TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP Suspension Question

Have owned my 2008 SGT coupe about a month now, and LOVE the car. At times, though the ride is a little firmer than I would like for daily driving, especially with the Mrs in the car. I noticed that FRPP is now selling their handling pack with 1 in. lowering springs standard instead of the 1-1/2 in lowering springs that my car has. I was thinking of maybe installing a set of the slightly taller springs. Anyone done this or driven a Mustang with the 1 in springs to compare? Would the difference even be noticeable? I've been told that the SGT convertibles were outfitted with stock GT springs - Don't know if that's true or not.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I think the struts / shocks will make a bigger difference in ride. On my Mustang GT, I have Tokico D Specs (adjustable and set soft) with Steeda Ultralite springs and the ride is the same as a stock Mustang GT and the handling is similar to my Shelby GT-H. I agree, the ride on the Shelby GT can be a bit rough at times that is why I did not put the FRPP handling pack on my Mustang.

I'd wait a bit before I started changing out suspension parts. At least for us, after you have the car for awhile it seems like you do not notice the stiff ride anymore. I was a little worried before we took ours across the country, but we found it to be a comfortable long distance cruiser. And of course, they rule on the autocross course with the stock suspension. I was a finalist at the Mustang Week autocross the first time I ever tried it!

Have owned my 2008 SGT coupe about a month now, and LOVE the car. At times, though the ride is a little firmer than I would like for daily driving, especially with the Mrs in the car. I noticed that FRPP is now selling their handling pack with 1 in. lowering springs standard instead of the 1-1/2 in lowering springs that my car has. I was thinking of maybe installing a set of the slightly taller springs. Anyone done this or driven a Mustang with the 1 in springs to compare? Would the difference even be noticeable? I've been told that the SGT convertibles were outfitted with stock GT springs - Don't know if that's true or not.

I'll agree that your feeling with regard to car ride characteristics will change over time, particularly in the first couple of months. I was kind of apprehensive when I planned to drive my new GT/CS to Texas and return. It seemed a good deal harsher than the V6 I'd been messing with for a couple years. After the first 2,500 miles, I found my fears were not justified: on stock springs, shocks, wheels, and tires, it was just fine, after all.

I had Steeda Sport springs and Tokico D-Specs on my V6 convertible. The springs were 1" drop in front, 1.2" in the rear. With the shocks adjusted soft, the ride was just a bit more "sporting" than standard. The item that made most difference was tire aspect ratio. Running GT 17x8 wheels and the GT stock 235-55 Pirellis, it was quite comfortable and confidence-inspiring. With 18x8.5 "Fanblades" and Bridgestone RE-01R 245-45 (autocrossy) tires, it was rough, but very sticky. With 19x9/10 Saleen PJ wheels and Michelin PS2 275-35 tires, it was pretty rough but tolerable over surface streets, but a great highway cruiser.

The PJ/Michelin combo is now on the GT/CS convertible, stock suspension; not rough, sticky, superb highway performance.

I now have GT500 wheels, 285-40 all around on the GT/CS coupe,stock suspension, and it's just a bit thumpy on expansion joints and potholes, but a marvelous highway setup.

I didn't change the stock suspension in either car, having pretty much abandoned regular autocross participation, which is the only reason I can think of to drive a lowered, re-shocked mod.

Well, I did put the H&R rear swaybar on the coupe. Improves turn-in without changing the ride.

To summarize: tires are a big influence on ride characteristics, and the easiest thing to change to move from comfy daily-driver to sharp-handling sporty-car and back.

Make sure your tire inflation pressures are dead on. A few extra PSI will definately "harden" the ride of any vehicle. -Tom

• 1 year later...

I have an 2007 SGT the ride in my opinion is great the way it is for the road. I was told there is an adjustment that can be done to make the handling even better on the track.

Anyone have info on this. This is an adjustment to the SGT stock suspension.

post-33418-0-34193800-1312663680_thumb.jpg

post-33418-0-34193800-1312663680_thumb.jpg

Best thing to do is take a ride in 2 or 3 Mustangs that have different suspension setups to see what you like the best. Upgrading to other FRPP parts is not worth the cost. A couple people here mentioned they had Tokico's with Steeda springs and that is the setup to stay away from and many a Mustanger who has used this will tell you the same

Archived