TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger upgrade question $$?

scottGT500

Hello everyone!

Before I go to my local guy...I would like to know what would be needed if I were to upgrade to a KB 2.8 or a Whipple 2.9 (condiderably cheaper than a TVS). I am hoping that the SC will be a true $3000-$3500 cost. What else is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I know that certain things are "recommended" but I want to know what I am to actually run into as far as cost is concerned. I mean...stock intake, stock injectors, stock this, stock that, what do I HAVE to get. I have a budget in mind. Best case, is just doing the SC switch and dyno...**what is the average cost of a SC upgrade install???**

I will be running fairly low boost I would imagine because I don't want it to be completely undriveable. I am thinking 600-650 RWHP.

Let me know....

Scott

I'm not sure of prices (others can chime in), but the minimum add-ons are as follows:

KB 2.8: requires fuel pump upgrade, larger injectors, notched hood or engine lowering, one piece driveshaft.

Whipple 2.9: Some say that can be a stand-alone BUT, SAI and most people I've talked to HIGHLY recommend a one piece driveshaft, as the torque those things make is sick.

TVS: Nothing else required.

As far as install prices, way back when I got an install quote of $600 from my Ford dealer for a FRRP TVS. I wound up doing it myself after I saw how easy it was. If you're not getting the FRPP version and worried about the warranty, I'm sure a reputable shop can do it cheaper.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure of prices (others can chime in), but the minimum add-ons are as follows:

KB 2.8: requires fuel pump upgrade, larger injectors, notched hood or engine lowering, one piece driveshaft.

Whipple 2.9: Some say that can be a stand-alone BUT, SAI and most people I've talked to HIGHLY recommend a one piece driveshaft, as the torque those things make is sick.

TVS: Nothing else required.

As far as install prices, way back when I got an install quote of $600 from my Ford dealer for a FRRP TVS. I wound up doing it myself after I saw how easy it was. If you're not getting the FRPP version and worried about the warranty, I'm sure a reputable shop can do it cheaper.

Hope this helps.

That helps a ton! Thank you! I guess that the KB is now out...I don't want to mess with engine lowering etc...I have heard that the Whipple 2.9 is a GREAT SC because you can change power DRAMATICALLY by switching out the pulley. This is best case for me because I may want more later on and the TVS can max out for efficiency reasons...but...if the TVS were cheaper, I would probably go that route because the end effect of power should be where I would want to be (600-650 with a 2.6). I am at 540 with the stock SC with at 2.6/tune. Why is the TVS so much more $$!?

So an install (whipple) shouldn't be more that $500-$600ish + plus tune?

Oh yeah, what is the long term effects of an upgraded SC? This is my daily driver so I need to be "careful" if you know what I mean...I have a connection at a Ford Dealership through my tuner...but still, anything to be concerned about?

Scott

Scott,

I have to ask. With having 540 to the wheels now aren't you having traction problems as it is? I'd hate to see you spend the extra money on a new supercharger only to never be able to use the power.

Scott,

I have to ask. With having 540 to the wheels now aren't you having traction problems as it is? I'd hate to see you spend the extra money on a new supercharger only to never be able to use the power.

Yes, and yes. I am getting some new wheels/tires (11" rears w/305or315's) soon so that should help! What else, traction-wise, should help?

That helps a ton! Thank you! I guess that the KB is now out...I don't want to mess with engine lowering etc...I have heard that the Whipple 2.9 is a GREAT SC because you can change power DRAMATICALLY by switching out the pulley. This is best case for me because I may want more later on and the TVS can max out for efficiency reasons...but...if the TVS were cheaper, I would probably go that route because the end effect of power should be where I would want to be (600-650 with a 2.6). I am at 540 with the stock SC with at 2.6/tune. Why is the TVS so much more $$!?

So an install (whipple) shouldn't be more that $500-$600ish + plus tune?

Oh yeah, what is the long term effects of an upgraded SC? This is my daily driver so I need to be "careful" if you know what I mean...I have a connection at a Ford Dealership through my tuner...but still, anything to be concerned about?

Scott

Why does the TVS cost so much? Simple, Ford Racing is in the gouging business for anything they put their name on. A FRPP 2.9 kit is about $500 more than a non-FRPP kit, which has more HP. You can pick up just the 2.9 at Lethal for $3514.

Long term effects? Any power upgrade is harder on internals, but I guess it depends on how crazy you want to go. I'm staying with the TVS because that's my limit.

Yes, and yes. I am getting some new wheels/tires (11" rears w/305or315's) soon so that should help! What else, traction-wise, should help?

Wider rims and better tires is about all you can do. You'll never be able to take advantage of all the power without a drag radial.

I'm probably going to just do the pulley upgrade like you did for now. I'm having traction issues with just a tune on the stock setup. My car is just a street car with maybe a trip to the track on a test and tune day

Archived