TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interview With Team Mustang's Jim Owen

Guest staff2

Guest admin.stangs

You can download and view our 13 March 2006 interview with Ford Mustang Brand Manager, Jim Owen here:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/index.php?c...13_sectionid=11

Your feedback about these interviews is important to both this site and Ford !

GT500 Commentary:

Post right in this thread

Mustang Commentary - Please Post Your Mustang Comments Here:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...p?showtopic=524

I had the same question about price. The person answering the questions said 'we will be sticking with what we've said, low forties for the coupe'. That is, of course, not what they have been saying. I'm not sure if repeating something often enough makes it fact, but that was definitely not what we have been hearing from Ford, HTT, et al. There was no mention of gas guzzler tax and whether it is included in MSRP. And there was a promise about final pricing being available closer to when the car is available. Do they actually expect average folks to order a car without knowing exactly what the price is? That fails the common sense check. Since the car has been essentially 'done' for a year, what is up with the delay in pricing?

Yeah, that was the first time I ever heard about low 40s. Tack on shipping and gas guzzler tax and you're starting to talk real money for a Mustang.

BTW, did Ford send its most junior executive or does this guy just come across that way? In any event, thanks for putting forth the effort. Next time see if Ford can send an adult.

Yeah, that was the first time I ever heard about low 40s. Tack on shipping and gas guzzler tax and you're starting to talk real money for a Mustang.

BTW, did Ford send its most junior executive or does this guy just come across that way? In any event, thanks for putting forth the effort. Next time see if Ford can send an adult.

Jr. Executive? He's been there for 20 years, 6 with Team Mustang? How is he a junior? ?

From what I understand, the pricing delay is not with Team Mustang, but from much higher up at Ford.

You can download and view our 13 March 2006 interview with Ford Mustang Brand Manager, Jim Owen here:

GT500 Commentary:

Robert,

First & foremost, a BIG THANK YOU for asking some of our questions from the board & trying to get real answers from Team Mustang. ;)

I was very disappointed that Jim Owen was in a hurry to answer every question with very fast talking & being very vague :censored: . From past experience, people who don’t look directly at you when answering questions tend not to tell the complete truth about anything & Jim’s answers prove that.

In regards to pricing, production numbers & availability, that was a slap in our face. I have been a loyal FORD buyer ever since I bought my 1st car back in 1982. If Jim was on this side of the fence & not working at FORD trying to purchase this car I would hope he would feel differently, but apparently he already has one in his garage from working on the program. :censored:

Based on what Jim said about how FORD suggests MSRP to our independent dealers, I thought that was crap. And then he acted like we wanted them to build 100’s of thousands of Shelby’s (which we don’t) just enough say 10 to 12k of them. :headscratch:

So why “Dodge” the question with an answer that tells the customer he or she needs to shop-around when looking at or purchasing a Shelby? :headscratch: He knows what’s happening on eBay; he mentioned that, so we know their watching? :censored:

To me this is a real bad PRESS for FORD & why FORD is losing market share. They don’t seem to care! :shrug: Maybe he needs to be reminded that Brand Loyalty does pay & not caring about the customer doesn’t. :headscratch:

I can’t remember but I thought I read an article about FORD looking at scaling back on the number of dealerships that are currently out their because some don’t sell enough cars & trucks to be considered as a volume dealer?

Again I say if they don’t care about what dealers charge why worry about how many dealerships you have if they are your only customer you care about? If they don’t care about US I will have to start looking at purchasing other manufacturers products that are more serious about winning me over as a customer without trying to put me in the poor house.

:bowdown: Thanks again for asking our questions, you did a great job! :bowdown:

GT500 Commentary:

Very nice. Thank you.

I listened to the interview and thought there was no meaningfull information.

I have bought FORDS for 35 years starting with a new 1971 Mustang Mach1

1979 Ford Fiesta

1983 Ford Tempo

1986 Ford Ranger

1990 Ford Ranger

1994 Ford F150

1994 Ford Mustang

1998 Ford Ranger

2004 Sport Trad

2005 Ford F150

And I NO LONGER have any loality to FORD

If I don't get a GT500 the Challanger looks GOOD

Jr. Executive? He's been there for 20 years, 6 with Team Mustang? How is he a junior? ?

His demeanor indicates a lack of experience answering questions - the word "smarmy" comes to mind. And if he's going to wear a straight collar, the least he could do is use the collar stays that came with the shirt. :)

Of course when I question people I have an advantage over you - they are under oath, and I'm asking questions designed to make sure they're telling the truth. ;)

Robert: You did a great job with the questions, to bad Jim Owen did not want to set-up to the plate with some honest answers. He did a great impression of the Ali Shuffle ! Is this guy living in a time warp or what. No wonder Ford's in trouble ??? I'm sure like Ford he could care less about who gets what and that the loyal Ford buyer gets squat. Down with the ship Jim. No wonder Carrol Shelby is building his own 2007 Shelby Mustangs. Now that could be the Collector Car to have 20 years from now !!!

