TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 Advice

Good morning. I need some advice from the members of this board.

I have been number 1 on a dealers list here in NC since last summer with the promise to sell me a Shelby at MSRP. From prior communications he has received from Ford he believes he will be getting three cars but he has not seen an official allocation. To his credit, he called me yesterday and told me that he would still sell me his first car and at MSRP like he promised but he would be adding ADM to the other two.

All of this is good but he wants to place the order for the car immediately. The only problem I have with this is that the prices have not yet been released. I have never ordered anything without knowing the price so I am a little aprehensive to say the least. He wants $5000 to place the order for the car and that is not refundable. I am not in the position I am today by being stupid with my money and I don't want to start now. What would you do in this situation?

I have heard all of the rumors about MSRP on this car. Does anybody have an idea what the coupe will really be priced?

Since he knows he will have no problems selling the car it sounds like he's hoping by putting pressure on you you will back out and then he can sell it for more. To his credit he is sticking to the deal he made with you. MSRP will most likly be about $40,000 or so.

See if the dealer will agree to the non-refundable deposit, with one condition. If the MSRP is over (fill in your top amount here), the deposit is refundable. Might be worth a try.

Another approach: Tell him the deposit should be refundable, because if you back out he will probably more than make up for it with the next ADM.

NCStang -

First question - what do YOU want? If you want the car, I would order it the way you want it. Get all the numbers in writing: "deal is for MSRP with no dealer-added charges other than those he tells you about up front (processing fee? for example)" and use the date of signing the order in writing as the 'drop dead date' by which he must disclose any additional charges. Let a lawyer look at it. With all the horror stories, you may have a dealer who is - possibly not happily - staying true to his word. You should be able to flip the car for at least what you paid for it if you pay MSRP. Tough call, but if you want the car I'd go for it while covering your butt legally to ensure he delivers on the promise. An honest dealer will not resent you wanting to keep things on the up and up. He would do it if it were reversed.

If you want the car, order it now. Ford said under $40k all along. If they go over 40, it won't be by much. Worse case scenario is $45 with all the options, destination, etc. If that $5k is enough to break the deal, then don't do it. You will either be hard pressed to find another dealer after pricing is released or you will have to wait until next summer or so to get one at MSRP. I bet you could easily get MSRP out of someone right here on this board.

Sounds like good advice to me.

Sign for MSRP. What ever that may be, I can't fathum that you'll ever see this car go for less than that anyway, I really can't.

Regardless, it's a more than fair offer, and you can stipulate that if the MRSP is over the projected amount that this will be your only stipulation to refund your deposit.

KingCobra.

As some of the others have said, if you want the car order it. :yup: Sounds like you have a good deal there and the pricing WILL be in the neighborhood of what FOMOCO has said $40-45 K . I've done the same thing on my deal.

What are you ordering??? Colours and options.

KingCobra.

Here is the latest.......My dealer called me this afternoon and we discussed the $5K down and he has changed his tune. Since it is just a down payment he will refund my money if I decide not to buy the car when the official MSRP comes out.

He took my information over the phone and entered the order in the system. When he tried to submit the order the message he got was "job 1 line not availale". At that point he hit the "F4" key and the system took the order. He got confirmation that the order was in Ford's order bank. He told me that he would have a confirmation back in a few days.

I will be making a trip on Friday afternoon to pay the 5K down and get all of this in writing. He did verify before we got off the phone that I would get the car at MSRP. We also discussed the dealer processing fee of $200 as well as tags, tax and title.

I went with the coupe 820A, Torch Red D3 with Perf White stripes 854 with the GW interior and the 68S interior upgrade. Hopefully the order is in the system and all systems are go!!

Here is the latest.......My dealer called me this afternoon and we discussed the $5K down and he has changed his tune. Since it is just a down payment he will refund my money if I decide not to buy the car when the official MSRP comes out.

He took my information over the phone and entered the order in the system. When he tried to submit the order the message he got was "job 1 line not availale". At that point he hit the "F4" key and the system took the order. He got confirmation that the order was in Ford's order bank. He told me that he would have a confirmation back in a few days.

I will be making a trip on Friday afternoon to pay the 5K down and get all of this in writing. He did verify before we got off the phone that I would get the car at MSRP. We also discussed the dealer processing fee of $200 as well as tags, tax and title.

I went with the coupe 820A, Torch Red D3 with Perf White stripes 854 with the GW interior and the 68S interior upgrade. Hopefully the order is in the system and all systems are go!!

I got the same one. No room for golf clubs with the Shaker 1000! My dealer faxed me the actual confirmation page. It was a "printscreen" of what comes up after the infamous "F4" key. There is also a second sheet that is the "condensed" version of the first one. There was a number at the end of it....three hundred and something....I don't know if that was the 3???th car the dealership had ordered this year through the system or if there were 3??? Shelby orders in front of me. If it means anything, the "Priority" number was 15. Congrats. I'll smile and wave when we pass each other around August (if we're lucky!!)

