TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone remember the Avanti?

gradona

I really wanted one of these cars when I was a lad. I googled the name and lo and behold, they were still being made in Mexico in 2006. About 150 a year, supposidly. When you look at the interior you can't help but wonder what chassis they were using :headscratch: .

http://avantimotors.com/

Of course their website hasn't been updated since 2006 so they probably quickly went out of business :glare: .

Studebaker built a 289 V8 for several years. I drove a Studebaker Hawk with a 289 & 4 speed once, had more power than my 65 Mustang 289! The Avanti was the finest, in my opinion, of all Raymond Lowey's designs. The "other" fiberglass American car.......

Thanks for reminding me!

I really wanted one of these cars when I was a lad. I googled the name and lo and behold, they were still being made in Mexico in 2006. About 150 a year, supposidly. When you look at the interior you can't help but wonder what chassis they were using :headscratch: .

http://avantimotors.com/

Of course their website hasn't been updated since 2006 so they probably quickly went out of business :glare: .

There is/was also a mfg plant in the Atlanta area. I don't recall what year it was, ('06?) but the T-Bird group toured the plant; it was pretty impressive. I don't recall any of the particulars but they were pretty impressive.

I remembered reading somewhere that when the second or third set of owners took over, the inventories were so screwed that they had like a dumpster full of right hand door handles and no left hand ones. Too bad they apparently no longer exist......

Remember them, Hell yes I do... They were originally built in my home town of S.B. IN. My father work on them as well as many Studebakers at the plant. Many of my friends still at home have some of the first ones ever built as well as a friend of mine who's uncle work at the plant, and bought a 63 Red Lark, it sits in his garage still with the original mileage os 24.6, as that was how far it took him to drive it from the plant to his house.

Always wanted one of those, as they where fabulous cars at that time I thought.. I love seeing the Advantis around from time to time at car shows.

Archived