TEAM SHELBY FORUM

LED Reverse Lights for your 2010 GT500

jared@lethal

A customer of ours recently asked me if we had a LED replacement bulb for the 2010 Mustang reverse lights. I was initially under the impression that the entire 2010 tail light assemblies used LED's. However after looking into it a little further it turns out that the 2010 still uses conventional bulbs for the reverse lights. 4 of them total to be exact. I found the proper bulb and went to town on our 2010 GT500. The installation is very simple. It can be done within 10 minutes. The results are even better than what we saw on the earlier models as the new LED look matches the rest of the 2010 tail light assembly. Best of all it seems that since there's already LED bulbs used on the 2010 there's already a resistor installed so the bulbs will not glow at all like previous models without resistors. Simply install the new bulbs and be done.

Below is a step by step installation I did this afternoon. I'll take a few more pics of the car once it gets dark but in person the new bulbs look awesome.

You can purchase these bulbs directly from our website through the link below. You need (2) packs which is (4) bulbs total.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2010-shelby-gt500-lighting-led-replacement-bulbs-c-5711_6057_6062/recon-2010-mustang-white-led-reverse-lights-set-of-2-p-30729

a5269c050d37246114f405f67e51c8a9.image.530x455.jpg

Please feel free to give us a call if you have any other questions.

Open the trunk of your vehicle and remove the plastic push pins that hold plastic trunk liner to the sheet metal.

image008.jpg

image007.jpg

Unclip the connector to the light assembly. This will allow you to move the plastic trunk liner away from the wall and give you more space to work with.

image009.jpg

Using an 11mm wrench remove the (3) 11mm nuts from the studs that hold the light assembly to the vehicle.

LethalPics031.jpg

image010.jpg

Pull the light assembly away from the vehicle. You'll see (2) white connectors on each side of the vehicle. Those are the connectors that for reverse bulbs. Turn the connector counter clockwise and remove it from the housing.

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

Pull the conventional bulb out of the socket.

image014.jpg

Install the LED bulb in the same fashion that you removed the stock bulb in.

LethalPics030.jpg

Do this for the (2) white connectors on the drivers side and the (2) white connectors on the passenger side. Now that all of the LED's are installed in place of the stock bulb you're going to want to test them before reinstalling the light housing assembly back to the vehicle. Because LED's are polarity sensitive they must be installed the correct way in order for them to work.

With the key in the ignition turn the key to the on position but do not start the vehicle. Push in the clutch and put the car in reverse. Get out of the vehicle and go to the back of the car to see that all bulbs are working. If one bulb isn't lightning up remove it from the connector, rotate it and then put it back into the connector. The bulb should then light up. After checking that the (4) LED reverse bulbs are lit you can now start reinstalling the light assemblies back onto the vehicle in the same fashion you removed them.

LED (left) vs. Stock (right)

image003.jpg

image006.jpg

Stock

image004.jpg

LED

image005.jpg

You're done!

Just ordered two sets. How is the actual light output at night when you are in reverse? Can you still see the surroundings as well?

They're pretty bright but I haven't been able to see them at night yet. Give me another hour and I should have some night shots and give feedback about visibility.

Jared

Well it's dark out and the lights look awesome. It's still real hard to capture the actual color of them with a camera. For some reason the camera makes them look blue when they are actually white. The also shine pretty good behind the car so there's no loss in visibility.

Here's a few shots.

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2 sets ordered here too. These look great!

DaFreak

Got mine in last night and they do look sweet! Sorry no pics.

Jared,

Were the install pics you took for a 2010?

My install was slightly different as there are no push pins on the bottom part of the plastic liner. They were more like barbed plugs/caps. I found that I did not need to remove them or the connector to the light assembly, so the install was even easier! One piece of advice for those who do this. Place a microfiber towel (or 2) under the tail light assembly when you pull it off to get to the bulbs. You can rest the assembly on the towel while you replace the bulbs and save the bumper from any scratches.

I now want to replace all my incandescent bulbs with LEDs! Starting with the trunk light, that sucker gets hot!

Thanks again Jared and Lethal team for putting this out there.

DaFreak

I'd really like to find some kind of LED bulb for our fog lights. They'd look so much better for those of us with HID headlights.

bpmurr,

One of the members here did an HID Fog light install, can't remember who and I searched for the thread to link to it but for some reason (operator error I'm sure) I couldn't find it.

Have a good evening.

Regards,

Jim

I now want to replace all my incandescent bulbs with LEDs! Starting with the trunk light, that sucker gets hot!

I too would like to replace all my incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Maybe Jared and the people at Lethal can put together a package of LED's that replace the reverse, license plate, trunk, map, and dome lights with LED's...Obviously which bulbs are included in the package could be discussed but I'm sure there are people here who would be interested in buying a "Complete Incandescent-to-LED Bulb Replacement Kit for the 2010 Shelby GT500"

Thoughts?

bpmurr,

One of the members here did an HID Fog light install, can't remember who and I searched for the thread to link to it but for some reason (operator error I'm sure) I couldn't find it.

Have a good evening.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I was thinking about that as well. I'm trying to find a LED solution though. I'm not a fan of aftermarket HID solutions.

I second this motion!

I too would like to replace all my incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Maybe Jared and the people at Lethal can put together a package of LED's that replace the reverse, license plate, trunk, map, and dome lights with LED's...Obviously which bulbs are included in the package could be discussed but I'm sure there are people here who would be interested in buying a "Complete Incandescent-to-LED Bulb Replacement Kit for the 2010 Shelby GT500"

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I'm down!

DaFreak

Within the next few days, I will have converted the following from stock to LED:

Dome

Trunk

License plate

Reverse

That leaves only the four side marker lights (two on each side). They are type 194, which is very common, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to access them. I'll post pictures in a separate thread once all are done (don't want to hijack this one too much).

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick thanks to Lethal for the Led's, Installed them tonight and they look great. Big improvement.

Thanks again,

29Bill

Thanks Bill. Glad you like them. I've actually noticed after a while that they do in fact have a very dim glow to them when the car is shut off. It's so subtle that I never noticed it before even when I looked specifically to see if they glowed or not. None the less the new 2010+ style rear lens makes it much less noticeable then the 05-09 cars. If you happen to notice this please be aware that it will not negatively effect your car in any way. You will not drain your battery or short anything out.

Let me know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Thanks, Jared

• 1 month later...

I finally installed my LED lights last week. I noticed that they do draw power even when the car is off. Two nights ago I was looking at the taillight and you could see a faint glow. Keep in mind I had to get up close to see that.

I have converted my backups, license plate lights, trunk light, and interior map lights to LEDs. The map lights are from Lethal, and I have been very happy with them. They give off MINIMAL glow with the car off, but it is really difficult to notice unless it is REALLY dark and you are looking for it. Plus, I can't find an LED for this application that gives off no light at all. Not so for the others, however. The rest are from Autolumination, and they give off ZERO glow with the car off. This includes the backup lights. Sorry, haven't taken good pictures yet, but here is the item (921 Matrix--9 LED) from their website:

921Matrix9LED.jpg

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/921_matrix_w_wm.jpg

Once I get the time, I will post real pictures of my car with the new lights as well as details for the license plate and trunk lights.

I look forward to your results!

Archived