TEAM SHELBY FORUM

fitting dash pod

Hello, I have searched endlessly, and may have even asked this question once before, but has anyone had any difficulty getting their shelby dash gauge pod to fit correctly? I love the look of the kit, but just can't get it to stay in place. Has anyone used other methods such as drilling into the top of the dash? I want the pod to stay in place, but also be removed if necessary. Thanks for all help in advance and happy holidays!

SAI used velcro tape to install mine. It fits perfectly on my dash, Just lucky I guess! Easy to remove to clean under or change light bulbs if needed. I've read posts that guys are having trouble with fitment. You might try a heat gun to heat and mold the gauge housing, Just a thought.

GOOD LUCK!!

Hello, I have searched endlessly, and may have even asked this question once before, but has anyone had any difficulty getting their shelby dash gauge pod to fit correctly? I love the look of the kit, but just can't get it to stay in place. Has anyone used other methods such as drilling into the top of the dash? I want the pod to stay in place, but also be removed if necessary. Thanks for all help in advance and happy holidays!

I recall one guy used 2 rolls of paper towels ( one full roll and one half roll) to wedge the gauge pod to the windshield and then let it sit for a few weeks to take the proper shape and then 3M 2 sided tape.

thanks for the replies! I have tried getting the pod to heat and mold better with the stock velcro, but I go over a couple rows of bumpy older train tracks about 8 times a day where I live, and it just doesn't hold up. I am currently using a portable gps as a "brace", but I am going to look into that 3M idea., thanks! I really would like a more permanent solution that maybe involved drilling into the dash with nice finished nuts atop the pod to fasten it? Thanks for all the help guys!

thanks for the replies! I have tried getting the pod to heat and mold better with the stock velcro, but I go over a couple rows of bumpy older train tracks about 8 times a day where I live, and it just doesn't hold up. I am currently using a portable gps as a "brace", but I am going to look into that 3M idea., thanks! I really would like a more permanent solution that maybe involved drilling into the dash with nice finished nuts atop the pod to fasten it? Thanks for all the help guys!

Dont drill the dash pad!!! Unless you want to ruin it!! The dash pad is one huge assembly,shell,and everything fastens to it and a new one cost over $2000.00 Down the road it will be major pain trying to find a new one to ever replace it!!!!

I am currently attempting the 3M tape solution. I think the only crap this sticks to is itself.. any tips?ha Thanks!

3M makes a "super Strength" tape made for molding pieces. I have used it before and it's very good stuff. If your going to go the 3M route, try the good stuff. It's O.E.M. Approved Easy to apply. For use on interior trim panels, body side moldings, rocker panels, emblems, and cladding

Here's the linky to the product.

http://www.steedshop...-Molding/Detail

The super strength tape Grabber posted a link to is the same stuff I use. Make sure to use alcohol to clean the spots on the dash and pod where the tape will be. If you can hold the pod in place for 24 hours with something heavy or the wedged paper towel idea, it will allow the adhesive to form a stronger bond.

3M makes a "super Strength" tape mad for molding pieces. I have used it before and it's very good stuff. If your going to go the 3M route, try the good stuff. It's O.E.M. Approved<LI>Easy to apply<LI>For use on interior trim panels, body side moldings, rocker panels, emblems, and cladding

Here's the linky to the product.

http://www.steedshop.com/servlet/the-1774/3M-Super-Strength-Molding/Detail

Grabber,

Is there anything you don't know about how to deal with the issues presented by our cars? Thanks for the link as I am trying to get the pod to fit better. The only thing about the tape is that I could not get at the bulbs to replace them.

Jim

I am currently attempting the 3M tape solution. I think the only crap this sticks to is itself.. any tips?ha Thanks!

This probably goes without saying but be sure to clean the dash area with something like alcohol to remove any residue of things like Amor-All etc., that can mess up even the best tape from sticking.

Warren,

Nice job.. You've even hard wired your radar detector and installed homelink!

Stuart

The homelink mirror I did myself along with the radar detector hardwire, and while I was there, I did the one touch convertible top actuator and installed bluetooth handsfree into the maplight area as well. Then I added the manual trunk button in the stock location to match my old mustang. When it came to the dash pod though, that was all Jeff Harris- He has done everything right on my car, even if it takes more effort and time. I NEVER want this pod crashing off in a track scenario or at speed on a regular road.

The Velcro SAI uses is an industrial velcro, it is awsome stuff, but since the pod is not perfect it is very hard to get all the velcro to attach to one another,,, I went to the hardware store and picked up normal regular "furry" velcro for mine, trimmed down the pod on the underside and it fits perfectly, very strong hold too... Now I don't have to worry about accelerating so hard that the pod comes off and knocks the passenger out! (a little exageration)

Just a note: Do not use electrical tape on the "Pigtail" coming out of the pod, there is so much heat at the dash it will unravel...Use Eastwoods underhood tape, its like the old school harness tape and will not unravel with heat showing those wonderfully colored wires..

GNB

Archived