TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mobil 1 5W-50

esc

I know the discussion of oils has been beat to death! Last I read, I believe the general consensus was to stick with the Ford product and that you could not get Mobil 1 in 5W-50. I recently found out that Exxon/Mobil does in fact make a 5W-50 synthetic blend. The problem is that it is not available at your typical retail outlet! However, apparently it comes standard in a Z06.

My youngest child is 17 and full of entitlement issues (as many teenagers are). I refuse to hand him any cash that he did not somehow earn. On that note, I recently decided to let him change the oil in our vehicles (all but the Shelby of course). Between a company I own and my own vehicles there about 15 vehicles that he could service. I decided to call a local "wholesaler" thinking that I should buy oil in bulk. In talking to the sales rep, he mentions amongst other brands that his company carries Mobil 1. So I ask him why they don't make a 5W-50 and he tells me that they do and that he can get it for me!

So now the $64,000 question. Is anyone using Mobil 1 in there Shelby?

:headscratch:

^ If available as a 5W50, I would. In my opinion and based on research that I have done, Mobil 1 is one of the best oil available. Their Viscocity Index is at the top of any oil made. My MB uses Mobil 1, my BMW uses Mobil 1, My GTR uses Mobil 1, my HD uses Mobil 1......

I know the discussion of oils has been beat to death! Last I read, I believe the general consensus was to stick with the Ford product and that you could not get Mobil 1 in 5W-50. I recently found out that Exxon/Mobil does in fact make a 5W-50 synthetic blend. The problem is that it is not available at your typical retail outlet! However, apparently it comes standard in a Z06.

My youngest child is 17 and full of entitlement issues (as many teenagers are). I refuse to hand him any cash that he did not somehow earn. On that note, I recently decided to let him change the oil in our vehicles (all but the Shelby of course). Between a company I own and my own vehicles there about 15 vehicles that he could service. I decided to call a local "wholesaler" thinking that I should buy oil in bulk. In talking to the sales rep, he mentions amongst other brands that his company carries Mobil 1. So I ask him why they don't make a 5W-50 and he tells me that they do and that he can get it for me!

So now the $64,000 question. Is anyone using Mobil 1 in there Shelby?

Mobile 1 IMHO is a GREAT oil, and yes, others will say different. I use it in all my cars, except for the Shelby, and I also send samples off at each oil change to have it analyzed, and I simply couldn't be happier with Mobil 1.

I too, was disappointed when I learned that Mobile 1 makes 5W-50 (like you mentioned) but does not offer it in the US Market. :banghead: I didn't bother to ask about what it would take to get it shipped out here but... seeing that you've got your hands on it...

What are they asking for a case? :lurk:

Mobile 1 IMHO is a GREAT oil, and yes, others will say different. I use it in all my cars, except for the Shelby, and I also send samples off at each oil change to have it analyzed, and I simply couldn't be happier with Mobil 1.

I too, was disappointed when I learned that Mobile 1 makes 5W-50 (like you mentioned) but does not offer it in the US Market. :banghead: I didn't bother to ask about what it would take to get it shipped out here but... seeing that you've got your hands on it...

What are they asking for a case? :lurk:

The guy just gave me a verbal bid and to be honest, I am confident that he will do better before we are through. I have him currently getting me a price on a drum of 5W-30 in Mobil 1 (for everything else besides my Shelby and diesels) and then I will have a written bid. What he told me over the phone was $40.04 for a case of six which I believe is only 5% off retail. I can walk into any auto parts store and get a ten percent discount just by asking (I did exactly that last night). Obviously unfortunately the local auto parts stores don't carry the 5W-50. I will post what I ultimately get if for and how many cases that I had to buy to get a decent price!

And by the way, if I misspoke on the Corvettes, I apologize. I must have miss read that on the Mobil 1 site.

I have 8 quarts of Mobil 1 5W50 in the garage it does not meet warranty specs. That being said I bought it in 08 when I first got my car and did not realize it did not meet ford specs.

Maybe the new stuff meets the spec, although a lot of dollars to get certified for a few cars.

My Ford service dept told me to use the Mobil 1 5w-30, and that it was ok as far as warranty issues??

Another reputable tech that I know who they sent to a specail school for oil told me that mobil 1 is one of only a couple on the market that is 100% fully synthetec. These statements don't mean its right but I would think that if they thought the Mororcraft was what I should run they would hav told me. They had nothing to gain or loose either way??

Isn't there a non bias independent lab that tests oil such as consumer reports where we can get the facts?

Interesting I remember reading that Mobile1 5w/30 actually flows better at cold

temp compared to their own and competitors 5w/20.............

Using Mobile1 5w/30 in the 05 Mustang GT.................

Still using the Motorcraft 5w/50 in the 08 Shelby until the Warranty

is out and then switch to the better Mobile1 5w/50................................... :)

I've run the Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 2008 Shelby GT since it's first oil change and I run it at 5,000 mile intervals...It is still very clean looking when I change it and I've got almost 24,000 miles on her now...Not a problem at all with Mobil 1 oil...

Ok,

First, The Shelby GT and the GT500 do not have the same engine (obviously) so the mobil 1 in the GT does not count.

Second, Mobil 1 is a superior oil to most if not all, but they do not spec a 5w-50 in the US for our car, nor do they sell it in the US. (unless this has changed since I spoke with them directly) There is even a Mobil 1 Lube Center a few miles from the house here in Houston, and they couldn't get it.

Third, if someone is telling you differently when they are changing your oil, I would ask them to show me the oil. Not to say that all places, or that your place is dishonest, but if they are they would not be the first. (I would probably do that even if it wasn't for the 5w-50, unless their standard oil is fine for you.)

Fourth, I too had been using the Roush/ Valvoline and was fortunate enough to buy several cases up front, but Roush and Valvoline have split up so the oil is no longer available through Roush. Do not know if Valvoline plans to continue makeing the oil or not.

Off topic, I've got pictures of my car in the exact same spot as yours, pretty cool experience!!!!!!!!

Yes, i would have to agree, i was also lucky enough to get the build sheets and some other production line documentation. Before it was shipped the lead SVT Engineer took it for a "Shakedown" for me and found (and corrected) three things.

JD

Fourth, I too had been using the Roush/ Valvoline and was fortunate enough to buy several cases up front, but Roush and Valvoline have split up so the oil is no longer available through Roush. Do not know if Valvoline plans to continue makeing the oil or not.

Just ordered some of the Roush/Valvoline oil from Jegs. It has the correct spec and is still available through them. Their website shows a different color bottle so maybe Valv is still gong to market it.

My Ford service dept told me to use the Mobil 1 5w-30, and that it was ok as far as warranty issues??

Did you believe them? The service rep may not have known the oil requirement for the car - plus check that the 6.5 quarts of oil was used. You might have gotten the standard Mustang V6 or GT oil change instead of the GT500 requirements - heard bad stories on here about dealers who've done that.

if you go to mobil 1 website it does not show that it makes 5w50 oil so to be on the safe side stick with the ford oil until the warranty is over or ford will likely not cover the warranty

I can't see why Ford wouldn't cover the warranty when it's their dealers using the oil.

Archived