TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clarification needed please.

UK PONY

Hi,

I'm new to the board & have a question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

I'm seriously looking at a CS6 Turn 2 conversion for my '05 convertible - I see that by ordering the kit I automatically receive a dash plaque (a nice touch no doubt).

The point I'm confused on is this;

If I have the kit installed by an autorised mod shop (I'm looking at either Sean Hyland or, if possible, SAI themselves) does the car receive a CSM or at least become eligible for the registry?

I realise that I'm not the first to ask this question, I've been looking around & have seen different answers & am getting a little confused.

Your help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Steve

i asked this question myself a while back. The way I understand is that even though it does get a dash plaque it does not go into any registery or get a CSM. The only way to get a CSM is to either buy a Shelby GT, GT-h, GT500, or have your's upgraded to the new SR or supercharged package.

i asked this question myself a while back. The way I understand is that even though it does get a dash plaque it does not go into any registery or get a CSM. The only way to get a CSM is to either buy a Shelby GT, GT-h, GT500, or have your's upgraded to the new SR or supercharged package.

Or a Terlingua... :happy feet: So, if you have a V6, which it sounds like you do, and you want a CSM, then you need to go the Terlingua conversion route...

Leann

I have to say that I'd be disappointed if this was the case - the guy at Sean Hyland told me that if an official mod shop did the conversion then it would be eleigible for the registry & get a CSM.

If this is not the case then what advantage is there to getting a mod shop to do the work?

I have to say that I'd be disappointed if this was the case - the guy at Sean Hyland told me that if an official mod shop did the conversion then it would be eleigible for the registry & get a CSM.

If this is not the case then what advantage is there to getting a mod shop to do the work?

Perhaps SHM did not understand your request and thought that you were talking about a Terlingua conversion, which is what I would do in this case. CS6 and CS8 components are designed for those budget minded Mustang owners who want the appearance and performance of a Shelby without a concern about having the car registered. Although I am not completely certain of this, I believe that the dash plaque that you get with either CS package only states that the car is equipped with authentic Shelby parts and equipment.

Sorry for your disappointment, but as stated by others, and if you can swing it, go for the Terlingua package. It is and will be a rare Shelby going forward, your car goes in the registry, and you really can't beat the performace that the package delivers.

http://shelbyamerican.com/catalog/#/10

I like the Terlingua package for the power & small details that it has - I'm having issues trying to picture it on my vehicle (there seem to be no pictures of a blue Terlingua Mustang).

The CS6 package looks amazing in blue & I know it would look great on my car. I guess I'm struggling to understand why the car would get a CSM for becoming a Terlingue & not if SAI/SHM did the work to change her to a CS6.

I'll be checking into the costs of the Terlingue package & will see if there are any pics of one in blue to help me visualise how it would look on my vert.

I like the Terlingua package for the power & small details that it has - I'm having issues trying to picture it on my vehicle (there seem to be no pictures of a blue Terlingua Mustang).

The CS6 package looks amazing in blue & I know it would look great on my car. I guess I'm struggling to understand why the car would get a CSM for becoming a Terlingue & not if SAI/SHM did the work to change her to a CS6.

I'll be checking into the costs of the Terlingue package & will see if there are any pics of one in blue to help me visualise how it would look on my vert.

Scour the forums here. We have a member that has a gorgeous blue Terlingua, but I can't for the life of me remember his name right now. His car is blue and stunning!

Edit: Found him!!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40665-2009-blue-terlingua/page__view__findpost__p__656999

^I agree Enis. It's my favorite Terlingua out there. Vista Blue with the black hood (plus all the other upgrades) looks remarkable to me.

The CS6 package was a great intro package back in the day. But if I had a V6 now, I wouldn't think twice. It'd have bunny ears on it in no time. :shift:

Ken

^I agree Enis. It's my favorite Terlingua out there. Vista Blue with the black hood (plus all the other upgrades) looks remarkable to me.

The CS6 package was a great intro package back in the day. But if I had a V6 now, I wouldn't think twice. It'd have bunny ears on it in no time. :shift:

Ken

:yup::salute:

Thanks for the link - that helps quite a bit.

I'd be more interested if the hood could remain body colour & the numerous decals could be reduced - the question has been fired back to Shelby along with a price comparison request.

Have any convertibles gained the bunny ears yet? Is there anyone on here that would be able & willing to photoshop the package onto an image of my car?

Although I am not completely certain of this, I believe that the dash plaque that you get with either CS package only states that the car is equipped with authentic Shelby parts and equipment.

http://shelbyamerican.com/catalog/#/10

This is true...the plaque only states the car was built using Shelby parts...

Thanks for the link - that helps quite a bit.

I'd be more interested if the hood could remain body colour & the numerous decals could be reduced - the question has been fired back to Shelby along with a price comparison request.

