TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Running w/fogs only

thewheelman

BTW, got my baby back today happy%20feet.gif ....pretty sure the hood, bumper cover and front fenders are finished at a higher quality than from the factory.....and a new splitter to boot!

But here's what I've run into a couple of times.....first time was this summer on the interstate near Ft. Campbell--a couple of Mustang GT's were obviously playing in traffic, then caught up to me and tried to get me to run with them. It's well past sunset and night-time dark and they're running on parking lights and fogs only. When I dropped a couple of gears to get in on the fun, that horrible squalling, screaming sound started coming from the passenger seat again, so I had to back off. But these guys were screaming! Then, just this last week, I'm in the rental (it was a Chevy Equinox--don't even ask) and a Mustang GT comes blowing by (about like I'd be doing if I were in the 500) again, well after dark, running parking lights and fogs only. Is that a common thing with the GT guys? I know the SGT's don't have fogs, but I didn't know the GT fogs were that powerful...

Another BTW, when I pulled in at the body shop to pick up my car, the only other GT 500 in town is sitting outside, frontal damage....looks like he caught the right front corner on something.....maybe another bumper. Strange, we're the only 2 in town and the only time I've been up close and personal is at the body shop.....

The high today here in the beautiful blue grass was about 23, it's 15 now.....she's parked until warmer weather arrives!

Well, not speaking for everyone, I can tell you that I have not seen anyone here (Los Angeles) driving with just their PL's and Fog's on. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I haven't see it. But because of the heavy traffic we have out here, most of the ricers and other road warriors do their racing/speeding very late at night or very early in the morning hours.

You would be suprised at how many overnight wrecks and fatalities get reported on by the A.M. traffic reports here. This freeway is closed, or that freeway is closed due to an overnight accident with fatalities, and quite a few of them happen because of "midnight racing". I remember years ago I was coming home from a friends house in the wee morning hours, and was passed by three ricers that had to be doing at least 120 M.P.H., zig-zagging in and out of whatever traffic there was at that hour. I caught up with one of them about 5 minutes later overturned and split in half after hitting a light pole. The C.H.P. was just pulling up as I passed the wreck.

Anyway, I am not aware of driver's doing that in my neck of the woods.

Maybe one of our LEO members can chime-in here, but in California anyway, running at night with fog and parking lights only is a violation of the DMV code.

In Maryland the MV code requires at least two white lights in the front and no more than four. Driving with the white fog lights only would not put you in violation, per se. These lighting requirement laws differ in each state so you'd best check with a local LEO to determine whats legal. Running with only fog lights at full darkness is inviting an insurance adjustment in the near future. People use them all the time in addition to their regular lights, which is not their purpose. They are FOG lights.

Having owned a GT I can say that the fog lights are pretty good for factory fog lights. They don't reach out far enough in my opinion to be driving at legal freeway speeds, let alone anything faster.

The only time I ever drove with just the fogs was in a snow storm. The HID headlights didn't burn hot enough to keep the snow off the lenses and they turned in to mood lights that only illuminated the falling snow directly in front of the car. The fog lights were hot enough to keep the lenses clear so I could at least see where I was going. I wasn't driving over 35mph and the fogs were good for that speed.

Having gotten stuck in some fog before, they do let you see ahead a bit (not super far) without the bounceback glare that the regular headlinghts do. They also light up the side of the road, right next to your car and ahead, really well.

Really helped keep me on the road without the shoulder rumble under my wheels telling me I was driving off the road first.

Now, normal driving, or racing with just fog light...not for me....NFW

The ricers watch too much "gone in 60 Seconds." Just cant stand the obnoxious mufflers (over sized fart can going.....wraaaaaaa) the huge 100HP wings, ridiculous paint schemes or primer crap, kiddy looking light bars and HUGE window decals...gimme a break. JUNK.

F'in idiots.....

so i guess it would be a good time to take my meds now......

Archived