TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just ordered..Chrome Shelby Razor wheels 18"

BillyRay

I just ordered my wheels today and I hope they got it right. My buddy at Disc tire quoted me a price of $225 per wheel.

My Q. is does anyone have these rims on their Shelby now?

Thanks for the imput BillyRay

ordered wheels 1-5-07 was told would arrive 1-12-07

I WILL POSTING THE UPDATED PICS SOON.

Today SAT. 1-13-07 My buddy at Disc.Tire tried to install the 18" Razors, we wanted to make sure the fronts would work. DAMN just like it was said in a earlier post that the calibers would not clear!

Yes its true the Razor would NOT clear the front calibers. So he got on the phone with American Racing and ordered another set of rims with a bigger offset. If this doesnt work the only answer is going with the 20" and I,am not going to spend that kind of money.

MORE UPDATES WHEN OTHER RIMS COME IN.

I just ordered my wheels today and I hope they got it right. My buddy at Disc tire quoted me a price of $225 per wheel.

My Q. is does anyone have these rims on their Shelby now?

Thanks for the imput BillyRay

I had the 20" on my 2006 Mustang GT...they looked great!! Question though, are you going for the 18" because you want to be able to use the factory tires? We put some 18" on a vehicle here at the dealership when they first came out and I would have to say the 20" look quite a bit better than 18's in my opinion, especially on the new bodystyle. Ive got pics if you want with the 20's. I see you edited your post about getting the chrome 18's. Ive seen the orange with the silver painted 20's and the chrome 20's. Silver painted looks better with white stripes.

please explain? The insulation is there for a reason.

I think they took it off for clearance reasons initially when they developed the KB kit. Ill find out for sure from Ken and let you know. If you look at your hood blanket it closely fits over several of the pieces on the intake/throttle body etc. I think since the KB kit uses different hardware, the hood blanket didnt fit properly over those pieces.

I thought youd like those......20" silver painted. Im putting them on mine as well I think, unless I get stupid and put on the Fiske's off of the FR500C at 1000.00 a pop!

:headscratch: I thought you were going to leave the stock ones on.

please explain? The insulation is there for a reason.

To my knowledge, the insulation is usually there to keep the noise levels down and and it looks purtyier. Its probably not a necessity. That said, I wouldnt remove it unless I had too. It may offer the hood a bit of heat protection, might be a fire retardant too. Without the insulation, hood paint may eventually blister but the hood is aluminum it probably has good heat disapation. Aluminum is tough to get paint to adhere to well though, so it might be an issue. I know some are seeing paint problems on the underside already.

KC666

Ive read that as well. Here's pics of the 20's.

BTW, this GO with the 20" razors is utterly BITCHIN! Might have to get me a set of those once I have some money to spend again. Is that your car cgoeschel?

KC666

those 20" wheels look great!

Questions for anybody that knows:

will going from 18" wheels from 20" wheels effect the accuracy of your spedometer? if so, how do you correct for that?

what is the weight difference between the stock rims and the 20" razors?

thanks

ron

Hey Ron - most people decrease the aspect ration of the tire when they increase the rim diameter, so you end up with a tire/rim the same overall diameter. (notice that the amount of tire between the rim and the road decreases with larger rims) That's what I did. And the speedo has nothing to do with the tires - it's in the tranny/gear combo. Vis a Vie - the recalibrator - or if you install a "tune," you adjust for it then.

Ruf -

???

What size rubber did you have f & r, and how much was this car lowered?? thanks

Eibach Pro Kit springs

Nitto 555 255/35/20 Front

Nitto 555 275/35/20 Rear

The reason I did it this way was to fill the rear fender gap just a little bit more to match the front. The 255/35/20 fronts are 27" tall, the 275/35/20 rears are 27.1" and believe it or not, it makes a difference in the way it looks. Better in my opinion.

Eibach Pro Kit springs

Nitto 555 275/35/20 Rear

The reason I did it this way was to fill the rear fender gap just a little bit more to match the front. The 255/35/20 fronts are 27" tall, the 275/35/20 rears are 27.1" and believe it or not, it makes a difference in the way it looks. Better in my opinion.

I agree. So overall tire height almost equal as ours are 27.0 even calculated out. Few other questions if you don't mind. Prokit for our cars coming out soon.......1.3 and 1.4 drop, you doing your Shelby?? How was the ride with them on your black car?, any issues?, did you get an alignment? Any worries with a passenger in the rear?? thanks

Eibach Pro Kit springs

Nitto 555 275/35/20 Rear

Just took a second look at your photos, was it indeed the ProKit and not the Sport (2 inch drop) ?? Asking because someone here asking about gap between tires and body and he replied 3 & 4 inches, and your black car looks like maybe 1" or less in the rear after the drop.

Rims and Tires Size Comparer

Here's a really cool link for a tire size comparer. It allows you to enter your stock wheel size and offset then compare it to the wheels you want to get. Key thing is to make sure the aftermarket wheel is as close to the stock diameter as possible in order to avoid any issues. Also the Shelby has the tire pressure monitoring system so this will have to be trans over to your new wheels.