Have any convertibles gained the bunny ears yet? Is there anyone on here that would be able & willing to photoshop the package onto an image of my car?

Sorry I didn't catch this before, but Shelby will not do a Terlingua conversion on a convertible. Several members have asked about this in the past. The reason given is that the Terlingua is really meant as a track car for racing and most organized racing organizations such as the SCCA do not let convertibles compete. Sorry, I should have caught that you had a convertible before I posted my first comment.

In addition, SAI will not let the hood stay body color, or reduce the decals etc. The Terlingua package is what it is.

With a convertible, your only real option is the CS6. But, as stated, you will not get a CSM. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

Leann

Sorry I didn't catch this before, but Shelby will not do a Terlingua conversion on a convertible. Several members have asked about this in the past. The reason given is that the Terlingua is really meant as a track car for racing and most organized racing organizations such as the SCCA do not let convertibles compete. Sorry, I should have caught that you had a convertible before I posted my first comment.

In addition, SAI will not let the hood stay body color, or reduce the decals etc. The Terlingua package is what it is.

With a convertible, your only real option is the CS6. But, as stated, you will not get a CSM. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

Leann

I wonder if the guy at SAI noticed that I stated my vehicle is a vert as well - he actually suggested the Terlingua package before I asked about it.

I have to say that I much prefer the cleaner look of the CS6 (the decals on the Terlingua are not to my taste (no offense intended to you or to anyone else who owns one, we all like different things)). So a question for you all - is the CS6 accepted as a "real" Shelby?

I'm not worried about resale values as my baby will be with me forever but I'd hate to spend all this money & have her regarded as "just a kit".

Well, I'm not touching this one...is a CS6 a real Shelby? Some say it is, some say it isn't. But, it says Shelby on it...you need to do what you like with the car. I have no idea if a CS6 kit will add value etc. If you are really going to keep her forever, do what is to your liking and the heck with whatever people say. Take a look through the CS threads as I'm sure you will find people's thoughts on the subject.

The guy at SAI may not have registered the fact that you have a vert. I didn't at first. But, if you research the Terlingua threads, several have gone down that road and received the same response; no vert Terlinguas.

Good luck with your project.

Leann

I wonder if the guy at SAI noticed that I stated my vehicle is a vert as well - he actually suggested the Terlingua package before I asked about it.

I have to say that I much prefer the cleaner look of the CS6 (the decals on the Terlingua are not to my taste (no offense intended to you or to anyone else who owns one, we all like different things)). So a question for you all - is the CS6 accepted as a "real" Shelby?

I'm not worried about resale values as my baby will be with me forever but I'd hate to spend all this money & have her regarded as "just a kit".

It's a package blessed by the man himself. I'd say it qualifies as real as anything else. CSM is only important to those that have them IMO. GT500 owners don't seem too worried about their missing serial numbers. The only difference is that you're putting the parts on yourself and have a bit of creative freedom from the get go, instead of having to buy one and modify the hell out of it to your liking (like me).

Go for it. It's definitely unique, looks awesome, and suits your taste. Good luck

Ken

Hey UK Pony,

I bought a CS8 package for my GT a few years ago and I have to say the CSM number really doesn't seem to matter for value and Shelby status. What I was told by several employees at Shelby is that the CS6/CS8 kit does not have a a CSM number, and never will, for two reasons: A. The kit was intended to be unlimited as far as production until the production run ends (2010) B. The cars would be too hard to track since anyone can buy a full kit and have one built.

Is it a real Shelby? Well in all honesty it's what you want it to be. Amy B. says it's a real Shelby, Carroll Shelby himself has one in his personal collection at the museum at SAI in Vegas... and we are typing in the CS section of the Shelby forum so IMO it's as real a Shelby as any other. You pay a big premium for the package, and you get a plaque that says you have a CS6 or CS8 conversion kit installed that you can't get if you buy all the parts individually, so that gives it even more credibility.

I can also tell you from owning one that this car also performs like a Shelby should and will outrun almost any street car in its price range at the track. As far as the official Shelby Autos registry, I was told by the registry manager to go to the registry section of the website and enter my VIN under the Shelby CS6/8 category, which they have for 2005 to 2009 next to all the other Shelby models. Shelby Autos clearly stated that they won't give CS6/8 owners certificates, for reasons including that they can't state the car is #XX of XX since the production run is unlimited until they stop making the kit. In any event, your car is still eligible for the registry, and you will be surprised at how high these cars get appraised at ^_^

All in all, if you care about having a limited production car with a CSM then don't get a CS6 because that will haunt you for the life of the car. But if that doesn't matter then get one done by SAI or an official mod shop hassle free and enjoy a very rare car that gets a ton of attention (I have 1 of 4 registered CS6/8 cars in Canada). Just make sure you are happy with your decision, because in the end that's what really matters :D

If you have any questions about the process and registry stuff send me a PM and I can explain to you exactly what the folks at SAI told me when I bought mine.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hey UK Pony,

I bought a CS8 package for my GT a few years ago and I have to say the CSM number really doesn't seem to matter for value and Shelby status. What I was told by several employees at Shelby is that the CS6/CS8 kit does not have a a CSM number, and never will, for two reasons: A. The kit was intended to be unlimited as far as production until the production run ends (2010) B. The cars would be too hard to track since anyone can buy a full kit and have one built.