Robert,

:idea: Is their anyway that we can watch the entire interview (uninterupted) in it's Entirety without being broken up in question segments?

It sounds like you asked alot of questions that he eluded to but didn't comment on? :headscratch:

Again thanks for doing such a great job... IT'S GREATLY APPREIATED! :happy feet:

WOW!!!

No minced words here!!!

Thanks for posting the interview so quickly Robert, you're top dog in my books.

I admit the low forties was slipped in there, in a definately smoke and mirrors kind of way,

saying that it will be where they have said it would be right along. It has been said right along

that it would be under $40k. Definately not an honest approach as far as I'm concerned. :nonono:

KingCobra.

I'm going to try to address all the concerns I've seen so far.

I was on site with Robert, and threw in a question or two, but lacked the guts to actually ask anything on film.

Jim Owens didn't rush the answers, that I can tell you. He was very enthusiastic, and would have continued on for alot longer I believe had we had the time. The answers were limited to 2 minutes maximum because 1) we had a short amount of time to cover the interview and 2) It would keep the downloads at a decent size, for those folks with dial up, etc.

I'm not real sure where the "jr executive" comment came from, and I don't understand the basis of the point. Mr. Owens spoke to us about his experience working with the Mustang camp for the past 6 years. He seems to have a real good feel for the legacy, the brand itself, and what the customers are looking for in the car itself.

This hasn't been mentioned yet (but I'm sure it will)...............re: the independant rear suspension. I feel that Jim was right on target with his answer, and frankly, I couldn't agree more. I've relied on solid rear axle Mustangs since I entered the game. I've found success with them, and proudly found excellent results both on and of track with them.

I thought the interview went great. I look forward to getting back in there when they have more information, and when I find my nerve, that I seemed to have lost somewhere on I-75 that day. :)

Just my $.02.

Evil95GT,

Who uses Dial-up anymore? :boring::headscratch::nonono::shrug:

Thanks for the insider comments, but if you were us (On the Outside looking in) you may have came to the same conclusion that Jim's answers were ....say manufactured or scripted to sound like the same as any other previous interviews he done that day with other media type people trying to be the 1st person to get any bit of information or NEW "NEWS" on a car that seems to be getting caught up in some Bureaucratic Profiteering hogwash. :headscratch:

Without Brand loyality customers like us, you have a lot less customers & a lot less market share. :nonono:

This hasn't been mentioned yet (but I'm sure it will)...............re: the independant rear suspension. I feel that Jim was right on target with his answer, and frankly, I couldn't agree more.

OK, I'm gonna throw this out on the board so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm spewing this info from pure recollection, not an infinite knowledge of all that is cars. Disclaimer: I could care less if the car came with an IRS or a solid axle, I’m just making an observation and not trying to turn this into another 18-page IRS vs. Solid Axle battle of the technical knowledge showdown.

Jim Owens forgot to mention that while all the others cars with IRS in the same class had to run stock motors and air intake, while the FR 500C's (or whatever it's called) engine didn't resemble anything from the Ford assembly line.

Am I wrong, right, semi-wrong, semi-right?

Evil95GT,

Who uses Dial-up anymore? :boring::headscratch::nonono::shrug:

Thanks for the insider comments, but if you were us (On the Outside looking in) you may have came to the same conclusion that Jim's answers were ....say manufactured or scripted to sound like the same as any other previous interviews he done that day with other media type people trying to be the 1st person to get any bit of information or NEW "NEWS" on a car that seems to be getting caught up in some Bureaucratic Profiteering hogwash. :headscratch:

Without Brand loyality customers like us, you have a lot less customers & a lot less market share. :nonono:

Coldwater,

I totally understand what you're saying. If I was the "outsider looking in", I'd likely feel the same way (and usually do, when reading interviews in magazines, etc). Just seeing what they had to say in person made all the difference. Even body language (I'm a geek who took a college course dealing with things of that nature, LMAO), atmosphere...........it was very different from anything I had seen before.

I also understand the brand loyalty comment. Collectively, my husband and I have owned 7 Mustangs over the past 12 years. I just love the cars...........what can I say? When we look to buy a car, the Mustang has always been a natural choice for us. This might be an uber-lame comparison, but for us, the cars are like a blank canvas that we can practice our art on.........something we can turn into whatever we choose. While I have to admit I've made eyes with a couple other cars, I wouldn't trade my current Mustangs for anything in the world.