I agree. So overall tire height almost equal as ours are 27.0 even calculated out. Few other questions if you don't mind. Prokit for our cars coming out soon.......1.3 and 1.4 drop, you doing your Shelby?? How was the ride with them on your black car?, any issues?, did you get an alignment? Any worries with a passenger in the rear?? thanks

Just took a second look at your photos, was it indeed the ProKit and not the Sport (2 inch drop) ?? Asking because someone here asking about gap between tires and body and he replied 3 & 4 inches, and your black car looks like maybe 1" or less in the rear after the drop.

It was the Pro Kit for certain. A friend of mine has the sportlines and they're even lower. Im doing the full Eibach Coil Over kit to lower mine. Lets you adjust ride height to your taste. The ride on the black car was good, a little stiffer, but not jarring at all. I did have it aligned just to be sure everything was straight because mis-alignment can chew up a new tire very quick! As far as passengers in the rear seat, Ive had 6 mustangs in the last 3 years and Ive never had anyone sit in the back seat. As far as Im concerned Ford should have made this a 2 seater a long time ago!! Remember my post above regarding the difference in rear tire diameter. Its only 1/10th larger, but I went that way to fill the fender gap a little more.

It was the Pro Kit for certain. A friend of mine has the sportlines and they're even lower. Im doing the full Eibach Coil Over kit to lower mine. Lets you adjust ride height to your taste. The ride on the black car was good, a little stiffer, but not jarring at all. I did have it aligned just to be sure everything was straight because mis-alignment can chew up a new tire very quick! As far as passengers in the rear seat, Ive had 6 mustangs in the last 3 years and Ive never had anyone sit in the back seat. As far as Im concerned Ford should have made this a 2 seater a long time ago!! Remember my post above regarding the difference in rear tire diameter. Its only 1/10th larger, but I went that way to fill the fender gap a little more.

The GT looks great. I love the rims and eventually will get them for my black vert. I am stuck on the chrome and gun metal. I like them both after seeing them. I had been leaning to the gun metal color before seeing the chrome.

Is that lowering set up for the Shelby out already? I'd be interested in that as I too want to fill up tha space a little but not sacrifice too much ot that sweet ride.

The Eibach kit is pricey IMO. I had a kit on order from RPM Outlet for my GT. Price they had is the lowest I've seen, $999.99 for the complete kit. It was taking forever for them to ship the kit to me so I canceled it. Most other places have it for $1,100 - $1,300. I'm still shopping around for a good price on it so if you come accross any please let me know and I will do likewise.

Edit: Just checked Eibach's site, they don't show the coilovers are available for the GT500, only the standard Mustang GT. Here's the link: Eibach Shelby GT500 Suspension Kits

Eibach Pro Kit springs

Nitto 555 275/35/20 Rear

In my calculation 275/35/20 are 27.6". For an equal size you have to go 295/30/20. And I think then you will need a 10 inch rim and don't know if there are clearance problems.

In my calculation 275/35/20 are 27.6". For an equal size you have to go 295/30/20. And I think then you will need a 10 inch rim and don't know if there are clearance problems.

You are correct on the 27.6..my bad. I think, like I said, thats why they fit the fenderwell so much better than the stock 27" tall tire. To be 100%, the front is actually 27.05" tall on the 255/35/20.

Has the ride height been altered, or do the larger 20's simply fill the wheel well like that - suspension unaltered?

hsurb

The ride height on that car has been lowered.

The Eibach kit is pricey IMO. I had a kit on order from RPM Outlet for my GT. Price they had is the lowest I've seen, $999.99 for the complete kit. It was taking forever for them to ship the kit to me so I canceled it. Most other places have it for $1,100 - $1,300. I'm still shopping around for a good price on it so if you come accross any please let me know and I will do likewise.

Edit: Just checked Eibach's site, they don't show the coilovers are available for the GT500, only the standard Mustang GT. Here's the link: Eibach Shelby GT500 Suspension Kits

The coil overs arent readily available yet, but I do have a contact at Eibach thats getting some for me out of Germany.

I believe that American Racing has been working on a "New" Razor in a staggered fitment with a 10" wide rear rather than the 9". The backspacing has to be changed to keep the rim from sticking out of the fenders.

The coil overs arent readily available yet, but I do have a contact at Eibach thats getting some for me out of Germany.

I believe that American Racing has been working on a "New" Razor in a staggered fitment with a 10" wide rear rather than the 9". The backspacing has to be changed to keep the rim from sticking out of the fenders.

Let me know what the partnumbers in Germany are. I am close to Germany to get them myself. On my 97 Cobra I have a H&R Supersport kit and it was not possible to order it in Germany as they did not have them for my car sold separately. They make them in big lots. Thousands at the time and ship to USA as it concerns US cars.

Are you going for the 10 inch rears? American Racing uses the same centercap and Shelby script on wheels as SA?

Let me know what the partnumbers in Germany are. I am close to Germany to get them myself. On my 97 Cobra I have a H&R Supersport kit and it was not possible to order it in Germany as they did not have them for my car sold separately. They make them in big lots. Thousands at the time and ship to USA as it concerns US cars.

Are you going for the 10 inch rears? American Racing uses the same centercap and Shelby script on wheels as SA?

Im going to wait for the 10" rears, and yes, American Racing sells the "Shelby" Razor wheel and they do come with the Shelby centercap.

As far as the coil overs, Im getting them from a contact inside of Eibach, so I wont have the part number until I get the kit, then Ill post it. I know they are GT500 specific.

Archived