TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby brake fluid cap trouble

I tried a search of my memory and the forum. I don't recall seeing this problem before.

Recently, I noticed the Shelby billet cap on my brake fluid was loose. Over a few months, the looseness got worse. In preparation for the Bash I went to change the brake fluid and took a good look at the cap and fluid reservoir. It turns out the threads of the plastic fluid reservoir have been damaged. The part at the end of the thread that would snug the cap down is basically ground away with little slivers of plastic around the edge. (I tried but I can't get quality pictures). While anything is possible, I don't believe I crossed thread the cap and reservoir or damaged it by putting on or taken off the cap. In fact I don't remember removing the cap more than a couple of times. There is no need to when checking the level. Now I need a new reservoir.

Anybody else come across this problem?

Maybe you could rap some electrical tape around the threads to snug it up.

Not sure that would be a good idea. The brake fluid might break down the tape and then mix in with the fluid. Then you would have contaminated fluid and lines. Could be very messy.

Thanks for all the ideas. I am calling my service guy bright and early tomorrow (planned oil change on Wed anyways). If I can't get it fixed, I am considering one or more wire ties to hold the cap down for the Bash. I'll get back to you all tomorrow.

Dealer should be able to replace the reservoir, great expectation he has in stock or at a local service depot, as they typically have a pin to retain to the master cylinder body. Reservoirs do have to have a fairly high pull off load due to rare issues at plant during the Brake system fill.

Dealer will have to do is suck the fluid down below the base where reservoir attaches and then have good size rag to catch anything that might drip. I am reasonably confident that you will not need the full brake system bled as air will flow back up into the new reservoir when new fluid is added.

You are correct in not trying to tape the resevoir head. Brake fluid is nasty stuff. Makes mess of paint, adhesives, and general feeling on your hands. Getting corrected is good because brake fluid absorbs moisture out to the air. Leaving a large opening just makes the absorption much faster and will get moisture within the brake lines. That may not be big issue for you as I recall you track your car and bleed it often.

Also check you cap to verify it is not cutting into the threads on the reservoir.

Tom

Thanks for all the ideas. I am calling my service guy bright and early tomorrow (planned oil change on Wed anyways). If I can't get it fixed, I am considering one or more wire ties to hold the cap down for the Bash. I'll get back to you all tomorrow.

I am glad you found the problem. I suggest you do whatever it takes to get the new reservoir. Having tech'd cars I personally would fail your tech inspection at the track and not let you on track. Tie straps are not going to cut it on a brake reservoir. That's dangerous. Brake fluid is extremely hard to clean up on the track surfaced and would prevent your fellow participants from having fun for the track time they paid for. I'm sure you understand all of that. I just hope you can get the parts you need and get this fixed so you can have a good time at the Bash!!

I will place my OEM in the trunk. If you need it, let me know Wednesday evening. Good luck.

Just pulled my caps from storage and realized that the insert for the OEM brake cap was removed and inserted into the billet cap i am using. So for me to bring a cap with no rubber insert would defeate your solution and still leak. Hopefully Ford can help you.

• 2 months later...

So what was the problem? I have the same issue with an oil cap just spinning around. It's like it doesn't have a stop.

Archived