TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Returns do you usually get on your Investments?

If you Invested $10,000.00 in a special project and (for the sake of this post) everything went according to plan......... how much of a return on your Investment would you be expecting to have received at the end of the project in Two Years?

Would a Return of $26,865.00 be one of those "To Good to be True" Investments?

If you Invested $10,000.00 in a special project and (for the sake of this post) everything went according to plan......... how much of a return on your Investment would you be expecting to have received at the end of the project in Two Years?

Well the way Wall Street now works I would feel lucky to still have the 10k after Two Years.......

:doh:

Too good to be true...........................YES. Anybody considering such an investment better be real prepared to lose their $10,000 investment. Someone willing to pay that kind of a return has to be promoting a very risky project!

Too good to be true...........................YES. Anybody considering such an investment better be real prepared to lose their $10,000 investment. Someone willing to pay that kind of a return has to be promoting a very risky project!

I hope it is not "To Good To Be True"..........Because it is MY Project that I am seeking Investors. For more info on the Project go to my Web Site: http://www.tallamedia.com/ then click on the Red Link Bar for the 45th Anniversary Book then scroll down to the Link Bar for Investors. :happy feet:

I hope it is not "To Good To Be True"..........Because it is MY Project that I am seeking Investors. For more info on the Project go to my Web Site: http://www.tallamedia.com/ then click on the Red Link Bar for the 45th Anniversary Book then scroll down to the Link Bar for Investors. :happy feet:

It's a scam............. :hysterical:

Just messen with ya Tes...All the best of luck with it bud. :salute:

Depends on 1: What investments you're talking about and 2: Timing. I for one am very diversified and advise anyone the same. Right now in my opinion, to make any money in U.S. stocks is not on the short and questionable on the long. Big growth areas over the next 2-5 years and possibly on the long would be Asia/China and So. America/Brazil. Gold also on the long to rise in value to absorb inflation which is "evident" to hit us in the next couple of years for a several year period. My average over the past 2 years of portfolio growth over 100%. Not bragging, just in the right market at the right time and lot's of luck.

Steve

I'm run'n about -30%. I got hit hard. And no I will never invest in wall street or any 401k plan again as long as I live. I'll just save my money like a good little squirl.

Same here...I'm the squirl that takes care of his own nuts. :hysterical:

A TSX indexed Mutual Fund would have seen a 28% return on money invested at the beginning of 2009 so the return your asking about is not impossible.

As ever diversification (at the right level, too much diversification can hold you back just as much as too little) is key. An individual stock promising large returns will carry with it an intrinsic risk. A Mutual Fund that has traditionally seen large returns in good times will also carry with it the risk of equally large losses in a down market.

Alway make sure you invest in a way that fits within your risk tolerance....that tolerance will be guided by several factors, your time horizon for the investment, the prurpose of the investment, your stage of the life cycle & your acceptance of the potential loss of the funds invested (the dollars involved vs. your total net worth will have an impact on this area).

Timing the market is a very difficult thing to do for professional fund managers & near impossible for most people (this has nothing to do with ability, more so with time available to research & monitor) so Mutual Funds should be considered above individual stocks as they have a built in diversity & are professionally managed - your time horizon & risk tolerance are still important but there are so many mutual funds out there that one should exist that is suitable for your preferences. Individual stocks have their place too but here "buy what you know" is something you should take seriously - again this comes down to time to conduct research & monitor results...something anyone is more likely to do if they have an interest in what they've bought (i.e. anyone who bought Ford shares midway throigh last year will have done rather well for themselves. I use this as a prime example as most of us on here automatically know roughly what happened with Ford's share price last year & where it stands now).

I can say from experience that those people who pulled money out of their mutual funds & placed what was left into GIC's will never see their losses recouped.

It is human nature to get in on something while the going is good & pull out after things go wrong - it may seem counter intuitive but you should try to do the opposite (buy low, sell high...not the other way around).

I'll shut up now before I go into too much detail but hopefully that helps a little.

A TSX indexed Mutual Fund would have seen a 28% return on money invested at the beginning of 2009 so the return your asking about is not impossible.

Always at least consider the 3&5 yr. ave.???????????? :hysterical:

Always at least consider the 3&5 yr. ave.???????????? :hysterical:

Very true & definitely a valid point - hence consider your time horizon - Mutual Funds should be viewed as a long term (5yrs+) investment and are not suitable for everyone.

The figure was stated merely to illustrate that a possibility of that kind of return does exist, the rest of my post was used to add balance to that statement.

To put a numeric balance in place I'll add that since 1950 the average TSX indexed MF return has been in the region of 8% (I don't have my Andex chart handy but I know that I'm pretty close) whereas the typical return on a 5yr GIC for the same period has only been around 4.5%. If I had my chart to hand I could put that into actual $ figures but I do know that the MF grew almost $20,000 more than the GIC (based on a $100 investment with compounded returns).

Don't ask why a 59 year average sticks in my head when a 5yr average does not - it's Friday & it's late (that's my excuse & I'm sticking with it...lol) :D

Very true & definitely a valid point - hence consider your time horizon - Mutual Funds should be viewed as a long term (5yrs+) investment and are not suitable for everyone.

