TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ordered me a Whipple...

FordEvangelist

So this is the big boost kit from Whipple - right? Are you going to use the FRPP tune that's supposed to come with it initially? The SCT program you are talking about lets you build a tune? Did you price the same kit from FRPP? Are you going to have to install a bigger fuel pump in addition to the new injectors?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my Mustang. I've been looking at the Whipple site and have been impressed by the twin rotor design and Whipples implentation of it. I'm trying to make my mind up on whether to get the non-intercooled or the big boost and whether to get it directly from Whipple or FRPP. I think most would not recommend the intercooled 10 psi system with a stock automatic, but I wonder if I get a beefy torque converter if the rest of the tranny could handle the HP.

I love the new bling on the avatar ruf! Flash to pass :happy feet:

No problem on the questions!

Yes, it's the "HO" kit from Whipple. Same one that's sold by FRPP. I bought it from Kevin at PMPParts.com. He's a supporting vendor on Modular Fords. It comes with the twin 130lph GT500 fuel pump setup (and the driver module). I have a manual trannie but have heard of some "issues" with teh auto. I'd contact Whipple to find out what's available for the auto. I got the kit for a couple of hundred less than the advertised FRPP price.

I would get the intercooled version no matter what boost level you run - I know from experience taht blowers make a lotta heat and the intercooler is a "must" to me. You can still run the 8psi pulley if you want to but it's worth it to get the intercooler. You could probably pulley it down to 6psi if you wanted. I would guess that someone makes a pulley for that.

I use the SCT Pro Racer Package (PRP) to tune my truck and I've ordered a software upgrade and another tuner (xcal2) that will allow me to tune my Mustang as well. I am sending the PCM to Whipple for the tune though. After it gets back, I'll download the tune to my xcal2 then email it to someone who will "convert" it for me so i can manipulate the tune with the PRP. Apparently, teh SCT software doesn't read teh Whipple tune correctly but they can convert it for me.

I won't make drastic changes to the tune - in fact, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Whipple tune is perfect! lol Having the PRP allows me to change things though if I need to without paying a tuner $150 everytime I need something done. After it's all installed and the Whipple tune is in, I'll take her to the dyno to verify their tune then make changes if needed. If it's something beyond my expertise, I have a local tuner lined up to fix it for me.

I would have bought a turbo kit from Powerhouse411 but it has no provisions for cats and I don't want the headache of worrying about emissions test and inspection.

so... Go Whipple! :)

Thanks for the reply and advice. You've convinced me on the intercooler. I live in Houston and the summers are long and hot. An intercooler is good insurance no matter what boost I end up using. In fact, that reminds me to get a tranny cooler also. The "in the radiator" may be fine for most of the country, but not down here. I bet our tranny failure rate is higher overall because of the heat.

I'm going to see how the battery fares in it's current location - I may have trouble down the line due to the heat.

Did you get your 20" wheels before you got your 4.10s Ruf? My car has the 3.31 and 18" wheels and I haven't been as impressed with the low end as I was hoping. That's why I'm looking at a charger and 3.73s. I know the vert is heavy - mine is 3515. Of course, I only have 120 miles on it so things are still seating and power should improve a little but it's going to need a little mod help I think.

Hi Mark - Did you ever get pics posted?

I've got 19's - and in retrospect, I'd go with 18's. What's done is done. These look good - but I just get wheelspin in all of 1st and half of 2nd.

The 4:10's got installed with the 19's.

I like the gears - just need more sidewall on the tires. I may go to 18's on the rears when I need to replace the tires.

No - I'm pulling you over!! :happy feet:

edit: waiting at stoplights is very cool. It doesn't shake like a Pro-Stocker - but it does shake!! I rinsed it off the other morning while it was running and then watched the beads of water shake and dance! It's very hard to stay off the throttle. It acts like it was born to RUN. Trips to the 93 octane pump remind me to go easy on the loud pedal! :hysterical2:

No - I'm pulling you over!! :happy feet:

edit: waiting at stoplights is very cool. It doesn't shake like a Pro-Stocker - but it does shake!! I rinsed it off the other morning while it was running and then watched the beads of water shake and dance! It's very hard to stay off the throttle. It acts like it was born to RUN. Trips to the 93 octane pump remind me to go easy on the loud pedal! :hysterical2:

Do you have a sound clip somewhere? I'd like to hear it.

Sound clips...just the one that Orf posted on the Ocktoberfest thread...do a search...or scroll down the Shelby Off Topic pages. Sorry.

With the Bassanis - it sounds so good, I'll sometimes stand behind the car for a few minutes in the morning while it warms a little.

I visited a buddy last Sat and he and his wife were outside putting a new trampoline together. When I walked up to them - he said "we heard you coming and it sounds...high end!"

Love the cams and love the Bassanis. :happy feet:

At stoplights - the radio is off - the window is down - I scan the mirrors for possible target aquisitions - the car shakes - I'm John Force waiting to stage - the light turns green - and there's a FedEx truck next to me.... :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, apparently, the vendors were billed for the '07 Whipple kits on Friday and they are all shipping out today! :banana piano:

I should have it by Friday if that's the case - I won't have it installed this next weekend though - but I will start the install. I'll update accordingly of course.

During the prolonged wait, I got itchy so ordered a k-member brace w/torque limiters (keep the tranny and engine all lined up under duress) and a rear axle brace/stiffener. Those should be in this week, too. I might get them put on over the weekend.

:beerchug:

Man - o - Man, that is going to be so sweet. Are you doing the install? The Whipple web site is a little skimpy on details. I would like a more detailed description of each of the components and a pdf of the install instructions would be nice. Think I'll give them a call and see if they have a brochure.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I would love to follow your install :happy feet:

Man - o - Man, that is going to be so sweet. Are you doing the install? The Whipple web site is a little skimpy on details. I would like a more detailed description of each of the components and a pdf of the install instructions would be nice. Think I'll give them a call and see if they have a brochure.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I would love to follow your install :happy feet:

Yup, I'm doing the install - will be my second blower install. The first was a ProCharger so I'm looking forward to this because it's so different.

I've seen pics of the kit and everyone who already has one has raved about the completeness of it so I hope that holds true. I'll do the fuel pump install first then get the engine stuff done. I've also decided to skip the Whipple tune and go straight for a custom tune. Should have the XCal2 in next week so I can get a base tune on the car so I can drive it to the tuner after the install.

Archived