TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Instructional Driving course recommendations please...

BoneDoc

I have never been road racing and plan to give it a try this summer.

before i go out in my SS I want to get some formal training in how to manage a road course.

Does anyone have any specific driving school recommendations?

would be nice to find a school that uses GT500 as their instruction vehicle so that I can get a feel for what I will be dealing with.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Ron,

It is unfortunate you could not join us at the Bash in Vegas. There were instructors there (without cost) who are top notch and who are very experienced with our cars. What I would suggest, before you move to a professional school type deal is to check out your local Mustang Club or, if you have one, a Cobra or Shebly Owners club. I have received my instruction from such folks and have no complaints. As important is the fact that they instruct you in your own car. I do not think you will find anyone who uses GT500s for their school cars. Your particular car requires a great deal of skill to drive well. There were a good number of them in Vegas, many driven by folks who drive them well. Good luck with your search for quality instruction. For me, driving these cars at speed is what they were created for and is the essence of ownership.

Jim

Ron,

It is unfortunate you could not join us at the Bash in Vegas. There were instructors there (without cost) who are top notch and who are very experienced with our cars. What I would suggest, before you move to a professional school type deal is to check out your local Mustang Club or, if you have one, a Cobra or Shebly Owners club. I have received my instruction from such folks and have no complaints. As important is the fact that they instruct you in your own car. I do not think you will find anyone who uses GT500s for their school cars. Your particular car requires a great deal of skill to drive well. There were a good number of them in Vegas, many driven by folks who drive them well. Good luck with your search for quality instruction. For me, driving these cars at speed is what they were created for and is the essence of ownership.

Jim

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/learn/ford/

Larry Miller out of UTAH.

use the mustang. but not specifically the GT500.

However, I highly recommend Bob Bondurant.

Bondurant, hands down.

thanks guys

looks like Bondurant uses vette for high performance street car instruction

are the skills learned in the vette easily "translated" into use for the S197?

Ron

Hey Ron:

To start, I would just find a local performace driving school close to home. For the basic performance driving skills I expect most any of these schools are more than adequate. In the end there is no substiute for seat time, so look around you area for track or hot lap days and attend. It may be a Corvette club or Porsche sponsored event, but they usually will welcome most anyone to attend.

Also, remember you need to make sure your car is properly prepared. For an SS that means high octane fuel and maybe track tires to start. If you learn to take your car closer to its capability, then maybe a roll cage, seats and 5-point harness. Then move on the suspension and engnine mods (cooling system especially) if you feel the need for more. Your car has a lot of potential on the track., they are a little heavy in the front but more than make up for it with the acceleration. You will be suprised at how fast you will gain confidence in the car which translates to faster lap times.

Enjoy.

thanks guys

looks like Bondurant uses vette for high performance street car instruction

are the skills learned in the vette easily "translated" into use for the S197?

Ron

BoneDoc,

Glad you're finally taking my advice (after 18 months....) :finger: You'll have a LOT more fun with this, I promise!

If there is a "local" road course near Denver, go ahead and take your car for one of their beginner driving schools. Get a couple or 5 weekends of experience there with an instructor in the passenger seat. Then call the guys at Miller Motorsports for a 2 or 3 day driving school. You can take your car or use one of their FR500S cars. The vettes behave a bit differently than our cars, especially at their limits. Until you're more comfortable on the track, I'ld stick with S197 based platforms.

For car prep, be sure to have fresh brake pads, flush the brake fluid and put in Motul or Wilwood high temp fluid. The Super Snake that I've ridden in on a road course had a serious problem with throttle tip-in. It felt like it was either WOT or idle, nothing in between. That is NOT good on a road course. It is impossible to be smooth when you can't modulate the throttle with "OE-like" subtlety. And being smooth is the key to being fast. If you have noticed this in your car, get it fixed first! An L&M TB and new tune would most likely be the ticket for that issue.

Give me a call if you still have my cell # and ask more questions. Also, the Mid-America guys should be having another driving school at Hallett again this summer. It would be good to see you and your wife again.

BoneDoc,

Glad you're finally taking my advice (after 18 months....) :finger: You'll have a LOT more fun with this, I promise!

If there is a "local" road course near Denver, go ahead and take your car for one of their beginner driving schools. Get a couple or 5 weekends of experience there with an instructor in the passenger seat. Then call the guys at Miller Motorsports for a 2 or 3 day driving school. You can take your car or use one of their FR500S cars. The vettes behave a bit differently than our cars, especially at their limits. Until you're more comfortable on the track, I'ld stick with S197 based platforms.

For car prep, be sure to have fresh brake pads, flush the brake fluid and put in Motul or Wilwood high temp fluid. The Super Snake that I've ridden in on a road course had a serious problem with throttle tip-in. It felt like it was either WOT or idle, nothing in between. That is NOT good on a road course. It is impossible to be smooth when you can't modulate the throttle with "OE-like" subtlety. And being smooth is the key to being fast. If you have noticed this in your car, get it fixed first! An L&M TB and new tune would most likely be the ticket for that issue.

Give me a call if you still have my cell # and ask more questions. Also, the Mid-America guys should be having another driving school at Hallett again this summer. It would be good to see you and your wife again.

Jeff thanks for the advice. I am a bit slow.... but i am taking your advice!

agree that the smooth application of power in the SS is difficult. I spoke with my tuner Jon Lund about this and even sent him some data-logging. He feels that this may be a result of the brass idler gear in our TB's. I'm not sure how much want to change the original SS package so i will see how much trouble it gives me over time before changing.

do you have any jobs in the Denver area coming up? If so lets catch up.

Ron

Archived