TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ordered me a Whipple...

FordEvangelist

and I can't friggin' wait for it to get here! They said prolly next week. I purchased from Kevin at PMP.

It'll probably take me a whole week to install.

Will post updates later.

I bought the Whipple 10PSI HO (black, don't like shiny bling) kit. It's a complete kit and it's great because it comes with the GT500 fuel pump assembly.

Later....

and I can't friggin' wait for it to get here! They said prolly next week. I purchased from Kevin at PMP.

It'll probably take me a whole week to install.

Will post updates later.

I bought the Whipple 10PSI HO (black, don't like shiny bling) kit. It's a complete kit and it's great because it comes with the GT500 fuel pump assembly.

Later....

Nice, post pics when your done and let us know how it is!!! :hyper:

I saw a picture of one installed. The downside is the tower brace won't fit anymore. I wanted the Whipple, too, but with a 'vert, I don't want to lose that tower brace.

EDIT: Had to fix the spelling error before the dictionary/thesaurus police stopped by.

Does it come with an intercooler? If it does, does it include a second coolant circuit? I just love the whine :happy feet: Gotta Gotta have! I'm thinking of getting a HD torque converter and just forgetting the warranty.

Yeah, it is intercooled and has it's own dedicated air-water heat exchanger. It's a truly complete kit - comes with the GT500 fuel pump assembly which is what really sold me on it.

The product page at Whipple is http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1208. I bought mine from another vendor for several hundred under the list price.

I got the black, 10PSI HO version - saved $500 over the shiny one! They say it'll ship early next week so I might be able to start the install next weekend but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that.

Most guys are dynoing at ~460RWHP/430RWTQ. I'll be happy with anything approaching that.

I saw a picture of one installed. The downside is the tower brace won't fit anymore. I wanted the Whipple, too, but with a 'vert, I don't want to lose that tower brace.

EDIT: Had to fix the spelling error before the dictionary/thesaurus police stopped by.

There's alway ProCharger or Vortech :o)

They make great power, too but you have to put up with a bit more noise.

EDIT- haha, never mind. Didn't realize you have a GT500 :shift:

Yes - he does. And apparently seeks more power! I drove his car. I can't imagine needing any more! :shift:

I'm happy with what I have and it's a lot less than the Commander's Funny Car! :hysterical2:

Plus - I'm saving up for a C6. :happy feet:

EDIT- haha, never mind. Didn't realize you have a GT500 :shift:

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't read the header for this thread. My bad.

But.....

For the GT500, you have to remove the tower brace for the Whipple, as stated above. Not good, IMHO.

Plus - I'm saving up for a C6. :happy feet:

Huh?

Most guys are dynoing at ~460RWHP/430RWTQ. I'll be happy with anything approaching that.

Don't these cars make like 430-440rwhp stock??? I'd be beyond pissed with 460rwhp.... anything under 550+ to the wheels with a blower swap seems pointless.

No, my car is a Mustang GT (4.6L)... crappy rods, etc :baby:

Which is exactly why I won't be putting a blower on mine when it finally comes in. Not knocking your decision to get one, just I don't feel comfortable doing it with non forged internals. I was all game for getting one when I first ordered my car but since then I've read too many threads where motors have gone boom. Most of them putting a rod through the block. :ohsnap: I'll be sticking to the standard bolt on's, maybe a set of heads and Comp stage 2 cams until I can save enough money for forged internals. I'd rather spend the money on upgrading the internals now than buying a complete short block later on.

I thought that the rods were holding up better than people feared. I also thought that the main danger past 4-6 PSI was that the plugs had a tendency to pop out, stripping the threads on the aluminum block.

I've never heard of the plugs popping out, that's a new one. The motor may be safe at the 4 - 6 PSI range but the problem is staying at that power level. :hysterical2: For most people, including myself, once they get a taste of the power at that boost level they eventually want more. Then comes the pulley swap and more boost and so on. Eventually you end up at a boost level that really isn't all that safe for the motor. Most of the examples that I've read where the engine let go was at the 12 - 15 PSI level.

