TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whould You Trade-In Your SGT for a Coyote GT350?

jaydub Mach1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to be a downer, but do others feel like I do that the new GT350 will be a disappointment

to most based on price (too high), power (not enough of an increase to the base Coyote 5.0),

and availability (low production)? Don't get me wrong: I think it will be a nice car, worthy of its

name, and I'll be happy for those who can afford it. But I have deja-vu feeling that the

criticisms leveled about the SGT will also be laid on the GT350 (specifically price and power).

This thread triggered those questions because back in Aug. I had a similar choice to

make: buy an affordable SGT now or wait for a Coyote version down the road (the hints

were strong enough back then). Ultimately the historical parallels between the 1966 GT-350

and the SGT were too strong to resist, and still are. The focus on handling, not raw power

was similar, and even the adding of a supercharger (just like in 1966) for those who

wanted both.

Now, SAI may make me eat these words if they follow the 1965 model of the GT-350: lighter,

quicker (than a 2011 GT-500 on a road course), and more hard core.

-Tom

I didn't know how to express my thoughts on the new GT350 but I think Tom has really nailed it on the head. I may be wrong but back in the 60's the GT350 came first, then the GT500 then the GT500SS then the GT500KR. It seams that the space time continuum is a little mixed up.

Or maybe that is just me.

QSS

Not sure I would get rid of my SGT until I see the actual product.

On another note those of you wanting to "add one to the stable". Are any of you hiring? I'm educated, hard working and I would love to have the funds to "add one to my stable". Right now I am just glad to be able to hold on to the one I have and its stable.

not me, I could get a roush stage 3, one of 103 made by roush nascar with 540hp out of a 4.6L. it may be along time before something this nice is done by again. price just goes up , but not the bling.

UGH! Shelby site, not Roush! :)

I have one of 200 SGT-CA's... A lot less with the SAI SC. I must be around 565+.

I would never trade my SGT, unless maybe a 289 Cobra. No way for a 2010.

I already feel like my car is "sort of a SS"!

When I get done, it will be! I'll be around $60k with rediculous power/handling.

My $.02

On another note those of you wanting to "add one to the stable". Are any of you hiring? I'm educated, hard working and I would love to have the funds to "add one to my stable". Right now I am just glad to be able to hold on to the one I have and its stable.

There is another bump in the road...my stable. :banghead:

Its already cluttered. How many cars fit in a 2 1/2 car garage? :headscratch:

I hate when I am told to think of things like that. :fool:

There is another bump in the road...my stable. :banghead:

Its already cluttered. How many cars fit in a 2 1/2 car garage? :headscratch:

I hate when I am told to think of things like that. :fool:

I'm pouring concrete next to my garage next week, under a canopy, so the 'less important' rides can squeeze outside in the cold. Problem solved. ;)

I won't trade mine. The Shelby GT will always be more special because of the fact that it, along w/ the KR, were the last of the pre-title cars to be prepped by SAI at SAI in Las Vegas. I know, its like a broken record, but....

Also, I imagine that the GT350 adm's will be quite high.

Also, I also suspect that there will be more GT350's on the road than Shelby GT's at some point.

Finally, the Shelby GT body style is just plain better looking than the new style (IMHO).

Sounds VERY temptinng!!!!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/shelby-gt350.html

The new Mustang body style doesn't appeal to me. While most of the car is nice, I just can't get past the look of the rear and the talilights. If the 2005-2009 models looked like the new one I would have passed on the Mustang and gone with a 350Z, which was number two on the list for me back in 2007. When I saw the 2007 SGT in the show room one day, I was just floored by its looks and had to have it. Nope, I'm keeping my 2007 SGT. It's gonna to be a real classic. On the other hand, if I win the lottery, I'll probably buy a GT350, along with many other cars.

Well, the good news is you dont have to worry about an ADM....I doubt dealers can get an ADM on a "regular" although specific mustang GT. If the body was going to look like a typical 2010+ rear end, that would have me passing on it as well. (But the rumor mill says it wont per a post by Amy in one of the threads in that section- I suppose she could be misdirecting, but my spidey sense tells me otherwise.) :lurk:

The new Mustang body style doesn't appeal to me. While most of the car is nice, I just can't get past the look of the rear and the talilights. If the 2005-2009 models looked like the new one I would have passed on the Mustang and gone with a 350Z, which was number two on the list for me back in 2007. When I saw the 2007 SGT in the show room one day, I was just floored by its looks and had to have it. Nope, I'm keeping my 2007 SGT. It's gonna to be a real classic. On the other hand, if I win the lottery, I'll probably buy a GT350, along with many other cars.

