TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Billet Hood Strut Kit

Grabber

A new hood strut kit for the S197 Mustangs is out. It is not listed in there catolog yet. I am going to Install them in the morning on our 2007 GT/CS. I will get a photo for you all. Here is what they look like out of the box. The part Number is 555-0651 and the web site is www.steeda.com if you want to order some too.

Edit: I have added the Photos of the finished installation.

The photo on my directions does show the Steeda part of the shock facing torwards the hood, and the shock ram facing down to the fender lip. I wonder how many have put theres on backwards ?

You mean like this?

post-2905-1168012268_thumb.jpg

I know I followed the instructions with mine, and I looked in the Steeda catalog to be sure. Here is the picture: hood_strut.jpg.

FWIW, I don't think it really matters which way they go in. They are simply pushing in equal and opposite directions on two ball joints.

EDIT: Typo master here.

You mean like this?

I know I followed the instructions with mine, and I looked in the Steeda catalog to be sure. Here is the picture: hood_strut.jpg.

FWIW, I don't think it really matters which way they go in. They are simply pushing in equal and opposite directions on two ball joints.

EDIT: Typo master here.

The 1st photo is the backwards way of installation. The 2nd photo is what the photo shows in my installation instructions. I had a conversation with SCGT yeaterday and he said he was over at JLT and they advised him to turn his around because thay would last longer. Bill can tell you the pros and cons that they told him.

They look the same Grabber, just don't have the extra holes drilled in them. That means my car will be lighter than yours! :hysterical2:

The piece is alum. It is light. I wonder why they had all the extra holes in last years model ? Was it to make it .005 ounces lighter?

Orf,

I just talked to Frank Stoddard at Steeda. He confirmed with manufacturing that the Hood strut should be installed with the piston facing down torwards the fender and the body facing up torwards the hood. The new 2007 Steeda catolog on page 4 and 5 also shows it that way. The instructions for part # 555-050 and part number 555-0651 show it that way too.

I am going to install mine just how Steeda has told me too.

My brackets are stainless, not aluminum (I think?). Jay told me that he was told the cylinder facing down insures that the seal stays lubricated and with the fluid at that end it may help the hood from opening so hard or quick.

That makes sense. Gravity would keep the lubrication onto the backside of the seal.

Orf,

I just talked to Frank Stoddard at Steeda. He confirmed with manufacturing that the Hood strut should be installed with the piston facing down torwards the fender and the body facing up torwards the hood. The new 2007 Steeda catolog on page 4 and 5 also shows it that way. The instructions for part # 555-050 and part number 555-0651 show it that way too.

These are the ones I have on my car - I talked to them and ordered them before they were on the web site. I love them - I installed just as the directions indicate. I have the fat part on top (I think - I didn't actually look) but I know I did what the directions said to do and I like the looks. If I am supposed to change them i will - It's very simple to do but it works fine how I have it.

After further review....

The explanation makes sense for when the hood is up. The oil would certainly be in contact with the seal. After checking my car, when the hood is in the closed position, I conted the pistons are close to horizontal. Considering my hood is closed 99.875% of the time, it wouldn't matter which way they are installed. Further, no matter which way they are installed, the entire seal is not in contact with the oil in the horizontal position unless the piston is completely full of oil, which would negate the reason for pointing them in any particular direction anyway.

You don't have to tell me. I know I'm stubborn. My wife reminds me nearly daily.

However, in the spirit of harmony, I will consider the idea of flipping them.

I still don't think it matters. I'll add this to save others the trouble. :beatdeadhorse:

Orf,

We've established already I am thick. Can you tell me "piston facing down" & "body facing up" means the big part on top or bottom? I'm assuming the big part should be on the bottom and I need to flip mine as I went with the directions.

Thanks

We've established already I am thick. Can you tell me "piston facing down" & "body facing up" means the big part on top or bottom? I'm assuming the big part should be on the bottom and I need to flip mine as I went with the directions.

Thanks

Look at the "click to enlarge" picture I put in post #4. That is the "wrong" way. If it is really upside down, then at least it matches the signature on my dash. :headspin:

Edit: double posted.

Look at the "click to enlarge" picture I put in post #4. That is the "wrong" way. If it is really upside down, then at least it matches the signature on my dash. :headspin:

Edit: double posted.

cool - I'm OK then...I did something right....and the dead pedal seems to be holding too :)

Does your dead pedal finish match the other pedal finishes?

No - it's the one from steeda that doesn't match - it matches their pedals but I didn't change any others. I'm hoping one day a cover comes out for the dead pedal as it's just 4 screws and bolts holding the cover to the bracket.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_billet_dead_pedal.php

I also put in the Steeda shifter boot bezel and like it but it does not exactly match the curve of the console so you have to heat it a bit and bend for a really good tight fit. I got the plain so it looks more factory like.

http://www.steeda.com/products/manual_shifter_bezel.php

That bottom mount is cheesy, they must have redesigned everything but the cylinder.

