TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacement hood vents but with scoops?

SmellSoGood

Does anyone know if a stock hood scoop replacement exists or could exist in the near future that is a raised scoop than what currently looks like a vent on our Shelby. I like the distinct look on the 10' GT500, but was curious to see if a raised scoop could serve things up better for the engine.

Does anyone know if a stock hood scoop replacement exists or could exist in the near future that is a raised scoop than what currently looks like a vent on our Shelby. I like the distinct look on the 10' GT500, but was curious to see if a raised scoop could serve things up better for the engine.

The "vent" is just that... a vent. Its made to extract heat from the engine compartment. Adding a scoop there will do nothing to feed more air into a 2010's CAI, beacause of the seal that presses up against the underside of the hood. That seal around the air filter ensures that cold air from the upper grille area is fed into the system, and not hot air from around the radiator or engine block. Even if you put on a Super Snake style hood, I believe you need to duct the two front intakes to fed air to the CAI. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

The "vent" is just that... a vent. Its made to extract heat from the engine compartment. Adding a scoop there will do nothing to feed more air into a 2010's CAI, beacause of the seal that presses up against the underside of the hood. That seal around the air filter ensures that cold air from the upper grille area is fed into the system, and not hot air from around the radiator or engine block. Even if you put on a Super Snake style hood, I believe you need to duct the two front intakes to fed air to the CAI. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Maybe I'll be honest and want something more for the looks that performs the same as the vent. I love the aggressive hood styles of other Mustangs with the scoop popping out.

As for the KR hood, I'll pass on the $19k CF hood option (now it's only $9k). Don't know how much the SS hood is, but that's overkill either way. Just looking for a cheap image enhancer.

Archived