TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT trunk spoiler

How many have installed the Mustang GT, or Shelby GT 500 trunk lid spoilers to their SGT? Or the V-6 Mustang duckbill spoiler?

From what I understand, Mr. Shelby himself nixed the idea of the rear spoiler for these cars, but maybe someone here can shed more light on the "spoiler delete" option found on the window stickers.

If you have installed a rear spoiler, let's see some pics. My personal favorites are the Mustang GT and V-6 duckbill spoilers.

jP

How many have installed the Mustang GT, or Shelby GT trunk lid spoilers to their SGT? Or the V-6 Mustang duckbill spoiler?

From what I understand, Mr. Shelby himself nixed the idea of the rear spoiler for these cars, but maybe someone here can shed more light on the "spoiler delete" option found on the window stickers.

If you have installed a rear spoiler, let's see some pics. My personal favorites are the Mustang GT and V-6 duckbill spoilers.

jP

Can't say for certain that Carroll nixed the spoiler personally, but it was nixed because the GT-350's never came with them and that was the reason cited why spoilers were not installed on the SGT's.

I personally went against tradition and installed a GT500 ducktail spoiler on my SGTS/C and it looks terrific IMO.

You can see a picture of the spoiler/car in my signature below.

How many have installed the Mustang GT, or Shelby GT trunk lid spoilers to their SGT? Or the V-6 Mustang duckbill spoiler?

jP

I installed the mustang gt spoiler !! Love the way it looks and I did it my self with no template and a sharp drill bit :drool: if you like me can install spoiler for u!!!

post-18733-126196562701_thumb.jpg

post-18733-126196583518_thumb.jpg

post-18733-126196562701_thumb.jpg

post-18733-126196583518_thumb.jpg

jP

If you go to the Mod/Tech forum and search for topics with the word "Spoiler" you find MANY examples of what people have done and many pictures. I went with the V6 spoiler and posted pictures as well.

I don't like the GT pedestal-style rear wings, but didn't find a spoiler-delete car when shopping for either of mine. I put a black one on the white car, which, I think, reduces the Star-Wars-Warrior look somewhat. I got the V6 'Pony' wing in Dark Candy Apple Red from NewTakeoff, had it painted to match the black car, and it fits the same holes as the GT item.

In both cases I'd prefer the "lip" spoiler or none at all.

coupePalomarCrop_2421.jpg

GTCSCMsoLRV_0858.jpg

MustBayRRv_7494.jpg

coupePalomarCrop_2421.jpg

GTCSCMsoLRV_0858.jpg

MustBayRRv_7494.jpg

I don't like the GT pedestal-style rear wings, but didn't find a spoiler-delete car when shopping for either of mine. I put a black one on the white car, which, I think, reduces the Star-Wars-Warrior look somewhat. I got the V6 'Pony' wing in Dark Candy Apple Red from NewTakeoff, had it painted to match the black car, and it fits the same holes as the GT item.

In both cases I'd prefer the "lip" spoiler or none at all.

That black wing on your white car is a nice, subtle touch, Frank. I typically don't like spoilers at all, but that looks very sharp.

Ken

I have been struggling with the installation of the GT-H wing since I purchased my car. To make a point, I have a black one in the box ready to install that I purchased in September and just can't do it because of the limited number of cars like mine produced.

I personally like the spoiler wing combo on the GT-H convertible and have come close several times and it is a struggle not to.....

Glenn

I cannot convince myself to add a spoiler to the SGT. I do like the duckbill spoiler. However, if I were to ever add one, it would likely be the GT-500 spoiler to keep it "Shelby".

I cannot convince myself to add a spoiler to the SGT. I do like the duckbill spoiler. However, if I were to ever add one, it would likely be the GT-500 spoiler to keep it "Shelby".

Don't forget the KR!

It's made at SAI, and they attach the V6 spoiler. Can't get much more "Shelby" than that. Amy did imply when asked about the decision to use the v6 spoiler that when tested it was more functional than the GT500 spoiler. Having said that though everything I've read says that nothing lower than 18" or so above the rear deck does any good what so ever. So who knows.

I like the V6/KR spoiler, as I said in the threads above because of its low profile adding a nice touch of balance to the rear without overpowering the car as I feel some other spoilers can.

DSCN2022.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

DSCN184A.JPG

DSCN2022.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

DSCN184A.JPG

Don't forget the KR!

It's made at SAI, and they attach the V6 spoiler. Can't get much more "Shelby" than that. Amy did imply when asked about the decision to use the v6 spoiler that when tested it was more functional than the GT500 spoiler. Having said that though everything I've read says that nothing lower than 18" or so above the rear deck does any good what so ever. So who knows.

I like the V6/KR spoiler, as I said in the threads above because of its low profile adding a nice touch of balance to the rear without overpowering the car as I feel some other spoilers can.

Yes sir ! The V6/KR spoiler is certainly an option for keeping it "Shelby" :)

Don't forget the KR!

Decisions, decisions....

if i were to add a spoiler my vote goes to the KR spoiler with the the GT 500 spoiler a close 2nd.....

Laurence

I wasn't to keen on the back of the car really, mostly because I wanted to ditch the dang stained stripes!,,, I installed the three piece Jack Rousch spoiler... I wish SAI had them to install too, its a great spoiler and it is functional... check my profile gallery, it looks quite nice...

GNB

I debating whether to put the GT 500 spoiler on my Shelby GT. My question is, do you have to drill into the trunk to attach the spoiler or does it attach with 3M tape? Also do you have to purchase the stripes from SAI?

Thanks,

Mike

I debating whether to put the GT 500 spoiler on my Shelby GT. My question is, do you have to drill into the trunk to attach the spoiler or does it attach with 3M tape? Also do you have to purchase the stripes from SAI?

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry, you have to drill the spoiler. Tape won't hold it. The stripes can be purchased at Shelby Performance Parts.

I have considered a spoiler or wing, but have elected to keep the "clean" look. If I were track/drift racing, I'd install a wing. But instead, I just terrorize N.W. Indiana with my 385 HP SGT#574.

My prioroties were spend money on horsepower and brakes first. Then I installed American Racing GT5 single block forged aluminum wheels and the lower front grill and fog lights. I think I'm done.

It took a while for me to decide to actually put a spoiler on it...but now I'm glad i did. I went with the ducktail spoiler from Cervini's along with 1/4 window scoops.

You have a great looking ride. I love the ducktail spoiler. It is the most retro of the various choices , and reminds me of the 68GT350 convertible and the california specials. Any problems with install, paint, stripes etc.?

jpl

Archived