TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3 Mistakes on a lovely Saturday AM

goldgus

My three mistakes Saturday Morning:

1. Not resisting the urge to take the Shelby out when it was, like, 20 degrees outside. I couldn't help it, the car looked so nice and clean, the roads were finally dry, it was calling to me...:shift:

2. Forgetting that I had put an extra 6-7 lbs of air in each tire to help keep tires from flat-spotting.:banghead:

3. Putting the car into "sport" mode before my ride, force of habit. (hey at least I didnt turn the traction control TOTALLY off.):doh:

So, it was still fun, and nobody got hurt. OK, so i got sideways in 3rd gear about 2 (or 10) times... But the grin was still ear to ear for a 1/2 hour or so.:peelout:

Moral of the story: That little sticker that warns you about driving on the shitty F1 tires at temps below 40 degrees, its there for a good reason...

I dont think there are any tires that can stick this car to a road when its 20 degrees out, especially with 40 lbs of air in them...

And to all you lucky folks who live in the warmer states, hope youre having fun driving your cars.

Goldgus

1. Not resisting the urge to take the Shelby out when it was, like, 20 degrees outside. I couldn't help it, the car looked so nice and clean, the roads were finally dry, it was calling to me...:shift:

2. Forgetting that I had put an extra 6-7 lbs of air in each tire to help keep tires from flat-spotting.:banghead:

3. Putting the car into "sport" mode before my ride, force of habit. (hey at least I didnt turn the traction control TOTALLY off.):doh:

So, it was still fun, and nobody got hurt. OK, so i got sideways in 3rd gear about 2 (or 10) times... But the grin was still ear to ear for a 1/2 hour or so.:peelout:

Moral of the story: That little sticker that warns you about driving on the shitty F1 tires at temps below 40 degrees, its there for a good reason...

I dont think there are any tires that can stick this car to a road when its 20 degrees out, especially with 40 lbs of air in them...

And to all you lucky folks who live in the warmer states, hope youre having fun driving your cars.

Goldgus

Lol, had no choice today! Needed to get to work, work car was with in-laws. Pulled out of garage and it was 17*F here in Atlanta GA. Just drove easy and had zero problems. Did get really nervous when I came upon a 100% ice covered road about 150 ft long. But just took it slow and all was well. Drive home tomorrow morning will be fun after cold soak sitting out in 18* night air. Dam Ford for no heated seat option!!!

Lol, had no choice today! Needed to get to work, work car was with in-laws. Pulled out of garage and it was 17*F here in Atlanta GA. Just drove easy and had zero problems. Did get really nervous when I came upon a 100% ice covered road about 150 ft long. But just took it slow and all was well. Drive home tomorrow morning will be fun after cold soak sitting out in 18* night air. Dam Ford for no heated seat option!!!

I'm hoping the 2011 has the option, so I can order the parts and new bezel (for placement of the seat heater switches). I really need these for NJ weather!!!

LOL, this car has an extra 50 horses "EASY" when its so cold outside. Ha, just what we need, more pones that you cant get stuck to the road!

I couldnt resist either today. It is fun breaking the tires loose (on purpose) at 50mph. :shift:

I agree - I have had no troubles driving the car to this point in the winter. As far as the sub-40 degree weather..you just have to use your head...really not that difficult. It was -5 degrees this morning when I went out.

Just keep the traction control on..and don't drive the car like it's 75 degrees out. The tires behave normally if you keep the car under control meaning the RPMS down this side of 2,500 or so. Only thing I avoid is snow covered roads.

Goldgus

Should have hooked up with us on Saturday morning, we had about 10 Mustangs on a cruise to a friends house in Flemington, NJ. Of course we took the long-way :shift:

I got rid of the F-1 Goodyear's and put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, 275/45/18 on all four corners of my 2007 GT500. Took it out for a ride a week ago with the temp at 15 degrees. Driving normally it stuck like glue, even cornering.

Just ordered a set for my 2010 GT500 and will have them on Weds this week

will advise on how they work

Just ordered a set for my 2010 GT500 and will have them on Weds this week

will advise on how they work

It was in the 40s here yesterday, so I got mine out and went for a fun ride, its going to be in the 50s for the next few weeks.

Do they make these in a 19"?

If so where did you get them.

Todd brought his car and his lovely wife,and 2 very cute kids to meet me at a car show where it hit 17 a week ago.Ihad actually let air out of my tires,and still swrved thru 3rd--very tricky.Todds car looks great, i love the black/blue look.

I read recently that aluminum wheels ay extreme cold tend to come apart at the wheel nuts.Have any of you guys seen that same info--Im going to pursue it with some metallurgy guys i know and see what gives.Maybe thats why they dont want us driving underv 40

You might want to give these a look. Gives you 95% of the performance of the PS2 at half the price.

Hankook V12

Yup, I bought Michelin PS2's on my 911 and they are fantastic but I regret paying $2000 for the full set after I heard about the Hancooks. The 997 comes stock with the PS2's but people over at Rennlist porsche forums are claiming the Hancooks are just as good and the ratings are right up there with the Michelins for half the price.

• 4 weeks later...

Please do, I know they're a bit pricey, but I hear they are worth the bucks.

I haven't had them on my Shelby, but they've been great on my other cars.

Archived