The 4 digit code is an order #. It is arbitrarily picked by the dealer. It means nothing, just a way of knowing which order is which. Priority Code is important. A dealer can assign one from 10-49, with 10 meaning build this one first and 49 last, with everything in between.

VERY IMPORTANT! The 10-49 priority code is specific to each dealer and by model line. This means that on Mustangs it will include all V6's, GT's, and GT500's ordered by that dealer. A 15 can be the first GT500 if 10-14 are V6's and GT's - you are only competing with other GT500's. Lowest #'d priority code GT500 will be built first for that dealer - unless there is a shortage of something needed for that car when it is time to build a GT500 for that dealer. In that case, the lowest #'d priority code for a GT500 that Ford has all commodities for will be built.

Oh, and congrats to NCStangFanatic for getting what appears to be a good dealer to work with.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 14 2006, 05:44 PM) 5161[/snapback]

The 4 digit code is an order #. It is arbitrarily picked by the dealer. It means nothing, just a way of knowing which order is which. Priority Code is important. A dealer can assign one from 10-49, with 10 meaning build this one first and 49 last, with everything in between.

VERY IMPORTANT! The 10-49 priority code is specific to each dealer and by model line. This means that on Mustangs it will include all V6's, GT's, and GT500's ordered by that dealer. A 15 can be the first GT500 if 10-14 are V6's and GT's - you are only competing with other GT500's. Lowest #'d priority code GT500 will be built first for that dealer - unless there is a shortage of something needed for that car when it is time to build a GT500 for that dealer. In that case, the lowest #'d priority code for a GT500 that Ford has all commodities for will be built.

Oh, and congrats to NCStangFanatic for getting what appears to be a good dealer to work with.

Thanks. That explains my arbitrary 4 digit code. It's a zero then my area code. As for the 15 on the priority, I don't know what all they ordered Monday but since it was the first day the books were open for Mustangs, I'd imagine that's all it was and I'm a few down the list. Whatever...the deal's done, the car's ordered, the price was right. I'm a happy camper and my dealer will get my business and the business of my friends and family for years to come. He is awesome, truthful and a true professional. Listen up Ford, you need more of these folks.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 14 2006, 05:44 PM) 5161[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Thanks. That explains my arbitrary 4 digit code. It's a zero then my area code. As for the 15 on the priority, I don't know what all they ordered Monday but since it was the first day the books were open for Mustangs, I'd imagine that's all it was and I'm a few down the list. Whatever...the deal's done, the car's ordered, the price was right. I'm a happy camper and my dealer will get my business and the business of my friends and family for years to come. He is awesome, truthful and a true professional. Listen up Ford, you need more of these folks.

Good on ya man!!!

I'm very happy for you.

Can't wait to be happy for myself!!!

KingCobra.

Hey Five O,

Do you have any way of finding out when the order books will be open in Canada???

Could you help a brother out???

KingCobra.

King Cobra, even though I live in a little suburb of Vancouver, B.C. (OK, so Seattle isn't really a suburb of Vancouver - but, it's near by), I don't get any info on Canadian programs and availability. Ford keeps seperate dealer website for Yankees and Canucks - sorry!

What are you ordering??? Colours and options.

KingCobra.

Ordered the Coupe, alloy with crimson red int, upgraded interior package and Sirius radio package.If Alloy dosen't pan out( Have yet to see the actual color) I'll just have the dealer modify the DORA.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 15 2006, 12:44 AM) 5161[/snapback]

Five Oh, My priority code is 10 and price level 700? Is that good? Oh no it is 700K. :D

How long will a DORA take? Ordered on monday.

Five Oh, My priority code is 10 and price level 700? Is that good? Oh no it is 700K. :D

How long will a DORA take? Ordered on monday.

Price level means nothing, except that as Ford makes price changes throughout the year (about every 3 months) the price level number goes up so that we can keep track of different MSRP's for the same car. For example, 2003 Mach 1's just like mine started in late 2002 with an MSRP of $29,390, but by the time mine was built in May 2003 the MSRP for the exact same car (same equipment, same everything) had risen to $29,675. By 2004, the same exact car had an MSRP over $30K. Likewise, a 2005 GT initially had an MSRP of $139,995 before any options, but by the end of 2005 and for 2006 MSRP had creeped up to $149,995 before any options.

DORA's usually take a few days and up to a week.

I have been number 1 on a dealers list here in NC since last summer with the promise to sell me a Shelby at MSRP. From prior communications he has received from Ford he believes he will be getting three cars but he has not seen an official allocation. To his credit, he called me yesterday and told me that he would still sell me his first car and at MSRP like he promised but he would be adding ADM to the other two.