You have WAY to much room in your garage.

The bottom mount is a ball joint bolted to the fender. It is engineered by Steeda. What does yours look like. You just messin with me boy. :headscratch:

A new hood strut kit for the S197 Mustangs is out. It is not listed in there catolog yet. I am going to Install them in the morning on our 2007 GT/CS. I will get a photo for you all. Here is what they look like out of the box. The part Number is 55-0651 and the web site is www.steeda.com if you want to order some too.

Edit: I have added the Photos of the finished installation.

Ok, this is one time when spelling MUST Be corrected....

part Number is 55-0651 :finger:

part Number is 555-0651 :idea:

I did a search on their website for the p/n you mentioned, and I got "none found". :hysterical:

Iceman had those hood struts on his car...I'm going to order some soon.

Dave

Ok, this is one time when spelling MUST Be corrected....

part Number is 55-0651 :finger:

part Number is 555-0651 :idea:

I did a search on their website for the p/n you mentioned, and I got "none found". :hysterical:

Iceman had those hood struts on his car...I'm going to order some soon.

Dave

Sorry David, Correction made.

Hope you did not spin for too long. :headspin:

:doh:

Question for those of you that have the hood strut kit. When I open the hood, I need to lift it to the half way point and then the struts do the rest of the work to open it. It opens about 2 inches farther than it used to and there is no jerking when it gets to the open position.

Is this how yours works. Do you have to help the hood to the half way point ?

Question for those of you that have the hood strut kit. When I open the hood, I need to lift it to the half way point and then the struts do the rest of the work to open it. It opens about 2 inches farther than it used to and there is no jerking when it gets to the open position.

Same here, but it makes sense. Until the hood is half way up, the pistons are pushing more toward the front of the car than they are pushing up. Once they get past 45 degrees, they don't need your help anymore.

I hold mine all the way up so they don't 'spring' the hood, I don't want the bolt holes in the aluminum hood wearing out.

The "spring" problem does not exist on the heavier GT hood on our California Special. It goes up slow and with control and eases to a stop.

Yes mine does the same thing, half way up. Did you have any problems with adjustment off hood? My bracket on drivers fender was a bit off and the hood did not fit flush, we adjusted bracket out a bit and hood closed better but i think my hood still needs to be adjusted as dealer auto shope Mgr said their was not any hood adjustment, any ideas?

Yes mine does the same thing, half way up. Did you have any problems with adjustment off hood? My bracket on drivers fender was a bit off and the hood did not fit flush, we adjusted bracket out a bit and hood closed better but i think my hood still needs to be adjusted as dealer auto shope Mgr said their was not any hood adjustment, any ideas?

I didn't have this problem with the new Steeda's shown in this thread but assuming that's what you have and there is an issue I would say the only way to adjust may be to loosen up the bolts for the brackets and see if you can move that a little bit (Assuming this problem is new after the install of the struts). If that is not an option as I know the front hole is just that and only the back section is something that could slide the way it was sent, you may have to drill out the front hole to get a little extra room to move the bracket to where it needs to be. If this is from Steeda I would call them and see about a replacement as mine went in really easy and fit perfectly with no adjustments or anything needed.

I didn't have this problem with the new Steeda's shown in this thread but assuming that's what you have and there is an issue I would say the only way to adjust may be to loosen up the bolts for the brackets and see if you can move that a little bit (Assuming this problem is new after the install of the struts). If that is not an option as I know the front hole is just that and only the back section is something that could slide the way it was sent, you may have to drill out the front hole to get a little extra room to move the bracket to where it needs to be. If this is from Steeda I would call them and see about a replacement as mine went in really easy and fit perfectly with no adjustments or anything needed.

Yes it is from Steeda i got the model with the holes drilled brackit, looks like they changed vendors or design. The hood appears to be slightly high between the fenders and hood maybe an 16th or so off, as i recall it was perfect when car was new.

Yes it is from Steeda i got the model with the holes drilled brackit, looks like they changed vendors or design. The hood appears to be slightly high between the fenders and hood maybe an 16th or so off, as i recall it was perfect when car was new.

Hmm - Can you tighten it in a little more to sink it farther? I have the new ones with no holes and they are perfect on my car. I wish i had more to say but call Steeda - they have really good customer service.

Dumb question. Did you put the bracket between the hood & hinge, or on top of the hood hinge? If you put it between, you effectively shimmed the hood up.

I wouldn't tighten it more, you could break something or ruin the threads.

Archived