Is it a real Shelby? Well in all honesty it's what you want it to be. Amy B. says it's a real Shelby, Carroll Shelby himself has one in his personal collection at the museum at SAI in Vegas... and we are typing in the CS section of the Shelby forum so IMO it's as real a Shelby as any other. You pay a big premium for the package, and you get a plaque that says you have a CS6 or CS8 conversion kit installed that you can't get if you buy all the parts individually, so that gives it even more credibility.

I can also tell you from owning one that this car also performs like a Shelby should and will outrun almost any street car in its price range at the track. As far as the official Shelby Autos registry, I was told by the registry manager to go to the registry section of the website and enter my VIN under the Shelby CS6/8 category, which they have for 2005 to 2009 next to all the other Shelby models. Shelby Autos clearly stated that they won't give CS6/8 owners certificates, for reasons including that they can't state the car is #XX of XX since the production run is unlimited until they stop making the kit. In any event, your car is still eligible for the registry, and you will be surprised at how high these cars get appraised at ^_^

All in all, if you care about having a limited production car with a CSM then don't get a CS6 because that will haunt you for the life of the car. But if that doesn't matter then get one done by SAI or an official mod shop hassle free and enjoy a very rare car that gets a ton of attention (I have 1 of 4 registered CS6/8 cars in Canada). Just make sure you are happy with your decision, because in the end that's what really matters :D

If you have any questions about the process and registry stuff send me a PM and I can explain to you exactly what the folks at SAI told me when I bought mine.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks for your input Kevin - it's pretty much what I was looking for. The CSM is a "nice to have" and although I struggle to see why it can't get one if SAI put it together it doesn't make or break my decision to go ahead.

I'm glad it can go in the registry & will PM you for more info (thanks for the offer to help with that btw).

It's also good to know how many are registered in Canada. I don't suppose you know how many are verts vs coupes? I have a CS6 coupe in blue as my screensaver & can definitely picture my vert sporting this look.

Ken - thanks for your input too....the clean looks do appeal to me & as above the CSM is not a make or break thing for me.

Steve

Thanks for your input Kevin - it's pretty much what I was looking for. The CSM is a "nice to have" and although I struggle to see why it can't get one if SAI put it together it doesn't make or break my decision to go ahead.

I'm glad it can go in the registry & will PM you for more info (thanks for the offer to help with that btw).

It's also good to know how many are registered in Canada. I don't suppose you know how many are verts vs coupes? I have a CS6 coupe in blue as my screensaver & can definitely picture my vert sporting this look.

Ken - thanks for your input too....the clean looks do appeal to me & as above the CSM is not a make or break thing for me.

Steve

The only CS vert I know of is ShelbyCS6's white w/gold stripes, one of the nicest turn 2 CS6 I've ever seen.

I totally agree with Kevin in regards to the CSM#. I guess a question I've had is if I bought a SGT (CSM#) and I modified it with non SGT parts, is it still a CSM# SGT or a modified GT? I thought the CSM# (as designed by Shelby) was tied to the car being 1 of x numbered "like" cars, and if I've deviated from the SGT "look" how is my car classified? I've seen numerous SGT's with the CS6/8 hood and grille.

I classify my CS6 as a modified CS6. I'll never have a dash plaque because I went with different wheels and supercharger and I'm cool with that, but my car is 1 of 1 and it doesn't need a dash plaque or CSM# to prove itself.

Thanks for the input everyone - I think I have my plan of action in place now;

When spring hits I'll sell my '07 Coupe, using the money from that sale I'll order the Turn2 kit & get it shipped up to me.

As the use of an SAI approved mod shop has no bearing on the ability to place the finished car on the registry I'll have local shops do the bodywork & (where I can't figure out how to do it myself) the mechanical installations &tuning.

From rough numbers I can save myself a couple of thousand dollars & have some little extras done at the same time - I've never liked the huge antenna cluttering up the front fender so it'll be removed, the hole welded shut & the fender repainted....the hood stripes can be painted on rather than using decals....& finally the stock door mirrors will be replaced by a set of Agent 47 mirrors (currently sitting on my coupe) & painted to body colour.

Archived