TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Here's a mod question for the Gear Heads!!!

We all know that more air compressed into the cylinders is a good thing so supercharging by belts or turbo's is a plus. But are you ready !! Why can't you hook up a system that is run by an electrical motor that would do the same job as the other's ???

I'm thinking something similar to a leaf blower motor!! No I didn't stop taking my Meds either. This has been on my mind since, I made that ram air set-up with the agent 47 brake scoops. I took my leaf blower and put the nozzle into the brake duct and sent the air into the cai tube and filter. The car started to idle really rough and this was before my cam swap but on a dyno with a qualified tuner. I wonder if we would see some hp change's in the plus side ???

So go on and bash me call me crazy but was Thomas edison crazy too!!!

Email sent from the Institution of Mentally challeged :drool::rant2:

My guess, is that it would take too much electrical power to turn a compressor capable of that volume and pressure for a meaningful amount of time... similar to hydraulics for hopping a car, you'd need a lot of batteries that couldn't be charged with a factory alternator system, lots of extra weight....

but that's just a guess....

I don't see any reason you couldn't do that but you're talking *big* electrical power to make enough boost# and volume for decent-sized V8, so you'd have to drive a large generator to power a large electrical motor to drive a blower and the net result would just be less efficient than driving the blower mechanically due to multiple additional conversion losses (generator and motor).

Alternatively, you could store that much energy in a bunch of batteries to unload the engine but then you'd have to carry that additional weight too.

Alterntaively, you could mount a 150HP motor in the trunk to drive the generator to drive the sc for the motor under the hood ...still have the added weight.

Engines, generators, motors, battery-banks are all heavy.

No matter how you slice it the energy has to come from somewhere to power the SC and the engine under the hood is an efficient place to get it from (belt).

How about twin leaf blowers? wink.gif

32055111207_large.jpg

Keep on think'n man........keep on think'n.

And I mean that in a good way!

I don't see any reason you couldn't do that but you're talking *big* electrical power to make enough boost# and volume for decent-sized V8, so you'd have to drive a large generator to power a large electrical motor to drive a blower and the net result would just be less efficient than driving the blower mechanically due to multiple additional conversion losses (generator and motor).

Alternatively, you could store that much energy in a bunch of batteries to unload the engine but then you'd have to carry that additional weight too.

Alterntaively, you could mount a 150HP motor in the trunk to drive the generator to drive the sc for the motor under the hood ...still have the added weight.

Engines, generators, motors, battery-banks are all heavy.

No matter how you slice it the energy has to come from somewhere to power the SC and the engine under the hood is an efficient place to get it from (belt).

How about twin leaf blowers? wink.gif

32055111207_large.jpg

Now you are talking my language!!

Hey guys thanks for the congrats on my car in the magazine!! Also your input on the my topic. With all this tech in this world why couldn't come. Up with something new. Like, I mentioned once before hot air is a bad thing for any gas engine and starting from the cold Air intake which is really a hot air intake. That's why I ran that brake duct hose up to my cold air intake. I also notice that the new GT500 has a scoop from the grill into the CAI box. You track guys should consider putting a T fitting in the driverside hose to run some cooler air up to the CAI. I'm sure it would be is to get one from home depot. Then test it with a fan or the famous leaf blower and of course anyone can do this mod also. Look how much are cars run cooler with the hood scoop opened up. Put 2 heat extractor vents into the hood and get that engine even cooler. That will be my next project vents and charge plates.I can't the heat that comes off a turbo charged engine. Replace it with an electric blower motor and heat problems.

I'm going to try and figure out for the hell of it if I used a converter to run the leaf blower off my cars electricity and see what the draw would be if my car doesn't fry up.

Happy new year to all a good health year!!!

Anthony

Hummm....would that make it a Hybrid blower? :hysterical:

I believe that should work in theory. Like some of the previous posts stated, it's the details and the execution that will be a challenge.

I am wondering what its benefit would be over say a conventional supercharger?

Perhaps take less power from the engine and be more efficient? Maybe, but the increased electrical power requirements won't come for free. Power needed for the electrical motor to turn the compressor may be more than the power taken from the engine with a conventional supercharger. Plus the extra weight due to beefing up the electrical system.