Again, this is just my personal opinion. JDM Engineering has zero engine failures on the hundreds of Saleen kits they sell. They told me I don't need to build up the bottom end but I'm just paranoid. :hysterical2: I'd rather do it right the first time so I don't have any worries.

Which is exactly why I won't be putting a blower on mine when it finally comes in. Not knocking your decision to get one, just I don't feel comfortable doing it with non forged internals. I was all game for getting one when I first ordered my car but since then I've read too many threads where motors have gone boom. Most of them putting a rod through the block. :ohsnap: I'll be sticking to the standard bolt on's, maybe a set of heads and Comp stage 2 cams until I can save enough money for forged internals. I'd rather spend the money on upgrading the internals now than buying a complete short block later on.

I'm not aware of a Saleen or Whipple caused failure. I do know of a ProCharger failure - improper use of meth injection, a Vortech failure (cause unknown), and a recent KB failure - he powershifted to 5th at 6500RPM - boom. The centi blowers both have very "peaky" power curves, too. Not that that's the problem but it's a pattern. (I have a ProCharged truck so know a little about them)

Actually, JDM advertises heavily that they have several hundred of their kits installed and running with no known failures. It's all in th' tune as they say. Believe me... if one fails, it'll get out! lol

I know it can blow everytime I punch it but I don't expect it to. There are a LOT of guys running 440+ RWHP on these cars and not having any issues. That being said... I have already priced and budgeted for a forged short block (~$4,000) for contingency's sake :) My biggest fear is that the blower would injest material if the engine lets go and not be reusable - that would suck.

If she blows - new forged bottom end and I pulley the blower to 12-14PSI. I do all the work myself so it saves a lot of install $$$ for me.

I haven't heard about the plugs blowing out - there is an issue if you try to remove the plugs after say... 20,000 miles. Apparently, carbon builds up on the shank portion and makes it difficult to get out. Known instances of the plug breaking off in the head because of this. :baby: Solution to that of course is to floor it all the time so no carbon builds up! :-]

the plug/thread failures are when they are not installed properly. I've read about a couple that resulted in the coil insert repair (do they drill out or do you have to use a different plug?). I'm going the supercharger (Whipple) route and plan to only run 4-6 psi over ambient. I've got an auto tranny so the twin screw low end will be a big bonus.

Well, the blower is delayed a bit - I'm told there was a slight change in the engine bay from '06 to the '07 year model - maybe something to do with the shock tower brace??? but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's supposed to ship next week - Jan 22 or so. Whipple says they're waiting on the new plumbing to arrive. My guess is that it has something to do with the intercooler reservoir mounting.

On a lighter note, they tell me I'm getting one of the first Whipple's for an '07 :baby: At least mine's going out in the first batch anyhow.

Meanwhile, I've got an SOS Triple Gauge pod, and gauges (fuel press, boost, afr) on the way. Also ordered an xcal2 for the car and the SCT PRP package so I can adjust the tune myself.

More updates later!

So this is the big boost kit from Whipple - right? Are you going to use the FRPP tune that's supposed to come with it initially? The SCT program you are talking about lets you build a tune? Did you price the same kit from FRPP? Are you going to have to install a bigger fuel pump in addition to the new injectors?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my Mustang. I've been looking at the Whipple site and have been impressed by the twin rotor design and Whipples implentation of it. I'm trying to make my mind up on whether to get the non-intercooled or the big boost and whether to get it directly from Whipple or FRPP. I think most would not recommend the intercooled 10 psi system with a stock automatic, but I wonder if I get a beefy torque converter if the rest of the tranny could handle the HP.

Man - can't wait to see some pics and comments as you put this beast together!!

It's gonna rip. :hyper:

I love the new bling on the avatar ruf! Flash to pass :happy feet:

Archived