TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paxton Okay for 2007 SGT

Thought I would pass this along. While I have been asking all kinds of questions on the KB and Whipple blowers due in part to the fact that Shelby cannot install the paxton on my 2007 sgt. I know Budman told me back last spring that the paxton was dead for the 2007 paxton as far as SAI installing and adding to the registry. Also I have noted this same thought via threads on this forum. (that is not to say I could have mis-understood as I do at times)

Quatum told me that they are installing the 1200 paxton in a 2007 SGT today. This installation will qualify for the shelby registry, sc strips and factory superchargered placard. This was good news to me as this is exactly what I wanted to install from the day I drove the car out of the show room.

Now I am rethinking (hate when I do this) which s/c to go with. I like the idea of a pacton installation and have them do it if it will go into the registry and I get all the other stuff such as stripe, placard etc.

Any of you paxton owners, could you share your horepower that you are getting our of the 1200 with inter-cooler. Of course I am still unclear on the paxton system as I have seen two types in the shelby catalogs. The first has the water to air intercooler and the second one has the air to air intercooler.

Anyway, what kind of power are you guys getting and do you know the total weight of the system that will be sitting on the front end of the car.

Thanks,

-Billy

With my 05 Mustang GT I am at 420 rwhp. Default with a manual is 268, atleast on mine. I have a Paxton Novi 2200 with intercooler. This one is air to air. I am only pushing 8 lbs of boost. The only thing my mech changed were the fuels and 39 lbs injectors.

Hope this helps you out?

Tom

With my 05 Mustang GT I am at 420 rwhp. Default with a manual is 268, atleast on mine. I have a Paxton Novi 2200 with intercooler. This one is air to air. I am only pushing 8 lbs of boost. The only thing my mech changed were the fuels and 39 lbs injectors.

Hope this helps you out?

Tom

Thanks Tom, did you buy yours from shelby and/or does it have the shelby on it. I would like to have that .

-Billy

Hey Billy I just got your email from yesterday. Sorry for the delay in responding.

As for my gains, I went from 347 RWHP to 508 RWHP by just installing the Novi 1200 SL (non-intercooled). I installed the kit myself and did not purchase it from Shelby.

Regarding blower choices, the Paxton is a great choice for road racing. The Whipple or KB (or any other roots style blower) is best for drag racing and/or most street applications, IMO.

If you want instant torque gains and intensely noticeable power gains, the Whipple or KB is the way to go. Centrifugal power is more manageable and less noticeable on the street. All of the gains are in the upper RPM range, 4k to redline. For what I enjoy doing, the Paxton was the best choice. You need to decide what it is you enjoy doing with your car the most, then make the decision based on that. The history of the Paxton/Shelby relationship is great, but it means little to anyone else. What matters is driving and being happy with your car (especially after the extra investment of a blower). Good luck with whichever route you choose.

Ken

I had Shelby install the Paxton on my GTH. It is the oil fed version which was what was availble in 2006. For my driving style I like the paxton plus I am old school and wanted the heritige and wanted to retain the strut brace. I do think Ford Racing is coming out with one that will fit over the Whipple. To that end, I cannot share what it is making as I have not had it dynoed. However, from the seat of my pants it seems more responsive that it was before the install.

I must say the GTH has the auto trans so I most likely don't get the response the manual cars would get since it is easier to maintain rpm bands. When you get on it it launches. I do like the idea that normal driving it is very easy to manage and no real impact on the motor (boost wise). This is just my thought of course. See the 2006 GTH section and I have posted some install pictures if interested.

I will share that during my pursute to get this done, I kept hearing that the Paxton was not CARB certified. However, when you called Paxton, they said they were. Do your research. SAI finally gave the green light for the 2006 GTH cars.

Had I gone roots style I would have went with the Whipple 475 hp. Good luck

Quatum told me that they are installing the 1200 paxton in a 2007 SGT today. This installation will qualify for the shelby registry, sc strips and factory superchargered placard. This was good news to me as this is exactly what I wanted to install from the day I drove the car out of the show room.

