TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Went to Pilot MT to see Andy and Barney

6.1hemi

Said good bye to Aunt Bea here in Siler City NC and drove out to Pilot Mt to see Andy and Barney. Don't know whether it was the supercharger whine or the back end sliding around the hairpins but we got Dizzy LOL. After I hit 400 miles on the clock I ran thru the gears flat out. All I can say for a stock vehicle this is a beast. I could become suicidal in this car, it is hard to let off the gas.

Can't wait for the SCT/EVO tu8ne to come. Baby steps.

post-26835-126290337482_thumb.jpg

post-26835-126290338455_thumb.jpg

post-26835-126290358604_thumb.jpg

post-26835-126290337482_thumb.jpg

post-26835-126290338455_thumb.jpg

post-26835-126290358604_thumb.jpg

Said good bye to Aunt Bea here in Siler City NC and drove out to Pilot Mt to see Andy and Barney. Don't know whether it was the supercharger whine or the back end sliding around the hairpins but we got Dizzy LOL. After I hit 400 miles on the clock I ran thru the gears flat out. All I can say for a stock vehicle this is a beast. I could become suicidal in this car, it is hard to let off the gas.

[/quote

Very nice car--whats with all the snow?and are you thinkiing of changing your name

[/quote

Very nice car--whats with all the snow?and are you thinkiing of changing your name

Nope no name change. Love my Challenger too. Different cars, but both cool. Challenger reminds me of a 1969 GTX.

Here is a good write up on the two cars.

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/versus/Motive_Versus_Dodge_Challenger_SRT8_versus_Ford_Shelby_GT500.shtml

if you ever get the chance to go back for Hot Nights and Hot Cars you will have a blast. They shut down the main drag and this is where all the show cars are parked w/ live music. All the stores along Main stay open late. We have been and we will be going back again. They usually have an MC at the one and only red lite who interviews you when you drive in. He likes to put the microphone at the tail pipes just before you drive off and park. Also, at 9PM they have a burnout contest back behind Main St. They set it up w/ the local police and Fire Department. The FD wets the box w/ a fire hose and has lights from the truck on the box. Spectators stand up on the hill and watch. Never had this much fun at a cruise in. Check it out.....

http://www.hotnightshotcars.com/

Craig

Not a newcomer to muscle cars. I Did all the work on My 1986 Grand National that I bought new in 1986. I owned the car for 23 years and did all the tuning, fuel, timing, Tires, exhaust,injectors, turbo, intercooler, converter, trans, and took her from a 13.9 stock GN to a low 11 second daily driver that scared the hell outta most of the test and tune competition on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Buick-Grand-National-Timeslip-5589.html (Check out the 60 foot time--MT DR's)

128,000 miles and I never had so much as the valve covers off the car. Sad to see her go but that was my down payment on my GT500.

ame='Torched10' date='07 January 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1262905098' post='883437']

Nope no name change. Love my Challenger too. Different cars, but both cool. Challenger reminds me of a 1969 GTX.

Here is a good write up on the two cars.

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/versus/Motive_Versus_Dodge_Challenger_SRT8_versus_Ford_Shelby_GT500.shtml

That article is a terrible comparison

The interior of the Challenger is the worst of the new retro muscle cars. The GT500 is best, and honestly I have never heard anyone say otherwise in the real world, just these magazine editors for some reason. The interior of the Challenger is idential to all the other Chrysler LX cars even the damn steering wheel. The only difference is you get nice seats. The GT500 gets a completely new look and is way more functional, not to mention the E brake is in the proper location, next to you and not on the floor, that is laughable.

Then you get to the motor, they claim the GT500 craps out at 5,000 rpms LOL that is probably because they were too chicken to rev past that. It is fact they make power right up to red line (6200) I will post my stock dyno sheet! They also make 400tq at 200 rpm unlike the 300 rpm starting point they menioned.

I actually had to stop reading at that point, I couldnt stop laughing.

Can't wait for the SCT/EVO tune to come.

You should have taken it over to Gomer's garage. He could have tuned her up for ya. I have a friend from up that way.... llama farmer. Go figure. :hysterical: It was a nice area when I went up for a visit though.