All of this is good but he wants to place the order for the car immediately. The only problem I have with this is that the prices have not yet been released. I have never ordered anything without knowing the price so I am a little aprehensive to say the least. He wants $5000 to place the order for the car and that is not refundable. I am not in the position I am today by being stupid with my money and I don't want to start now. What would you do in this situation?

I have heard all of the rumors about MSRP on this car. Does anybody have an idea what the coupe will really be priced?

Can you tell me what a DORA is? :shrug: Thanks.

Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement: Just a receipt from Ford acknowledging that they received a vehicle order from a dealer. It lists the vehicle, optional equipment ordered, colors, and customer's name (1st initial and last name) to verify the order for accuracy and track. Many dealers will make a copy of a DORA for their customers to give them peace of mind that their order is in and to verify that a) the dealer entered the order correctly, and B) Ford got the order keyed in correctly.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 21 2006, 09:46 AM) 5729[/snapback]

Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement: Just a receipt from Ford acknowledging that they received a vehicle order from a dealer. It lists the vehicle, optional equipment ordered, colors, and customer's name (1st initial and last name) to verify the order for accuracy and track. Many dealers will make a copy of a DORA for their customers to give them peace of mind that their order is in and to verify that a) the dealer entered the order correctly, and B) Ford got the order keyed in correctly.

I have received a form from my dealer that says 'Vehicle Order Confirmation' across the top and lists the options etc.

example (minus identifying info)

Cxxxxxxx ==> VEHICLE ORDER CONFIRMATION 03/16/06 18:49:37

Dealer: Fxxxxx

Page'. 1 of 1

Price Level: 700

Order No: Fxxx Priority: 10 Order Type: 1

Order Code: 820A Cust/Flt Name: myname PO Number:

RETAIL DLR INV

T88 SHELBY COUPE 854 WHITE STRIPE

G9 VISTA BLUE 153 FRT LIC BRACKET

G NO GRAIN MINI

W DARK CHARCOAL

820A ORDER CODE

ANTI-LOCK BRKS

TRACTION CONTRL

PWR DRIVER SEAT

99S 5.4L SC 4V V8

44E 6-SPD MAN TRANS

T9H F255/45E18

PRICED DORA REQ

CAL. BOARD FEES

422 CALIF EMISSIONS

68S PREM TRIM PKG

F1=Help F2=Return to Order F3/12=Veh Ord Menu

SQ05 - INQUIRY IS COMPLETE Qxxxxxx

So is this what you are referring to as a DORA?

Also, since this order is in my name, does it guarantee that Ford will build it? (if order does not change or is cancelled) and that I am to be the receipient?

What does 'PRICED DORA REQ' mean?

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 21 2006, 09:46 AM) 5729[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I have received a form from my dealer that says 'Vehicle Order Confirmation' across the top and lists the options etc.

example (minus identifying info)

Cxxxxxxx ==> VEHICLE ORDER CONFIRMATION 03/16/06 18:49:37

Dealer: Fxxxxx

Page'. 1 of 1

Price Level: 700

Order No: Fxxx Priority: 10 Order Type: 1

Order Code: 820A Cust/Flt Name: myname PO Number:

RETAIL DLR INV

T88 SHELBY COUPE 854 WHITE STRIPE

G9 VISTA BLUE 153 FRT LIC BRACKET

G NO GRAIN MINI

W DARK CHARCOAL

820A ORDER CODE

ANTI-LOCK BRKS

TRACTION CONTRL

PWR DRIVER SEAT

99S 5.4L SC 4V V8

44E 6-SPD MAN TRANS

T9H F255/45E18

PRICED DORA REQ

CAL. BOARD FEES

422 CALIF EMISSIONS

68S PREM TRIM PKG

F1=Help F2=Return to Order F3/12=Veh Ord Menu

SQ05 - INQUIRY IS COMPLETE Qxxxxxx

So is this what you are referring to as a DORA?

Also, since this order is in my name, does it guarantee that Ford will build it? (if order does not change or is cancelled) and that I am to be the receipient?

What does 'PRICED DORA REQ' mean?

You don't actually have the order placed with Ford, (I have the same form). As 5 OH and others have said, the DORA is what the factory uses as it's "Order". You can check back with the dealer in a few days, and if the order is placed, he should be able to give you a copy. My dealer is waiting on their "hard" allottment figures.

As a followup question - My understanding is that a DORA would also include things like dealer cost/parts pricing. If that is the case, since official pricing has not yet been released, DORAs for any order would not yet be available? Does anyone who's placed an order have their DORA yet?

I'm going to take a stab at this one. I believe there is a DORA and a Priced DORA. The DORAs I have are just a reieration of the order that was placed with Ford to show that Ford got the information correctly. I think what you are talking about, with prices and costs, is a Priced DORA.

I'm sure Five OH can clear it up, though.

Archived