 free passes on a traffic stop-though not many. Don't think its fair-too bad. Life isn't fair. Do I drive a very obviously very fast and flashy car-you bet I do, always have. Could I have gotten a pass on what you admitted to doing-probably yes or not. Would I advertise it and whine about it-NO. You started your post by saying that you don't like cops-personally I don't give a rats ass-thats your problem. I have nothing against you and wish you well in court-just bring your check book. Ok, I feel better now-sometimes I read posts like this one or on other sites -BMW and Ducati MC sites-yes I ride fast bikes also, talking trash about cops and whining about tickets and say nothing-not this time.

Ok, you want an honest answer from a LEO, here it is. I spent 33 years as a leo with the LAPD. I went to thousands of calls to setttle stupid family disputes for idiots who could not handle their own problems without trying to kill each other. Cleaned up horriffic traffic accidents caused by another group of morons who drank too much and got behind the wheel. Investigated murders comitted by street gangsters on each other over drugs, turf and some usless piece of shit giving another POS "the eye". I have been stabbed, shot at and earned my one or 2 free passes on a traffic stop-though not many. Don't think its fair-too bad. Life isn't fair. Do I drive a very obviously very fast and flashy car-you bet I do, always have. Could I have gotten a pass on what you admitted to doing-probably yes or not. Would I advertise it and whine about it-NO. You started your post by saying that you don't like cops-personally I don't give a rats ass-thats your problem. I have nothing against you and wish you well in court-just bring your check book. Ok, I feel better now-sometimes I read posts like this one or on other sites -BMW and Ducati MC sites-yes I ride fast bikes also, talking trash about cops and whining about tickets and say nothing-not this time.

Respectfully, You choose your career, you got paid for it, why are you complaining?

And why does this choice give you the right to be a hypocrite and break the same laws, you wrote tickets for?

This is why most citizens avoid cops and cops usually only have cop friends, so there's your insight, the general public in all economic and social strata hates hypocrites.

Thanks for the honest answer, now I know why the bitter guy pulling me over has a boner over going 5mph over. He had a much more sad experience earlier and is still upset.

Sad way to live. Congratulations on retirement.

:redcard:

That's all I'm saying.

I'm not here to take sides, but I do have many friends that are Cops. I met them through my motorcycle friends and throughout the years have met a good share of the Fort Wayne Indiana cops. I spend alot of time with 4-5 of them with our motorcycle trips to Sturgis and Florida. For the most part they practice what they preach. I hear many stories from them where they let alot of people off. They do not tolerate taunting or unrespectful behavior, I can guarantee you that. They like to be treated like we would like to be treated. I'm sure there are a fair share of A hole cops out there as well just as there are A hole civilians.

Imagine if cops didn't drive over the posted limits. Life would suck. Traffic would crawl.

In the meantime, all you can do is keep a low profile. For me it meant stripe 'deleting' along with some very careful and aware driving. You say you identified the car as unmarked. Your next step after that should have been to back off. When you challenge the guy with the badge - you lose.

Sort of hafta agree, certain behaviors have consequences with a high degree of predictibility, e.g.: pulling on Superman's cape, spitting into the wind, and effing with the Lone Ranger.

and you don't mess around with him.............err, i mean jim! :dance:

All the other circumstances aside, you still tailgated another vehicle for 10 miles, at 80MPH...that’s 8 minutes of tailgating. I would have been spraying your ass with washer fluid for the last 9 minutes of that episode. If I were a cop, I would have pulled you over a lot earlier then he did.

The best advice you’re gonna get on this forum is to avoid the cops by keeping a low profile. It’s tough enough to do that in these cars, but tailgating a cop is an easy way to get yourself noticed be Johnny law. Now, because you wanted to be some tough guy and try to pace the cop car yourself, you have to hire a lawyer go to court, pay the fines, and cause yourself a huge amount of unnecessary aggravation. You should have dropped back out of the officers sights.

Even if this cop is ticked/fined/suspended, will it really make it worth your actions? Will it make it worth the lawyer’s fees, fines, and lost time just to see him punished? I can’t see how it could because what happens to the cop will have absolutely no bearing on your life.

You say you were in the USMC and I thank you for your service to this country. It’s surprising though that someone with service experience would have such a problem with authority, which you clearly do. Your actions on the road, what you’ve said about cops in this thread, and your persistence in shifting the focus from what you did wrong to what the cop was doing wrong illustrates clearly your problem with authority

In the future, just worry about yourself as it’s your actions and only your actions that you can control.

