TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Gt stock, camber!

OK i have a Stock Orange grabber Shelby gt, and my front wheels are waring abnormally on the inside because of the camber. is it normal for Shelby to release cars with faulty alignments?> would a camber correction and maybe 2 new tires be under a warranty?

The SGT cars were not realigned at SAI after they were lowered. This topic has been discussed on this Forum a fair number of times. The bottom line is that a revised alignment and new front tires are not covered by any warrantee. I had read about this issue before I took delivery of my SGT and had caster/camber plates put on the car and revised the alignment. I have not had any unusual wear patterns.

Jim

I know that when I swaped wheels and tires to the GT500 take-offs from Shelby, I had the same questions. The old (original) BFG's, the inside shoulder was very worn. This was after 20,000 miles and for track days at PIR in Portland OR. The car will get an alignment this spring when I get it out of the garage along with caster/camber plates installed.

A search for "camber" in the Modification and Tech sub-forum will yield you years of information and debate. There are benefits, to some, and issues to others. You'll need to make your own call. I rotate my tires so I haven't see the issues, or they aren't visible enough for me to notice, so I haven't made any changes.

Here are a "few" of the existing threads that might answer your questions and maybe give you more to think about:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43740-castercamber-plates/'>http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43740-castercamber-plates/'>http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43740-castercamber-plates/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51079-camber-adjusters-for-s197/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44476-best-alignment-camber-bolts/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43740-castercamber-plates/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41622-front-end-alignment-specs/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34082-front-camber-bolt-kits/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30713-negative-camber/

A few older threads, but valuable, in this sub-forum that I never moved over:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23808-07-shelby-gt-alignment/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21441-ride-height/

Good reading!

-jeff

A search for "camber" in the Modification and Tech sub-forum will yield you years of information and debate. There are benefits, to some, and issues to others. You'll need to make your own call. I rotate my tires so I haven't see the issues, or they aren't visible enough for me to notice, so I haven't made any changes.

I called Ford Racing about this and they said to rotate the tires every 3000 miles. I've done this and have not noticed much or any wear on the inside, but then I don't drive it every day and I only have 7500 miles on it so far. For me having the improved performance in handling is a chosen benefit vs. longevity. This is what negative camber brings to the table.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this is just wrong. They lower the car 1.5" and don't align it. (thanks for all the links, Jeff)

Then Shelby sends me ads to buy the MM camber plates cuz they "are necessary when lowering the vehicle".

My tires wear out in under 11,000 miles, with proper rotation and inflation. These tires are on the average $200.00 each.

I tell Shelby (fwrnty) about this and they say "not authorized to replace under warranty".

Didn't ask them to replace. Asked them to install necessary parts and align correctly.

My vehicle is under warranty and yet I am fought for a warranty issue.

I saw in one of the above mentioned threads that Ford did authorize at least one replacement of tires and proper alignment,

Did anyone else get taken care of? If so, I would like the secret password, please.

More than anything else, this is getting tiring, old. Problem after problem.

OK i have a Stock Orange grabber Shelby gt, and my front wheels are waring abnormally on the inside because of the camber. is it normal for Shelby to release cars with faulty alignments?> would a camber correction and maybe 2 new tires be under a warranty?

Drive it harder around corners and your tires will wear evenly (and quickly). :lol:

I always thought it was a good thing that we have negative camber and improved handling as a result. But, I can see that everyone might not feel the same way. What Shelby probably should have done is notify buyers that the negative camber exists and to expect premature tire wear, etc. I suspect that Shelby simply did not consider or realize that the negative camber would result from the Ford Racing suspension installation. I wonder if one were to buy that suspension system, does it state that the tires must be re-aligned?

I just purchased a set of Ingall's 2 degree camber bolts and received them today...may try to get them installed and the alignment done this weekend. My Goodyear F1 Supercar tires are badly worn on the inside shoulder and I'm getting a roar at low speed...Guess I need a new set of fronts now too...

Had the Ingall's Camber Bolts installed at my Ford dealer this morning and had them do an alignment also. Camber was not all that bad at -1.7 on both sides, but the Toe was out on the driver's side. I had the tech go ahead and install the Ingall's Camber Bolts and brought it to spec a 0.08 on both sides and correct the Toe back to spec as well. Car drives well, I can tell a little difference without the negative camber, but since I'm not road racing, I think it'll be fine. The tech said he liked the way the Ingall's bolts installed and said they were much easier to adjust than the Roush or other kits they have seen other people use. He made sure to get the numbers off of the Ingall's box so he would have them for future reference. Cost was $25.00 for the Ingall's Camber Bolts shipped to my residence and $164.95 for the install and alignment at the dealership.

what's the part number? i see them on summitracing.com and they are cheaper individually than as a set of 2... all are cheaper than the BMR ones, but the Ingalls have a disclaimer about not being for suspension modified for racing...