As mentioned, sync'ing the electric blower with the engine RPM might be tricky, but it comes for "free" when the blower is driven from the engine.

Anyway, it's an interesting question.

Well it was some what of a good thought but if I ever get my car on a dyno. I'm going to bring my leaf blower with me and see if they are willing to do a run with it hooked up. what's the worst that can happen to me get throw out to the curb with the trash. :hysterical:

Anthony

Hey a CRX would better than to heavy armed sergants driving me to the mental ward for a nice 5 week stay. :hysterical: No lie there.

The leaf blower is electric but my chain saw is gas !!!!!! :drool:

here's my bronx uniform notice my happy friend behind me !!!

post-18733-126266576332_thumb.jpg

post-18733-126266576332_thumb.jpg

You could also try adding Nitrous Oxide into the leaf blower's air flow and see what happens then. :hysterical:

How about nitrous on a lawn tractor !!!!

You know, I think that's been done. There is a whole group of folks that race lawn tractors, and I can't imagine that someone in that world has not tried NO in their mower.

post-4213-12627349026_thumb.jpg

post-4213-12627349026_thumb.jpg

ok guys all joking aside here is the real deal 3 starter motors and a roots style blower.

0406tur_knight02_z.jpg

and an article about it.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/index.html

Ok you got me on that one!! How about a wood stove making steam to turn the supercharger

Ok you got me on that one!! How about a wood stove making steam to turn the supercharger

lol something like this?

Turbine engines

A rotor of a modern steam turbine, used in a power plantMain article: Steam turbine

A steam turbine consists of an alternating series of one or more rotating discs mounted on a drive shaft, rotors, and static discs fixed to the turbine casing, stators. The rotors have a propeller-like arrangement of blades at the outer edge. Steam acts upon these blades, producing rotary motion. The stator consists of a similar, but fixed, series of blades that serve to redirect the steam flow onto the next rotor stage. A steam turbine often exhausts into a surface condenser that provides a vacuum. The stages of a steam turbine are typically arranged to extract the maximum potential work from a specific velocity and pressure of steam, giving rise to a series of variably sized high and low pressure stages. Turbines are only effective if they rotate at very high speed, therefore they are usually connected to reduction gearing to drive another mechanism, such as a ship's propeller, at a lower speed. This gearbox can be mechanical but today it is more common to use an alternator/generator set to produce electricity that later is used to drive an electric motor. A turbine rotor is also only capable of providing power when rotating in one direction. Therefore a reversing stage or gearbox is usually required where power is required in the opposite direction.

Steam turbines provide direct rotational force and therefore do not require a linkage mechanism to convert reciprocating to rotary motion. Thus, they produce smoother rotational forces on the output shaft. This contributes to a lower maintenance requirement and less wear on the machinery they power than a comparable reciprocating engine.

The Turbinia - the first steam turbine-powered shipThe main use for steam turbines is in electricity generation (about 80% of the world's electric production is by use of steam turbines)[citation needed] and to a lesser extent as marine prime movers. In the former, the high speed of rotation is an advantage, and in both cases the relative bulk is not a disadvantage; in the latter (pioneered on the Turbinia), the light weight, high efficiency and high power are highly desirable.

Virtually all nuclear power plants generate electricity by heating water to provide steam that drives a turbine connected to an electrical generator. Nuclear-powered ships and submarines either use a steam turbine directly for main propulsion, with generators providing auxiliary power, or else employ turbo-electric propulsion, where the steam drives a turbine-generator set with propulsion provided by electric motors. A limited number of steam turbine railroad locomotives were manufactured. Some non-condensing direct-drive locomotives did meet with some success for long haul freight operations in Sweden and for express passenger work in Britain, but were not repeated. Elsewhere, notably in the U.S.A., more advanced designs with electric transmission were built experimentally, but not reproduced. It was found that steam turbines were not ideally suited to the railroad environment and these locomotives failed to oust the classic reciprocating steam unit in the way that modern diesel and electric traction has done.

just hook one up to the rotors.

Archived