TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pro's / Con's for under drive pulleys

IMHO, they are worth the cost unless you plan on forced induction anytime soon. The most immediate BANG for the buck is a supercharger but that'll cost several grand.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of the UFC. Fedor is my favorite fighter even though he is not affiliated with the UFC.

Are they worth the Cost vs. HP gain on the 4.6 Shelby GT-H? Or are there better ways to spend the same money for a better gain?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/stunpusy2gt.html

Good choice but don't expect huge HP gains alone.. They are best if combined with other mods.

I've seen 304hp 299tq on Mustang Dyno when matched with C&L air intake system, Bassani catted x-pipe, and Brenspeed tune on 2006 Mustang GT Auto.

The best PRO is the UD pullies save your accesories if you spin high rpm's frequently, I've had them on 2 different Mustang application with 0 CON'S...

If you buy direct you could save a few bucks

http://www.steeda.com/products/s197_underdrive_pulley.php

=-=-=-=-=--

I've heard that most of the accessories are clutched to disengage at WOT... anybody know if that's true? seems as if the underdrive wouldn't matter really if its true....

edit: maybe that's just the a/c compressor I heard about??? anybody know?

Are they worth the Cost vs. HP gain on the 4.6 Shelby GT-H? Or are there better ways to spend the same money for a better gain?

http://www.americanm...tunpusy2gt.html

I ran them on my 02. only issue I had was in extreme heat over 95++ . the UD for my 02 did water pump crank and alternator. it was like the difference between running the air and not running the air.

IMHO, they are worth the cost unless you plan on forced induction anytime soon. The most immediate BANG for the buck is a supercharger but that'll cost several grand.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of the UFC. Fedor is my favorite fighter even though he is not affiliated with the UFC.

I hope one day to see Mir or Lesnar fight Fedor, only then will we know who the best is, not sold on any of them at this point, Lesnar got the size, Mir got the sand bag for a head, and Fedor has the smarts. Would be a great round robin with a few others thrown in, well worth the pay per view.

I've heard that most of the accessories are clutched to disengage at WOT... anybody know if that's true? seems as if the underdrive wouldn't matter really if its true....

edit: maybe that's just the a/c compressor I heard about??? anybody know?

Good Question ! :lurk:

Ive had numerous sets of Steeda pullies. They look great for years and work well. I had a 07 GT/CS that picked up 7hp and 4tq at the wheels. The one thing that I noticed was that the motor reved much quicker. The only thing that free wheels is the A/C compressor when you go WOT. For the money its a great mod plus it gets rid of the old rusty damnper from the factory. I would buy them again if I was going the naturally aspirated route.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/stunpusy2gt.html

I got those, and felt the difference - I had them installed and a dyno tune done by Dan Carlson at Realspeed when I lived in Long Island. The biggest difference in the car was a sense of "lightness" in the motor's rotating mass - that is, when I punched the gas at 2,000 RPM in fifth gear, I got a much nicer response. I was commuting on the Long Island Expressway every day back then, and the 4th gear to 5th gear, back-and-forth, was reduced significantly. Throttle response was crisper, too. Here's my dyno sheet below. Keep in mind, the Mustang Dynos are very conservative, usually showing lower numbers than a Dynojet, etc... which many people use. This is after the Steeda underdrive pulleys, Steeda inlet elbow (I just wanted it, I don't believe it added up to anything), and Dan's tune (credit where it's due, a personal tune on a dyno by a good tech like Dan is a big part of it - emailed "canned" tunes aren't customized for YOUR car, YOUR gas, YOUR environmental conditions, blah blah blah...) This is a nice, safe, responsible tune, with a nice flat air/fuel ratio across the band. Tuners can play cowboy and show bigger numbers, but you risk excessive wear, and/or damage...

The downside of underdrive pulleys? None, in my experience.

Jer

dyno.jpg

dyno.jpg

Archived