I need the camber/casters too. My car does not steer or drive like it used to either. The steering is just not tight anymore and the tires are wearing on the inside. I am not sure what type of camber bolts or system to get as the pricing is from $25 to $300 bucks. I have 20K miles on my car now.

what's the part number? i see them on summitracing.com and they are cheaper individually than as a set of 2... all are cheaper than the BMR ones, but the Ingalls have a disclaimer about not being for suspension modified for racing...

81260 - 14mm Fastcam™ Bolts, Pair

Ingalls says to buy one box per side. My starting camber was -1.8 on each side and one bolt on each wheel in the top was more than enough to bring me to 0.08 camber setting which is the stock setting from the factory. My mechanic was very impressed with the bolts and the locking nuts being very high quality. He stated that he has done several Mustangs that have been lowered using several different kits, and this one was by far the easiest to use and set. Are they good for racing? Probably wouldn't be the best advice for any aftermarket part...but as I said, I'm not road racing, so they should do me just fine...I just hope that my front tires do better now as far as wear...

81260 - 14mm Fastcam™ Bolts, Pair

Ingalls says to buy one box per side. My starting camber was -1.8 on each side and one bolt on each wheel in the top was more than enough to bring me to 0.08 camber setting which is the stock setting from the factory. My mechanic was very impressed with the bolts and the locking nuts being very high quality. He stated that he has done several Mustangs that have been lowered using several different kits, and this one was by far the easiest to use and set. Are they good for racing? Probably wouldn't be the best advice for any aftermarket part...but as I said, I'm not road racing, so they should do me just fine...I just hope that my front tires do better now as far as wear...

I had the ingalls14mm fastcam bolts installed this week. Mechanic said the same thing, high quality and easy to install and align. Hope it will help the wear on my 20 inchers. I have an extra set of bolts, new in the box if anyone needs a set.

I've heard there are no dumb questions and this thread and the others go back a long way, but is it not possible to have this car alignment just adjusted back to factory specs through a normal alignment process, I don't know enough about these adjustment bolts everyone seems to need.

I like the way may Shelby handles, but whats the deal, I went back and went through a lot of Jeff's threads on this and as usual there were a great deal of opinions, my preference is for a normal road set up, I don' go to the track, but do like the way it is set up and handles, however, in this economy, I don't want to buy new tires or experience tread wear issues.

Anyone want to chime in with another option or recommendation that doesn't require a suspension modification, can the alignment just be adjusted, I'm at 1100 miles, don't see any issues, is it the alignment that should be checked and corrected under warranty. headscratch.gif

GG

I've heard there are no dumb questions and this thread and the others go back a long way, but is it not possible to have this car alignment just adjusted back to factory specs through a normal alignment process, I don't know enough about these adjustment bolts everyone seems to need.

I like the way may Shelby handles, but whats the deal, I went back and went through a lot of Jeff's threads on this and as usual there were a great deal of opinions, my preference is for a normal road set up, I don' go to the track, but do like the way it is set up and handles, however, in this economy, I don't want to buy new tires or experience tread wear issues.

Anyone want to chime in with another option or recommendation that doesn't require a suspension modification, can the alignment just be adjusted, I'm at 1100 miles, don't see any issues, is it the alignment that should be checked and corrected under warranty. headscratch.gif

GG

GG

With only 1100 miles, you are not going to notice any wear. But, when you get upwards of 20K miles, you will definately notice the wear. And NO, the suspension can NOT be adjusted back to normal specs without either the camber bolts OR Caster/Camber Plates. It is NOT a warranty issue. SA just lowered the cars and did NOT attempt any alignment on the cars...They should have in my opinion, but without the camber bolts or caster/camber plates, they could not have got the alignment back into stock specs. The camber bolts are cheap, $19.99 from Ingall's on Ebay...if you're not racing, these are the cheapest and easiest way to bring the car back into spec alignment.