The way I see it, this is just a weird time. An almost unique time. The information is just lacking. I feel that with more frequent interviews, as well as the availability of answers, everyone (both the insiders and outsiders) will find a comfort zone of sorts.

I'm not real sure where the "jr executive" comment came from, and I don't understand the basis of the point.

It came from me. In case you didn't read it, the exact quote was "BTW, did Ford send its most junior executive or does this guy just come across that way?"

Perhaps he 1) came across better live than on tape; or 2) he provided more substantive answers off- tape than on.

1) We specifically told Jim to limit his answer to between 2 - 2.5 minutes.

2) It's perfectly acceptable to commentary on Jim Owen's answers.

3) It's not cool to comment about anyone's appearance: dress, hair, age. . . . .though. In the future, we plan to interview other people at Ford from various departments who would not appreciate reading comments about their appearance or that of their fellow employees.

If I was a Ford employee invited to an interview on a site in which people made attacks based on appearance, I would have doubts about accepting the invitation.

About the interview segments - nothing was cut out - it was only spliced into sections so people with slow connections could download everything.

3) It's not cool to comment about anyone's appearance: dress, hair, age. . . . .though. In the future, we plan to interview other people at Ford from various departments who would not appreciate reading comments about their appearance or that of their fellow employees.

If I was a Ford employee invited to an interview on a site in which people made attacks based on appearance, I would have doubts about accepting the invitation.

About the interview segments - nothing was cut out - it was only spliced into sections so people with slow connections could download everything.

Comments, I'm sure were made in part as an emotional response to the stress that we are all feeling in regards to this car, and our passion for Ford performance. Owning a piece of Mustang history, that is the most powerful ever produced, and assisted by the legendary Carroll Shelby is, to put it mildly a dream of epic proportions for a muscle car enthusiast. It drives the emotional response to all-time highs, and devastating lows, based on the prospect of whether or not we can obtain it. To demonstrate the emotion that we all feel, I offer myself as a prime example. I have never necessarily been a Ford fan, due to the fact that (in my opinion) Ford has represented an overly conservative product line that has never driven me to buy a Ford. I was 2 steps away from putting down a deposit, and ordering a new Lotus Elise. A car built and designed for one sole purpose, to exite. Then researching the net for information on the Elise, I came accross information about the resurection of the Greatest (my opinion) muscle car of all time, and would include the collaboration of one of my all time heros of performance Carroll Shelby. And not only did I put my money where my mouth is (I put down a $3000 deposit in June '05, on a car that technically didn't even exist), and I'm the biggest poster on this forum in support of a car I hope to own, and a dream I hope to live. So, on behalf (if I may) of all of the poeple on this forum, I hope you will forgive and understand the misguided emotions that presented themselves offensively, as I believe wholeheartedly that no offense was intended. We thank you for this forum, your time, and your support, and appreciate the opportunity to have a voice with Team Mustang, and share the passion that is the Shelby GT500!!!

Thank you,

KingCobra.

Robert -

Thank you for trying to bring us some information in this wierd time as one other poster put it. Yes, indeed. Wierd. I have some issue with some of the information provided, but don't mistake any criticism of that information as an indication of a lack of gratitude for your efforts to get us some answers. Thanks for that.

Mr. Owen may be an outstanding Brand Manager and effective leader, but that is not the way he came across to me, or to others apparently. His body language and tone of response left me with the impression he'd rather be somewhere else doing something else. I believe that is why he looked to others, and to me frankly, like a junior suit sent out to answer questions from an uninformed audience (which we and you are NOT). I do a lot of public speaking, sometimes to audiences that are not highly receptive to what I must tell them. They would kill me if I did it the way he did it. Enough said.

The comment on the pricing that I and others have commented on reminds me of the old question: 'How do you boil a live frog?' The answer, of course, is that you keep turning up the heat slowly until you cook him. If you turn it up too quickly, he'll just jump out. Slowly inching up the price while saying this is what we've always said = frog boiling. Your nose is growing, Pinocchio.

We continue to be told that the solid axle is as good as IRS in so many words. Rubbish. The comparison continues to be made between apples and oranges. I am glad any time Ford wins races. Anytime. The Mustang may well have won the series despite, not because of, the solid axle. A race car is a total package, and different rules were apparently appled to different cars in the class to foster competition. The real question is whether, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, the IRS GT500 would or would not outperform the stick axle GT500. No other comparisons will give an objective basis for evaluation. This is engineering 101. On the roads I drive everyday - not on a smooth race track - there is no doubt IRS will outperform solid axle. Just say you did for price point, Ford, we all know that's the truth of it. Does the GT500 outperform the IRS 03/04 Cobra? If a new design can't do better than an old design, then there's clearly a problem. Of course it should be better with redesigned geometry / lower roll center / etc. Not an apples to apples comparison, though.

