TEAM SHELBY FORUM

head tick???

well within the last 2 weeks my sgt has got a little tick coming from the motor... I have to think its something coming from under the valve cover... has anyone had any kind of tick noises coming from under the hood.... also I can only hear it with the widows up radio down and inside the car...

well within the last 2 weeks my sgt has got a little tick coming from the motor... I have to think its something coming from under the valve cover... has anyone had any kind of tick noises coming from under the hood.... also I can only hear it with the widows up radio down and inside the car...

I have no problems with my car but its a noisy ticky engine from day one...my car had 11 miles on it when I bought it.

Its the nature of the 4.6 beast I think. And that seems universal when talking to folks about the GT mustangs...maybe you just never noticed until recently?

I have no problems with my car but its a noisy ticky engine from day one...my car had 11 miles on it when I bought it.

Its the nature of the 4.6 beast I think. And that seems universal when talking to folks about the GT mustangs...maybe you just never noticed until recently?

Ya could be hearing the injectors ticking away.

There is a TSB that speaks to this symptom, no idea if its what you're hearing, nor technically if it applies to your car but it does provide some guidance as to what some possible causes might be.

2009-11-14_222832_vct.pdf

Thanks for the replys fellows and I have to say there has got to be something up I have had my sgt for almost a year now and am just now noticeing the tick.. it will tick when I start it up and you can still here it at a light engine rev until the exhaust takes over the tick... I am going to b on the safe side and take it in for the tsb that was posted.... Again thanks all..

Thanks for the replys fellows and I have to say there has got to be something up I have had my sgt for almost a year now and am just now noticeing the tick.. it will tick when I start it up and you can still here it at a light engine rev until the exhaust takes over the tick... I am going to b on the safe side and take it in for the tsb that was posted.... Again thanks all..

Mine's ticked since Day 1.

It always sounded to me like injectors (or a tiny little exhaust manifold leak on the passenger side, or underneath, even).

I had it examined by my mechanic, who is very Mustang-savvy, a former tech/designer for years at Steeda... he later dyno'd it, it put up solid dyno numbers. He found no trouble. So I stopped letting it bother me.

But I can't hear yours from my house, so you're certainly wise to get it looked at. ;)

Jer

Mine's ticked since Day 1.

It always sounded to me like injectors (or a tiny little exhaust manifold leak on the passenger side, or underneath, even).

I had it examined by my mechanic, who is very Mustang-savvy, a former tech/designer for years at Steeda... he later dyno'd it, it put up solid dyno numbers. He found no trouble. So I stopped letting it bother me.

But I can't hear yours from my house, so you're certainly wise to get it looked at. wink.gif

Jer

I thought I had a small exhaust leak as well, but no...happy%20feet.gif

Can you narrow down the origin by use of a stethoscope? Be careful with it near a running engine.

I have a bottle-jack handle, a two-foot long round tube that works great: one open end near the ear, the other pressed against a cylinder head at various places might give you a bit of guidance.

Archived