All I can say is you get what you ask for and I travel the same roads during rush hour and in my work truck or in the Shelby it is all the same and the LEO's are there doing what is best for us keeping us safe....pay the fine and loose the points on your license as I have for speeding (85 in a 55) I didn't whine I just paid the fine and remebered that we have to obey the law.

good luck

I've always thought it was funny how the people who complain about law enforcement speeding are always the first one to cry about why it took so long for us to get there when they need us. People also forget that a drivers license is a privilege that can be taken away by the state at any time, it is not a "right." My two cents on this subject that may or may not help is this. At least where I work, when your dispatched to a call you are also told what Code to run. Code 1= get there when you can, don't exceed the speed limit, Code 2=you are allowed to exceed the speed limit (even without your lights and siren on) and use your lights and siren only to clear traffic out of your way, then proceed without them on again, Code 3=lights and siren and get there as fast and safe as possible.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend 100% of law enforcement because just like the rest of society we have our bad apples. But I will say the next time you see a law enforcement officer speeding with no lights and siren running, chances are there on the way to a call.

Last thing is this, your mother, wife or daughter is broke down in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire in the middle of the night. Do you want me doing the speed limit to get there?

I've always thought it was funny how the people who complain about law enforcement speeding are always the first one to cry about why it took so long for us to get there when they need us. People also forget that a drivers license is a privilege that can be taken away by the state at any time, it is not a "right." My two cents on this subject that may or may not help is this. At least where I work, when your dispatched to a call you are also told what Code to run. Code 1= get there when you can, don't exceed the speed limit, Code 2=you are allowed to exceed the speed limit (even without your lights and siren on) and use your lights and siren only to clear traffic out of your way, then proceed without them on again, Code 3=lights and siren and get there as fast and safe as possible.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend 100% of law enforcement because just like the rest of society we have our bad apples. But I will say the next time you see a law enforcement officer speeding with no lights and siren running, chances are there on the way to a call.

Last thing is this, your mother, wife or daughter is broke down in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire in the middle of the night. Do you want me doing the speed limit to get there?

:angry22: It's BS when you call drivers license a privilege I suppose voting is a privelege also you are doing a favor by LETTING us drive -bull- as long as I don't violate my rights --I can drive all I want. I can also vote If I want. IS FREE SPEECH A PRIVILEGE ??????? :angry22:

:angry22: It's BS when you call drivers license a privilege I suppose voting is a privelege also you are doing a favor by LETTING us drive -bull- as long as I don't violate my rights --I can drive all I want. I can also vote If I want. IS FREE SPEECH A PRIVILEGE ??????? :angry22:

Are you serious???

Voting and the freedom of speech are covered by the US Constitution. Last time I read the Constitution it didn't say anything about your rights to drive a car. That's why you have to get a driver's license, because the State is granting you the privilege to drive. Just saying!

Mike

Last thing I would want to be is the poor sod who had to confront my mother or my wife on a lone highway hysterical.gif

Are you serious???

Voting and the freedom of speech are covered by the US Constitution. Last time I read the Constitution it didn't say anything about your rights to drive a car. That's why you have to get a driver's license, because the State is granting you the privilege to drive. Just saying!

Mike

I certanily don't want to get involved in Constitutional interpretation generally or the right v. privilege thing specifically. But in most states, if you passed the licensing test(s) and have a driver's license, certain events have to occur befor you lose your DL. The most obvious is conviction for certain traffic offenses. Or you can lose it administratively before a hearing officer (due process). There are several other ways, but needless to say the state cannot pick someone out of the crowd and yank their license.

ame='pmorritt' date='16 January 2010 - 10:49 AM' timestamp='1263667764' post='888414']

Respectfully, You choose your career, you got paid for it, why are you complaining?

And why does this choice give you the right to be a hypocrite and break the same laws, you wrote tickets for?

This is why most citizens avoid cops and cops usually only have cop friends, so there's your insight, the general public in all economic and social strata hates hypocrites.

Thanks for the honest answer, now I know why the bitter guy pulling me over has a boner over going 5mph over. He had a much more sad experience earlier and is still upset.

Sad way to live. Congratulations on retirement.

First off, he was not complaining. Just giving you an insight on what the job entails. If you want robots out there enforcing the laws, have at it. I choose people with their accompanying strengths and weaknesses. Hypocrisy is found in all our lives. One of our foibles. I speed sometimes and have been ticketed, regardless of my chosen career. Just because a small portion of a police officer's job entails giving tickets, does not make him a hypocrite if he ocassionally speeds when on or off duty. If thats unacceptable to you, refer to my third sentence. If the general public hates hypocrites, thats a hellava lot of self -loathing! To state that most people avoid cops and cops usually only have cop friends explodes with naivete' and doesn't even deserve a response. Your welcome for his honest answer. I believe that the vast majority of LEO are out there doing the best they can, being fair and even in their enforcement of all laws, and getting home to their families in one peice. Hope this thread gives you a better understanding. If it doesn't, I wish you the best.

Archived