TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hertz Cars "Do Not Remove" Envelope

gth0007

Just a quick note to all of the 2006 and 2007 GTH owners. As part of the new vehicle installation procedure Hertz placed a large white sealed envelope in the trunk that contained the extra key, extra remote, extra Hertz key tag inserts, and extra Hertz car number stickers. This envelope could be under the spare tire or either behind the right or left side trunk trim panels. This envelope contents was used by Hertz when customers lost the keys or removed the Hertz window and door jamb stickers (common occurence). In some cases the envelope may be missing or some of the contents removed as Hertz used the extra items. Also most, if not all, of the Hertz GTH Coupes in 2006 had a GPS tracking device concealed in the interior area. The cars were electronically inventoried daily. Also they could be "tracked" live by selected senior Car Control/ Security Managers. Your location, speed, and direction could be displayed and monitored. Also if the battery was disconnected an e-mail would be sent to Hertz advising this action and the current location of the car. Most thieves didn't realize the GPS system had a long length battery pack. back-up. Many 2006 GTH Coupes were respossessed / towed as a result of "suspicious" activity and / or Rental Agreement violations using the GPS to locate the car. I'm not sure if the 2007 GTH convertibles had the GPS as Hertz new management was balking at paying the $15 monthly GPS fee. Hope this information is useful

Just a quick note to all of the 2006 and 2007 GTH owners. As part of the new vehicle installation procedure Hertz placed a large white sealed envelope in the trunk that contained the extra key, extra remote, extra Hertz key tag inserts, and extra Hertz car number stickers. This envelope could be under the spare tire or either behind the right or left side trunk trim panels. This envelope contents was used by Hertz when customers lost the keys or removed the Hertz window and door jamb stickers (common occurence). In some cases the envelope may be missing or some of the contents removed as Hertz used the extra items. Also most, if not all, of the Hertz GTH Coupes in 2006 had a GPS tracking device concealed in the interior area. The cars were electronically inventoried daily. Also they could be "tracked" live by selected senior Car Control/ Security Managers. Your location, speed, and direction could be displayed and monitored. Also if the battery was disconnected an e-mail would be sent to Hertz advising this action and the current location of the car. Most thieves didn't realize the GPS system had a long length battery pack. back-up. Many 2006 GTH Coupes were respossessed / towed as a result of "suspicious" activity and / or Rental Agreement violations using the GPS to locate the car. I'm not sure if the 2007 GTH convertibles had the GPS as Hertz new management was balking at paying the $15 monthly GPS fee. Hope this information is useful

Went on the treasure hunt and found it, not much inside a couple of warranty manuals but still a great find, thanks for the information.

Does anyone know what the GPS unit looks like so I can look for that next?

I am I to understand that the GPS was removed from all Hertz cars? Or is is still behind the glove box?

It was suppose to be removed from the cars before they went to auction. Mine was gone, but I have read on this site about a couple owners who found them behind the glovebox. I guess Hertz forgot to remove them.

• 8 months later...

Here is the envelope

WHAT!!!!!!!!!..................and you removed it!!!! :finger: now your in deep $hit!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Missed this thread, but just went and looked now, no envelope, but I DO have the GPS unit. It is still mounted under the dash behind the glove box...

Thanks for the info. Just purchased a 2006 GT-H #131. We will definately check this out!

Congrats on your new Hertz and welcome to TS. All your questions and concers can be found here.

Thank you for the welcome! I have learned a lot already,glad I found this forum. We also have a signed 66 clone that we purchased a month ago. The oringinal owner actually road raced it in Virginia. We got a ton of documentation with the car. They really turn heads when we drive them both. Sadly the cruise season is short here in NY. We are having withdrawals,lol.

Welcome to "GT-H" world. There has been a lot of interesting topics on these cars in the Team Shelby forums. A lot is known about them and owners are enthusastic about sharing what they learn. Good luck and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to send a PM regards, Larry Miller, Team Shelby / SAI Registrar, Hertz GT-H

Archived