That article is a terrible comparison

The interior of the Challenger is the worst of the new retro muscle cars. The GT500 is best, and honestly I have never heard anyone say otherwise in the real world, just these magazine editors for some reason. The interior of the Challenger is idential to all the other Chrysler LX cars even the damn steering wheel. The only difference is you get nice seats. The GT500 gets a completely new look and is way more functional, not to mention the E brake is in the proper location, next to you and not on the floor, that is laughable.

Then you get to the motor, they claim the GT500 craps out at 5,000 rpms LOL that is probably because they were too chicken to rev past that. It is fact they make power right up to red line (6200) I will post my stock dyno sheet! They also make 400tq at 200 rpm unlike the 300 rpm starting point they menioned.

I actually had to stop reading at that point, I couldnt stop laughing.

Ice Down your inter cooler. That Article was from 2008. I own both of them and the rest of the article is pretty dead on. 2010 Shelby has a lot more power now and the interior is way better. I am still not sure about the rear end treatment. If I was going cross country I would be in my Hemi Orange Challenger, It rides much nicer, feels like a big cruiser, mine runs high 12's, don't have to shift, and I am really suprised but gets more looks and comments than my new Shelby. Drove 200 miles Today and was barley noticed. One guy who asked me directions at a gas staion said " Nice GT Stang".

For the rough and tumble, the drags and a 200 mile ride I'll take the GT500. Seats are actualy better in the 2010 GT500 than the SRT8. Also I really like driving the SRT8 with no blower cause when it kicks down it's all motor, may be slower but it feels like a nulcear aircraft Carrier, the GT500 feels like an F-16 fighter.

Been driving Muscle cars since 1961, Ford Galaxie starliner with a 406 405 HP tri power. I know cars and the SRT8 Challenger and the GT500 both are real nice rides.

You should have taken it over to Gomer's garage. He could have tuned her up for ya. I have a friend from up that way.... llama farmer. Go figure. :hysterical: It was a nice area when I went up for a visit though.

Funny you should mention that, Gomer had a 2010 GT500 on the Mustang DYNO tunning it, he was too busy to talk but Goober showed me his V8 big block Pinto. Folks really like cars up that way.

It's not all about speed. There is always someone faster, all it takes is money. I put about 13K in my 6 Cylinder Buick GN and had a daily driver that could double as a bracket racer with consistant 11.40's. Yet there were 15 year olds in Junior dragsters that would blow me away. The 2010 GT500 is a very sophisticated auto. It handles unreal, accelerates like a raped ape, and has such a solid feel to it you almost feel invinceable in you own little bubble. The Challenger is also sophisticated, modern muscle. Not as fast as the GT500 by any means. It also has that same solid feel. Both these cars are bloated fat boys by 1960 and 70 standards. This is due to all the government regulation for safety and all the sound deadining and fancy options.

I drove a 1969 Z-28 302 Camaro last week for 90 miles and I was ready to park it. Noisy, handling was horrible compared to the new generation Muscle. It just plain wore me out.

I am in my twilight years and remember all the past cool cars but this is the super nova days for muscle cars. OBam and his crew will make sure that gas is $10.00 a gallon and the Gas Guzzler tax will be so high that the big three will be winding down theses marvels of engineering. Getting a 4000lb+ car to handle and run in the 11's and 12's will be a long gone piece of Automotive History. Be Glad very Glad you have yours already. Get out there and drive it because the day is coming soon that you will need to deplete your 401K just to fill the tank.

Good nostaglia on muscle cars.I still own an original 65 GTO ragtop, and try and drive it once a week.Man,when i get out of that car,which gets alot of attention, and drive my GT500, or even my EXT, its like im in a whole new world.The GTO has this huge steering wheel,lousy radio,noisy, and doesnt want to turn or stop,even though it has PS<PBs,which it didnt when i got it.And on a good day,in stock trim it'd run high 13s.Now we have a great car thatlll run all the time,nice tunes,540hp and its under warrntee for 6 years.I agree we'll all look back and remember how good it was. BTW, I think the way the cars will be killed will be by out lawing high octane gas as emitting too much carbon--the EPA could do that tomorrow.So even at $10/gal, we wont be able to buy any gas.And it was 17 today in Atl, what global warming!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice color.

Archived