TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gotta admit guys..

ChrisSD

Seems the new 2011 GT is better than an 07 - 10 GT500 at far less cost. Close ratio trans with only a single overdrive gear, 412 N/A HP in a lighter package which makes up for the HP difference, etc. You can even get the same brakes as an option. Building the 5.0 for boost will make a much more powerful engine than the 5.4L. The new GT has seriously dilluded the value of the GT500. The 2011 better get a TVS or something from the factory to compete with the GT, the aluminum block won't be enough. A GT with a CAI/Tune will probably spank a stock 2010 GT500.

Just about always happens that way with things - whether it be computers, cell phones or cars. There's always going to be something "better".

I don't really care about the "value" of my car...as I'm keeping it for as long as I can.

Just be happy with what you got...and enjoy it...don't let the "envy" game get the best of you. Just my opinion.

I would admire the enthusiasm for the 2011 but my guess is it will lag behind the GT500 in many areas. 0-60, 1/4 mile and more. But it will be a major step up from the current GT. The Shelby will get a twin turbo 5.0 for 2012 is my guess. Probably making around 540 HP just like the current engine but will improve EPA which is what it is all about now. And again it will be a huge step up from the GT just as it is now. And as far as deprication goes, I don't see any change in the future for the GT500. It will track the current depreciation models very close. The new 2011 GT will lose value faster as do all GT's because of the mass production and rental car fleets.

Seems the new 2011 GT is better than an 07 - 10 GT500 at far less cost. Close ratio trans with only a single overdrive gear, 412 N/A HP in a lighter package which makes up for the HP difference, etc. You can even get the same brakes as an option. Building the 5.0 for boost will make a much more powerful engine than the 5.4L. The new GT has seriously dilluded the value of the GT500. The 2011 better get a TVS or something from the factory to compete with the GT, the aluminum block won't be enough. A GT with a CAI/Tune will probably spank a stock 2010 GT500.

Confused by this statement :headscratch: "better than 07-10 GT500" the 2010 is a very different car from the 07-09. How do you lump these years together?

Sure it is...........we can add a CAI, tune and pulley and we have 540-560 Rwhp...........yeah, real close. Like it's been said above, it's not 1000+ lbs lighter. Now swap the blower and watch out. The GT at 11:1 compression, do you really think you can add much more than 5-6 lbs and not worry?? Even that will be on the edge.

My only thought is this:

I can only hope for the sake of Ford, Shelby, and the auto industry, not to leave out us drivers, that every year model brings an improvement over the past year...or model to model if you prefer. For me, its not about what comes out that makes my car obsolete. I can always just go out and buy the new car if I felt that way about it. Or wife for that matter.... :hysterical: (did I just write that, I meant to leave that as a thought...but you can clearly understand the analogy, right?)

Are the GT500s of today handling, and have more power over the old ones? The Mustang GT at 412HP....I mean, think back to 1987, my brother's 5.0 LX Mustang coupe had 220HP stock....these are good days my friends...soak them up! :shift:

My only thought is this:

I can only hope for the sake of Ford, Shelby, and the auto industry, not to leave out us drivers, that every year model brings an improvement over the past year...or model to model if you prefer. For me, its not about what comes out that makes my car obsolete. I can always just go out and buy the new car if I felt that way about it. Or wife for that matter.... :hysterical: (did I just write that, I meant to leave that as a thought...but you can clearly understand the analogy, right?)

Are the GT500s of today handling, and have more power over the old ones? The Mustang GT at 412HP....I mean, think back to 1987, my brother's 5.0 LX Mustang coupe had 220HP stock....these are good days my friends...soak them up! :shift:

225 hp in 1987 actually but who's counting :hysterical: :happy feet:

Just about always happens that way with things - whether it be computers, cell phones or cars. There's always going to be something "better".

I don't really care about the "value" of my car...as I'm keeping it for as long as I can.

Just be happy with what you got...and enjoy it...don't let the "envy" game get the best of you. Just my opinion.

well said, my thoughts exactly....

Sure it is...........we can add a CAI, tune and pulley and we have 540-560 Rwhp...........yeah, real close. Like it's been said above, it's not 1000+ lbs lighter. Now swap the blower and watch out. The GT at 11:1 compression, do you really think you can add much more than 5-6 lbs and not worry?? Even that will be on the edge.

+1

225 hp in 1987 actually but who's counting :hysterical: :happy feet:

And we were STOKED to have 225 H.P. back then. Now in 2011 we would get smoked by a 300+ V6 of all things.

Who knew? :shrug:

Friends, let's wait for the new 5.0 to debut in the REAL world before coming to judgment on the hard performance numbers. The Blue Oval has been on a very successful tear and few of us would dispute that they've been firing on all cylinders. Having said that, does it make sense they would damage their Halo vehicle (GT500) or Shelby relationship with a mass produced GT package that is equal to, or better? Just sayin.

You are not even close on your conclusions about how the 2011 GT will compare performance wise to a GT500

Not even close

First off, the 5.0 is not designed for boost like the fully forged hand built 5.4. I agree it will take the normal 5 pounds or so from say Roush or Saleen twin screw but thats about it.

The tranny is not as stout either, it will not be the TR6060 with a dual disc clutch.

I do think the new 2011 GT will be awsome but more for the open track road racer guy. In a straight line, it is all GT500.

Personally I think your post is idiotic and you were only looking to get a rise out of people. You accomplished that I guess but would you like to make a bet on performance numbers on the 2011 GT vs either a 2010 GT500 or 2011 GT500?