The reason IRS continues to be an issue, in my mind, is that if you compare an 03/04 Cobra MINUS the $5K IRS is alleged to add to the price, there is at least $10K price difference (a 33% price increase) between the last Cobra and the GT500. Individually we will all decide with our wallets whether the GT500 is 'worth it'. The interview responses did not convince me it is. As my handle says, I have owned three SVTs to date. I'm a Powerlease guy, so I'm guaranteed a car and have negotiated what should be a below MSRP deal. If, with all that, I still have doubts, I think there's a problem here. I'm not the Lone Ranger, either. I think the interview responses just continued the tepid feelings I have for this car, with what it has, for this price. Ford will not fold if I don't buy this car. But, taken as a whole, there are many folks who sound as though their loyalty has been bent or broken by this whole evolution. Does Ford realize or care? I don't think any one thing is the root cause of Ford's financial position right now. But I would think they'd realize it's easier to keep the loyalists than to try to create new ones. The interview lost an opportunity, if they realized there was a problem, that is.

So, again, Robert thanks for your efforts. Unfortunately the message I received was not comforting.

I totally agree with Three Cobras. The right words at the right time.

Robert, I appreciate it very much that you do all this work for us. An indeed it's not cool to comment about anyone's appearance: dress, hair, age. I also can understand the frustration everybody is coping with.

Why is Ford waiting to announce her price for the GT500? Personally I think that wait how many people are ordering the car in this coming two months. From there they have a pretty good idea how high they can set the price, with calculating the percentage of people who will back out. I hope I am wrong.

PS: Robert, do you happen to know the price and can't share it with us?

I agree Robert, their is no reason what so ever to personally attack someones appearence that is trying to help us with information we so disparately want. Remember people... they have feeings too & don't bite the hands that feed us info!

Thanks again Robert for being a model of integrity :D

I'm a community college professor (in other words I'm not rich); I've aways been a Ford fantatic (I currently own a 96 Cobra, two F-150s, and a Mazda6), but now, having heard the results of your interview, I realize Ford could care less about people like me. I have about as much chance of owning a new Shelby GT500 as I do of owning a 2006 Ford GT. I can't tell you how unimpressed I was with Jim Owen, or how disappointed and hurt I feel (for example the response about how Ford suggests an MSRP but dealers are independant business men who can screw people if they want). I have a lot of students each semester (at least 100) and when it's not inappropriate I share my love of Ford products--that good PR is about to change. I think my next new car is going to be an Audi or a BMW (it almost makes me sick to say that). No wonder Ford is in trouble. :censored:

I do have to agree that it sounds like Ford isn’t overly concerned about getting or keeping customers. With their current financial issues I would think they would like to cash in on what could be a very good money making opportunity. I did recently have a chance to speak to a representative with Ford and SVT and was told almost the same thing (to shop around and I should be able to find one).

Currently I am number 19 on the list with my dealer but with the productions numbers I have been hearing and the comments from Fords marketing my chances of acquiring a GT500 look very grim. Im sure a lot of people are on multiple lists and some on lists may not actually qualify for financing but I do wish Ford would stick to what is was saying originally and build all the GT500’s that are ordered.

If Ford is worried about devaluing the car by building more than there is demand for then they should implement a program to where each one ordered by a dealer must be sold before another will be produced an delivered (to insure all produced are sold). If that means 25,000 are produced the first year then I would think this would be all the better for Fords profit margins and in the grand skeam of things 25K isn’t a whole lot. It almost sounds like Ford is trying to cover up for issues with production by saying they are trying to maintain exclusivity (like problems with availability of parts or other issues). Personally, I would imagine the $40K price tag alone would insure some degree of exclusivity.

I do hope Ford revises its stance and builds more GT500’s or comes clean with the real reason they cant build more. I was planning on getting a GT500 and my wife was planning on later getting a Mustang convertible. At this point things are not looking to good. I figure if I am unable to get a GT500 and Ford inst too concerned about customer loyalty the I might just have to wait another year and a half and pick up 425+ HP Challenger. That might also mean when it comes time for my wife to get her new car and to replace our Expedition we might have to look elsewhere than Ford (that would be a three car sales lost for Ford). Unfortunately it just doesn’t feel like Ford is extremely concerned with giving the customer what they want and trying to maintain brand loyalty.

Your feedback about these interviews is important to both this site and Ford ![/b]

GT500 Commentary:

Robert. You have to have one of the best jobs in the world ! Great little teaser videos. Thanks very much for keeping us up to date with available information.

Archived