If I win the lotto, I am buying one of each car. GT350, GT500, KR, SS, and the Terlingua :drool:

Well, it didn't take long to bash the GT350, if any of you haven't read this yet (beginning at post #65). Although I had suspected such a reaction by some, I

figured folk would wait until AFTER its release. Ken's response in that thread sums up some of the thoughts we've discussed here. I can certainly

see some replacing their SGT (or adding to their stables) with the GT350 if it were a near track ready car (akin to the Terlingua but with a V8). That's

the only way to justify a 50K price tag (my guess) that competes with a stock GT500.

-Tom

I posted this on the 350 forum and stand by it;the S-GT is a good package;drop a 5.0 coyote out of a crashed GT next summer and go smack some unsuspecting folks around.

And my bet is the 350 will cost you north of 55K.

Doc Scott

Makes my 500 look like a cheapie

Well, it didn't take long to bash the GT350, if any of you haven't read this yet (beginning at post #65). Although I had suspected such a reaction by some, I figured folk would wait until AFTER its release.

Isn't that just comedy? People trashing on a car that hasn't even been released yet and that no one has seen outside of Vegas? :lol:

As for the Coyote, I'm sure it's going to be awesome and I can't wait for the GT-350's release, but these SGT's can do quite well without them. Blower - check. Tires - check. Coilovers - check. Devour every GT500 in sight -check. ;)

Ken

I posted this on the 350 forum and stand by it;the S-GT is a good package;drop a 5.0 coyote out of a crashed GT next summer and go smack some unsuspecting folks around.

And my bet is the 350 will cost you north of 55K.

Doc Scott

Makes my 500 look like a cheapie

My guess of 50K was taking the SR price of 31K, subtracting the supercharger cost, leaving about

20K to make a street racer GT350 out of the 2011 Mustang GT. So a low optioned GT at 30K plus 20K,

would be in the low 50s. Now you can option out the Mustang to run the cost north of 55K, but that

would defeat the purpose of a marketable GT350 IMHO. Imagine AC/radio delete options... if the original

GT350 didn't need them 45 years ago, why do we need them now? (I know, I know, we've all gone

soft.)

-Tom

One thing I've always thought was missing from the SGT and the GT500 was the cougar style taillights. I think the concept 2005 Mustang had them.

I wonder if the GT350 will have them and if they could fit on our cars. :drool:

They updated the story...

Update: Shelby to announce GT350 revival next week?

01/15/2010, 2:04 PMBy Andrew Ganz

Confirming Leftlane’s earlier report, Shelby Automotive says it will be making a major announcement next week via live video feed from the annual Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. It’s expected that Shelby will confirm plans to build a production model, which could revive the historic GT350 nameplate, based on Ford’s new 5.0-liter Coyote powertrain.

The announcement will be made live at an invitation-only gala at 10 pm EST in Arizona, although Shelby says it will broadcast the event live on TeamShelby.com. The gala will open the Barrett-Jackson auction, as well as celebrate the original GT350’s 45th anniversary.

A white 2010 Mustang with Ford’s new 5.0-liter V8 is reportedly being used as a developmental mule at Shelby’s Las Vegas design studios. Given that Shelby has already stated it does not intend to produce any 2010 or 2011 Shelby GTs, the company’s production facilities should have plenty of room for a new, higher volume model.

The 5.0-liter V8 car would likely slot in below Shelby’s high-performance Super Snake, which can be ordered with up to 725 horsepower. It’s unlikely that a revived GT350 would produce even as much power as the entry-level 630-horsepower Super Snake, but it will undoubtedly be a healthy upgrade over the standard 412-horsepower 5.0. The Super Snake is expected to stay in production as Shelby’s halo car.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/shelby-gt350.html

you Know you guys are funny. Why is it always either or, or which is better> Why can't it just be a new Shelby and be excited to see it.

I have a shelby Gt, I wouldn't trade it in for the new GT350, The GT is the first pretitle car from Shelby in 40+ years..... its a special car and of all my cars, almost always my favorite to drive.

The new Gt350 is a great car as well, it has a lot of preasure to live up to the first one, forget about the SGT, the KR, the SS etc.......lol

It's a new car, love it, hate it, judge it. But don't compare it to a car that rebuilt Shelby and will always be the first new car with Shelby and Ford. the SGT deserves better.