The 2011 will come just about 100 pounds lighter than the 2010 and have 373s as an option, it will not even be close

Have fun in your run of the mil 2011 GT and while you may spend $$$$ modding it to compete with a GT500 you could have just bought a GT500 to begin with

Confused by this statement :headscratch: "better than 07-10 GT500" the 2010 is a very different car from the 07-09. How do you lump these years together?

Not really, just a new body. The new drivetrain comes in 2011.

07-10 cars all perform about the same, if you believe otherwise, then you fell for the hype Ford played it in order to sell 2010 model cars.

You are not even close on your conclusions about how the 2011 GT will compare performance wise to a GT500

Not even close

First off, the 5.0 is not designed for boost like the fully forged hand built 5.4. I agree it will take the normal 5 pounds or so from say Roush or Saleen twin screw but thats about it.

The tranny is not as stout either, it will not be the TR6060 with a dual disc clutch.

I do think the new 2011 GT will be awsome but more for the open track road racer guy. In a straight line, it is all GT500.

Personally I think your post is idiotic and you were only looking to get a rise out of people. You accomplished that I guess but would you like to make a bet on performance numbers on the 2011 GT vs either a 2010 GT500 or 2011 GT500?

The 2011 will come just about 100 pounds lighter than the 2010 and have 373s as an option, it will not even be close

Have fun in your run of the mil 2011 GT and while you may spend $$$$ modding it to compete with a GT500 you could have just bought a GT500 to begin with

Have to agree with Chuck here.........how many people who bought a GT500 even considered a GT?.................I certainly didn't, and have to assume othere GT500 owners feel the same. We think about getting our GT500 and modding it ----not bringing a GT up to its level.. It's about the whole package too........not just a newer or more advanced thing here or there. When I saw this post I was thinking "are you kidding me..?" I'm very happy the 5.0 is back, and love that fact that Ford is pushing techology -- but these cars are 2 totally different beasts.

I would take any year GT500 over any GT irregardless of how fast one is over the other.

I almost wasn't going to reply, since the poster is clearly just trying to get people fired up, but I had to.

Having owned two GT's and now GT500, I don't care if the GT is a close performer. I say great for all the future 5.0 owners and I hope that they all have a blast with their purchases. The are going to be GREAT cars!

However, there is something extra fun having a special car of any breed.

But it depends on use. My GT500 is a weekend toy. If I was in need of a daily driver Stang, the new 5.0GT can't be beat for fun, I am sure.

As a weekend warrior,and similar money as a 2011 GT, one could buy a pristing 1994 Cobra (probably not an R as the 1994's are pricey), 1995 Cobra R, mid 90's Saleen, or even save money and search out a nice 2003-4 Cobra or Mach 1. Or, as I said above, a 07-09 GT500.

The 2011 GT's are great cars, and I am certain a blast to drive, but for the low milage weekend type car, I would still favor a special edition of the breed.

Definitely comparing apples and oranges (GT500 vs. standard GT), that said, a 400 HP car is solid for a daily driver. Sounds like Ford is seeking to compete against the Camaro.

And we were STOKED to have 225 H.P. back then. Now in 2011 we will get smoked by a 300+ V6 of all things. Who knew?

And I personally believe that the published (remember, it has not been offically declared by FoMoCo yet) H.P. rating of the 2011 5.0 is quite a bit less than reality. Does it make sense to anyone that FoMoCo would take a backseat to GM and Chrysler when they have the opportunity to slam the H.P. door on them again? Wouldn't you think that they would at least equal the H.P. of the Camaro SS/RS and Challenger SRT8?

Hell, they squeaked out one more H.P. on the V6 to beat GM's V6 by one H.P.!

Sorry, but I don't just buy the "412" H.P. published rating for one minute. Does everyone remember the leaked/published H.P. rating of the 2007 GT500? At first it was 400, then 425, then 450, but we all know now how bogus those numbers were in the end. People were doing backflips when the true H.P. rating of 500 H.P. was declaired.

Just my opinion of course.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2011_Mustang_GT_Specs.pdf

You could be right, it still says Estimated.

Not even close

Hey genius, try losing your tone. I own a 2010 GT500. I am not here to get a rise out of you.

I really enjoy my 2010 GT500. However, I probably should have waited for a 2011 GT. Given my lifestyle and income the GT would have been a more practical choice. Regardless it's nice to see Ford continue to improve the product.

I really enjoy my 2010 GT500. However, I probably should have waited for a 2011 GT. Given my lifestyle and income the GT would have been a more practical choice. Regardless it's nice to see Ford continue to improve the product.

You can say that every year. If you waited for the next best thing you would end up with nothing--waiting forever...

It's easier to buy into the start of a transitional year then upgrade with the major changes. For example, I think the '10 is a good year because the next major change will probably be '12 or '13. Everybody is all excited about the changes next year? I'm looking forward to changes in '12 '13. I think they will be more significant for GT500's.

Chrissd your avatar is not popping up or something changed with your siggy during the conversion. I initially thought your were someone from the gt forums trying to stir the pot with the '10 500 owners threads.

Hey genius, try losing your tone. I own a 2010 GT500. I am not here to get a rise out of you.

Ya I figured that after I made the post but just didnt feel like going back to edit

Sorry!

But I guess others though you too were also just trying to stir the pot

carry on

I would not worry about the 2011 GT or GT500, your 2010 GT500 is awsome and will be for quite some time.

Archived