The figure was stated merely to illustrate that a possibility of that kind of return does exist, the rest of my post was used to add balance to that statement.

To put a numeric balance in place I'll add that since 1950 the average TSX indexed MF return has been in the region of 8% (I don't have my Andex chart handy but I know that I'm pretty close) whereas the typical return on a 5yr GIC for the same period has only been around 4.5%. If I had my chart to hand I could put that into actual $ figures but I do know that the MF grew almost $20,000 more than the GIC (based on a $100 investment with compounded returns).

Don't ask why a 59 year average sticks in my head when a 5yr average does not - it's Friday & it's late (that's my excuse & I'm sticking with it...lol) :D

There is a simple matter of loosing a large amount of initial investment in a big down

market as we have just seen that can create a "LOSS" over a number of years even if

the investment recovers and shows a plus return over a few years...............

Many people overlook this............

There is a simple matter of loosing a large amount of initial investment in a big down

market as we have just seen that can create a "LOSS" over a number of years even if

the investment recovers and shows a plus return over a few years...............

Many people overlook this............

A paper loss is one thing, cashing out at a low point is only ever going to result in a real loss - hence investments should always be viewed as a long term commitment by the average person.

The figures I mentioned take into account the many occasions where large drops have occured - they assume that an astute investor stays in the game & rides it out & onto better times. Historically speaking there have been more bull market (growth) years than bear market (losses) years proving (at least on a historical basis - I add that as past performance can never be taken as a guarantee of future performance) the basis of leaving things alone & sticking to the long term plan.

Investing amounts on a regualr basis helps diminish the effects of the ebbs & flows of the market by creating a dollar cost averaging effect.

I hadn't intended to go into this much depth on the topic (I feel like I'm at work still....lol) but I'm enjoying the back & forth of this conversation - you're raising some valid points DDT & hopefully I've been able to address them. :)

A paper loss is one thing, cashing out at a low point is only ever going to result in a real loss - hence investments should always be viewed as a long term commitment by the average person.

The figures I mentioned take into account the many occasions where large drops have occured - they assume that an astute investor stays in the game & rides it out & onto better times. Historically speaking there have been more bull market (growth) years than bear market (losses) years proving (at least on a historical basis - I add that as past performance can never be taken as a guarantee of future performance) the basis of leaving things alone & sticking to the long term plan.

Investing amounts on a regualr basis helps diminish the effects of the ebbs & flows of the market by creating a dollar cost averaging effect.

I hadn't intended to go into this much depth on the topic (I feel like I'm at work still....lol) but I'm enjoying the back & forth of this conversation - you're raising some valid points DDT & hopefully I've been able to address them. :)

I understand what you are saying although my Investment A$$ is

still hurting from the 2000 "TECH STOCK .COM BUBBLE" when

the NASDAC Index was trading at over 5000, Crashed to 1400

and has not recovered for 10 years and counting...........

I also don't believe I will live to see it .............

How many people have expressed interest in spending $50 on this book?

Do you have any investors signed up yet?

Where do you plan on selling the book? Any commitments from vendors to carry the book?

Good luck.

Ken

I understand what you are saying although my Investment A$$ is

still hurting from the 2000 "TECH STOCK .COM BUBBLE" when

the NASDAC Index was trading at over 5000, Crashed to 1400

and has not recovered for 10 years and counting...........

I also don't believe I will live to see it .............

Ahh, I see - now I understand where you're coming from. Sadly far too many people fell into the trap of over investing in a single industry type - diversification should be done across companies, industries & countries wherever possible. If you're still down from that incident it might be worthwhile talking to your advisor about moving some $'s into different types of funds that may help you recover your losses. Staying invested for the long haul is one thing but you may be flogging a dead horse if you expect a full recovery to happen in that area - the bubble burst & the market found it's true value rather than the inflated figures that we saw.

I sincerely hope you are able to recover your losses & certainly hope it's within your lifetime.

Steve

Thanks for the avise.......

I fired my adviser at the time as he was one of the experts

that did not believe the NASDAQ was overvalued at the time

and advised me to ride it out............

It was a NASDAQ Index Fund.........

So what you are saying is no way to Diversify in NASDAQ???????

Yes, ride out my a$$. When the tech. stocks had their big 1st decline in Mar. 2000 my account rep. at Dean Whitter told me to hold and ride it out. Well I didn't and by the time I sold my techs. my portfolio had declined over 15%. If I had listened to him and rode it out for the past 10 years, I still would not have made the losses back. I don't rely on "any" account advisors advice. Sure I read the information that they write up on the markets, but make my own decisions based on my own gut feeling after my own research.

Steve

Az.

By buying into an index fund you automatically have diversification across companies & some industry sectors but the Nasdaq is primarily tech, telecomms, biotech & some retail so is not covering all that many industry sectors & has no diversification across countries. In all likelihood timing was probably your worst enemy with under diversification being a close second - your adviser should have known better so you did right to change him.

Steve in Az. hit the nail on the head by saying that he'll take note of the advise given but ultimately relies on his own gut feelings.

As before I hope you can make a full financial recovery in the near future.

Archived