Hope this helps,

Carl

With only 1100 miles, you are not going to notice any wear. But, when you get upwards of 20K miles, you will definately notice the wear. And NO, the suspension can NOT be adjusted back to normal specs without either the camber bolts OR Caster/Camber Plates. It is NOT a warranty issue. SA just lowered the cars and did NOT attempt any alignment on the cars...They should have in my opinion, but without the camber bolts or caster/camber plates, they could not have got the alignment back into stock specs. The camber bolts are cheap, $19.99 from Ingall's on Ebay...if you're not racing, these are the cheapest and easiest way to bring the car back into spec alignment.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Well that pretty much answers it for me, rotate tires and enjoy the ride and handling package. Thanks GG

Hope this helps,

Carl

Well the least you could have done Carl is made it sound more complicated than it is instead of some simple solution. You know on this forum we like 20 pages of ideas so we have something to be confused with. Kenny

Well the least you could have done Carl is made it sound more complicated than it is instead of some simple solution. You know on this forum we like 20 pages of ideas so we have something to be confused with. Kenny

HA HA, this was the easiest thing that I've done to the car for sure, and should have done it early on so I would not have worn out the inside edge of the tires...I can't really rotate my tires front to rear since I'm running the GT500 setup and the tires are different sizes front to rear...however, even if you are running stock BFG tires that are the same front and rear and rotate them say every 10K miles, you will eventually have this issue without adding the camber bolts at the very least...The suspension has negative camber now...yes, it handles very well and is GREAT if you are going road racing on a daily basis...but if you drive your vehicle daily as an every day driver, you should take the negative camber out. The car is still going to handle fine on the road, but will need to have negative camber put back into it if you decide to go road racing. I probably could have saved some money by taking the car somewhere else for the alignment, but from what I've read on other forums about people having problems with their install and/or alignment at those other locations, I decided to have a qualified technician do it at the dealership...plus I can get it warrantied now if I have problems in the future.

Well that pretty much answers it for me, rotate tires and enjoy the ride and handling package. Thanks GG

Even with rotating the tires you will eventually notice wear on the inside edge of them....may be further down the road than most of us, but it will still happen...the handling is still fine with the new camber bolts, it's just not quite the "slot car" feeling as before...but since I drive mine daily and plan on driving the wheels off of it before my kids get a chance to fight over it when I'm gone, I'll enjoy it like it is now...

I have had the MM caster camber plates on my 07 for a month and a half. They are coming off Friday and bolts are being installed. Less isolation equates to better response, but I have decided that the additional noise generated by the plates isn't for me. I'll be posting them for sell sometime this weekend in the classifieds. My Ford mechanic is a tuner and performance guy and tried to tell me that the way I drive, I would probably like the bolts best......but of course, I didn't listen! This pushes my header install out another couple of months!

I also had the old A arms replaced (35,500 miles) under warranty and man what a difference in front end noise reduction over rough pavement. There is a tech bulletin out that good old Jeff is here too or Grabber posted about this. Many thanks guys.

Live free, drive hard.

Perry

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the MM caster camber plates on my 07 for a month and a half. They are coming off Friday and bolts are being installed. Less isolation equates to better response, but I have decided that the additional noise generated by the plates isn't for me. I'll be posting them for sell sometime this weekend in the classifieds. My Ford mechanic is a tuner and performance guy and tried to tell me that the way I drive, I would probably like the bolts best......but of course, I didn't listen! This pushes my header install out another couple of months!

I also had the old A arms replaced (35,500 miles) under warranty and man what a difference in front end noise reduction over rough pavement. There is a tech bulletin out that good old Jeff is here too or Grabber posted about this. Many thanks guys.

Live free, drive hard.

Perry

I agree 100%. I just had the MM (Maximum Motorsports) caster camber plates installed on my car today...it handles great, drives straight and tires are perfectly lined up BUT the additional noise is not fro me either. They will be coming off as soon as I find out which ones to buy that will give me an alignment but not the added noise. How did the Ingalls work out?

I agree 100%. I just had the MM (Maximum Motorsports) caster camber plates installed on my car today...it handles great, drives straight and tires are perfectly lined up BUT the additional noise is not fro me either. They will be coming off as soon as I find out which ones to buy that will give me an alignment but not the added noise. How did the Ingalls work out?

Hey Swedeman, good to see you on here again! I installed the Ingall's camber bolts and my mechanic said they were the best design he has seen so far...the dealer had been using the Roush setup and he said that it was difficult to get a good alignment with them...He liked the way the Ingall's bolts installed and said they were very easy to adjust to achieve proper alignment...I'm happy with them...I went with stock GT camber setting of +.08 which eliminates the negative camber and puts it slightly on the positive side...not much, and raises the front of the car just a hair too...It drives well, I've run it up to 130 and it still feels good...Did I mention that I'm Happy With Them??? LOL Plus, it was a LOT cheaper than the caster/camber plates...

Carl

Archived