By the way, The new Gt350............is special because of it's heritage, and that also counts, isn't it nice all the Shelby's are special and celebrate a great heritage in time....just my .02 cents, but I love this brand and these cars

Amy

you Know you guys are funny. Why is it always either or, or which is better> Why can't it just be a new Shelby and be excited to see it.

I have a shelby Gt, I wouldn't trade it in for the new GT350, The GT is the first pretitle car from Shelby in 40+ years..... its a special car and of all my cars, almost always my favorite to drive.

The new Gt350 is a great car as well, it has a lot of preasure to live up to the first one, forget about the SGT, the KR, the SS etc.......lol

It's a new car, love it, hate it, judge it. But don't compare it to a car that rebuilt Shelby and will always be the first new car with Shelby and Ford. the SGT deserves better.

By the way, The new Gt350............is special because of it's heritage, and that also counts, isn't it nice all the Shelby's are special and celebrate a great heritage in time....just my .02 cents, but I love this brand and these cars

Amy

Just one photo? We won't tell anyone. :lurk:

Another "No" as far as trading in my SGT. Add a stablemate - maybe, but I'd be hard pressed to willingly give up my SGT.

+1

Back in the fall of 1973 just out of the service my Dad and I looked for a GT350 but without any success.

Today, I would have to say that my SGT is the perfect car for me.

Amy

Amy,

That's it in a nut shell. They are V E R Y special... I love my Shelby!

Jim

Amy, thanks for trying to knock some sense and lessen the negativity on this thread. But that must feel like an exercise in futility. The old saying "opinions are like a**holes..." is proven every day in these SGT forums. The views expressed vary as much as the mods done to their SGTs, which again proves your point about how great a car it is. Bone stock garage queen, autocross champ, delightful daily driver, supercharged slayer, etc.; it's the swiss army knife of Shelbys.

Looking forward to the video feed on the 18th.

-Tom

Well of course most of the posts of this thread seem negative given the original question. Essentially you could rewrite it as, "Would you give up your SGT now that there's going to be a better Shelby Mustang?" If the question were, "If you could afford it, would you purchase a GT350 to park next to your SGT?" I would suggest that most of the posts (if not all) would be positive. Personally, I wasn't trying to be negative - I was just answering the original question of the thread. I'm very excited to see the announcement Monday night and I probably won't get any sleep that afterwards as I try to decide whether or not that's the next Mustang to add to my garage.

Well of course most of the posts of this thread seem negative given the original question. Essentially you could rewrite it as, "Would you give up your SGT now that there's going to be a better Shelby Mustang?"

The original intent of my question that started the thread wasn't meant to be negative. I had just read the article and thought how tempting it would be to trade in my SGT for the Coyote based GT350. I wouldn't be able to keep both. My SGT is my daily driver.

I was wondering how many SGT owners had the same first thoughts.

So, I posted the question.

From there, it was out of my hands. :hysterical:

As far as "..a better Shelby Mustang". I would have to disagree that one's "better" than another. It may be faster or newer, but as Amy pointed out, the SGT was the first pre-title of these current generation cars, so maybe it's better?

It's all good. When Shelby American is doing well, we ALL do well!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

Once Monday the 18th comes and goes, people will see that BOTH cars will complement the entire SA line up, and that the GT350 will not conflict with the SGT at all. The SGT and the GT350 will be two seperate and distinct cars from each other, and both GREAT in their own right. Amy and the SA staff have worked very, very, hard on the 350, and that car will make a statement all it's own without stepping on the SGT's toes at all.

I suspect that most will ADD the car to their collection as opposed to buying it as a replacement to something that they already have, and other than being driven by the the bad economy, I don't see a rush/glut of SGT owners putting their cars on the market after the 350 is released.

Carroll's saying about "making history and then repeating it" applies perfectly to this car.

The only problem that I see with the GT350 is that most people will have to figure out how to create enough garage space in order to add it to their collection.

Just my personal opinion of course.

Just the mention of the name Shelby in the same sentence as Ford, Mustang and Cobra evokes an emotional response from enthusiasts all across the globe. As with most all owners we are very passionate and proud about what we do and what we build. Monday will be a very special emotional event.

Roger

Just the mention of the name Shelby in the same sentence as Ford, Mustang and Cobra evokes an emotional response from enthusiasts all across the globe. As with most all owners we are very passionate and proud about what we do and what we build. Monday will be a very special emotional event.

Roger

Hey Roger;

New Avatar... nice wheel, my guess it is from the soon to be announced Shelby?

Getting excited :happy feet:

Roger

Well said Roger, I can not wait until Monday

Now I just need to move south so I can own both. I will never get rid of my Shelby GT

Archived