TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Decision Time

ageishecker

For years it has been my dream to own a Cobra. It's looking like 2010 might finally be the year. Now it's time for some serious research and decision-making. A few years ago I was leaning toward a quality kit, but am now thinking a CSX4000 or CSX6000 isa better investment. I'd like to get any opinions on the way to go. Should I like for a good previously owned car? Buy a new roller and have it finished? Any recommendations on Shelby dealers? I'm looking for any input you can offer on how to go about making my dream purchase.

Thanks.

For years it has been my dream to own a Cobra. It's looking like 2010 might finally be the year. Now it's time for some serious research and decision-making. A few years ago I was leaning toward a quality kit, but am now thinking a CSX4000 or CSX6000 isa better investment. I'd like to get any opinions on the way to go. Should I like for a good previously owned car? Buy a new roller and have it finished? Any recommendations on Shelby dealers? I'm looking for any input you can offer on how to go about making my dream purchase.

Thanks.

There are lots of fine used CSX cars on the market right now for really good prices. The choice would boil down to:

1. Do you want to drive the car now? Buy one

2. Do you take personal satisfaction in tinkering? (Mostly not letting a mechanical thing win?) Buy a roller, pick your power plant and put it together. I'll warn you from others experience that the assembly is not simple and not trouble free. The rollers will need some alteration to mate with the plant.

3. If you have an engine you want to put in, then buy a roller.

4. There are some true kits - pieces and parts in a box. Some of them are very nice but it can take a decade to put it together and there are many partially completed kits available.

There are lots of places to get better advice than here. My recommendation is you check out the following sites:

1. www.clubcobra.com. Note this site's banner claims "the worlds largest non-biased Cobra site" but in fact that are heavily biased AGAINST Shelby continuation series vehicles. Almost everyone there would rather buy anything but a Shelby (including some who literally tear apart the original over their own clones). They push Kirkham, ERA and Superformance. (Kirkhams are the only ones that deserve it in my opinion, but I specifically had to avoid aluminum due to the hail problems in our area. The Kirkhams build a superb car, and Shelby's aluminum rollers are sourced from Kirkham although built to different specs - their base for a car is a different year than Shelby's).

If you are into options 2 or 3 and aren't locked into a CSX roller or want a true kit, then this is probably your place though.

2. http://www.shelbyautos.com/forum2/default.asp . This is our very own Shelby Cobra owners forum. Very little traffic there though.

3. csxinfo.net another somewhat low volume site more dedicated to the originals.

The bigger ones like Superformance and Factory Five have their own community forums. I believe for Superformance you have to be an owner.

In looking for used vehicles the absolute best place to start is http://www.cobracountry.com/. I also know that there will be another Steve Becker (www.goplanetcobra.com) Cobra at the Barrett Jackson auction in a few weeks (CSX6018, lot 1254). When I bought mine one of his sold for $85K (+10%) that I didn't buy, One in Vegas went for about $120K. BJ has a couple of others coming up. Might be worth checking out.

Also, what do you intend on doing with it? If you want a car that is matched to street peformance and will be less squirrely on the road (read - a better HP/weight ratio) then consider a 289 car. The 427s can get loose from you very easily (I can speak from experience).

Whatever you do, drive it.

Thanks for the replies. I really think I want a continuation series over a replica because of the Shelby name and heritage. One of the reasons I've waited so long is so I could afford to do it right. That said, I'd like to hear from continuation series owners. Are you satisfied with your decision? Wouldn't this be the best place to get that advice?

If I buy a roller it will be from one of the Shelby dealers who will complete (or outsource for me) the drivetrain installation. I don't want to tinker that much.

I previously reviewed the list of Shelby dealers and looked at most of their websites. Some don't offer much information. Hence the question about experiences with any of them.

I do plan to drive it. I know the 427 can be a handful but emotionally prefer it over the 289. As I continue my research and get more opinions I might change my mind. That's why I want to get some information and take my time making the right decision.

Thanks.

Archived