Thanks,

-Billy

You might want to think twice about what Quantum told you. Without saying more here, I would PM Chris Carter (drhvac) and get his take on what they are telling you.

While I have the KB now, my 2008 SGT originally had the Paxton installed on it at SAI. This was when Paxton was saying that they would have the 2008 CARB certification "any day." My car sat for 7 months waiting for that certification. In the end, SAI took off the Paxton and installed the KB.

I wanted the Paxton for the same reasons you wanted it. For me, it would have been ideal. I got my drag racing done in the 60's and prefer road courses and, as Ken said, the Paxton is ideal for that application. Good luck on your journey.

Jim

I have the Paxton Shelby Water/Air intercooled version, installed at Shelby before I took delivery on my 2007. (car is for sale now).

That said, horsepower wise it comes in at 437 to the rears, and 396 torque, tuned and dyno'd by Brenspeed on a 97 degree day. On a cooler day I suspect a bit more power and I did not go super aggressive on the tune. They felt 450-455 is possible to the rears if I wanted to push it.

I would also echo how driveable the Paxton is, along with maintaining the beefy strut brace. Torque comes on later than a Whipple, likely a better road course car.

I had a dyno run on my car yesterday at Quantum. With the cool temps, I'm getting right at 400 rwhp and 378 tq. The max boost was 9.41. This is with a non-intercooled 1200SL and economy motion delete plates. On a 101 degree day, the hp was 362.

I did the installation myself with some great advice along the way from Ken Kahmann.

Thanks to all you guys for your input and suggestions. I really do appreciate it. Thanks for getting back to me Ken, I kind of figured you had your hands full trying to get your engine together. I value your perspective and I really do need to decide and just get it done. I saved and saved and now I'm ready and I can't make a decison. As stated I need to just pull the trigger since any of these are going to put smiles on my face.

I'll not be drag racing other than going to the Friday night tune runs that is open for guys like me. (3 times or so a summer) I will be going back to mid america this year as we did last year. man that is the 1st track racing I had ever done (other than hauling moonshine in MS years ago) and I had a ball. Unfortunatly that is the only track that is close to me and it is 3 hours away.

I think at the end of the day I just need some good fun factor power that is safe and I can enjoy.

I'll get it done by the end of the month and then press forward with all the other mods I see you guys doing that I realy like.

Once again, Tanks Much,

-Billy

I had Shelby install the Paxton on my GTH. It is the oil fed version which was what was availble in 2006. For my driving style I like the paxton plus I am old school and wanted the heritige and wanted to retain the strut brace. I do think Ford Racing is coming out with one that will fit over the Whipple. To that end, I cannot share what it is making as I have not had it dynoed. However, from the seat of my pants it seems more responsive that it was before the install.

I must say the GTH has the auto trans so I most likely don't get the response the manual cars would get since it is easier to maintain rpm bands. When you get on it it launches. I do like the idea that normal driving it is very easy to manage and no real impact on the motor (boost wise). This is just my thought of course. See the 2006 GTH section and I have posted some install pictures if interested.

I will share that during my pursute to get this done, I kept hearing that the Paxton was not CARB certified. However, when you called Paxton, they said they were. Do your research. SAI finally gave the green light for the 2006 GTH cars.

Had I gone roots style I would have went with the Whipple 475 hp. Good luck

Harald, I went and looked at your car as you suggested. I really do like that very much. That may have sold me if I have SAI or Quatum do the install. I like the orginality of the new and old. I get taht decision made soon. Thanks for your help.

-Billy

Harald, I went and looked at your car as you suggested. I really do like that very much. That may have sold me if I have SAI or Quatum do the install. I like the orginality of the new and old. I get taht decision made soon. Thanks for your help.

-Billy

I have the Whipple and I love it. That said, if SAI could've installed Paxton, that's what I would have done. I don't think you'll be dissapointed, either way.

Archived