TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel Reconditioning/repair

iceman

So I curbed the passenger side front wheel parking on the street downtown the other day. I didn't think I did anything but just noticed I have some cosmetig damage on the rim. I tried to let it go but it's bugging me so i have to either buy a new rim or get this one taken care of. I've found some great tools to do do this (even with the wheel still on the car) but I can't find a service as i don't really want to buy the thing for myself.

Anyone know of any good reconditioning places? I really don't want to buy a rim as i want to replace them anyway but it's not at the top of my list and the scuffing is bothering me - it's more than scratches but not anything that would be structural at all.

Any ideas appreciated - thanks in advance

I heard that duct tape can fix anything.

I think I saw new rims priced around $170. I know you don't want a new one, but I think it might be tough to get someone to spend a couple hours of labor to repair it for considerably less.

If I was going to be getting new wheels within 6 months, or so, I would probably try to live with it. Tough to say, though. I would bet it's going to cost you around $100 to get it fixed. Just a guess.

I think I saw new rims priced around $170. I know you don't want a new one, but I think it might be tough to get someone to spend a couple hours of labor to repair it for considerably less.

If I was going to be getting new wheels within 6 months, or so, I would probably try to live with it. Tough to say, though. I would bet it's going to cost you around $100 to get it fixed. Just a guess.

So far 280 is the cheapest factory wheel I've found. If I buy this style I will want factory. I think for now I'll try to live with it but it pisses me off because it was a stupid mistake - I'm just glad it wasn't a scratch down the door - then I'd have to fix it.

I'll hijack my own thread here - What do you guys use to clean these wheels - inside by the lug nuts? Anyone use that Mothers ball and how does it doo? I need something to get in there with all fo the dust I get after a day of driving.

I've found some great tools to do do this (even with the wheel still on the car)...

Sorry to hear that!! What tools are you refering to? Do you have a link? I took my F150 through some deep mud the other day (had a blast too!) but later found 3 out of the 4 wheels now have nice circular scratches all over them. Doesn't bother me too much, but would if it was on my GT500.

Funny stuff!

Sorry to hear that!! What tools are you refering to? Do you have a link? I took my F150 through some deep mud the other day (had a blast too!) but later found 3 out of the 4 wheels now have nice circular scratches all over them. Doesn't bother me too much, but would if it was on my GT500.

This is what i saw - just can't find a place that has it and does the service...maybe a new business if everyone in town forgets how to park for a day like me.

http://www.rightlook.com/wheel_repair_promo.html

I don't know of any wheel repair shops in Indiana so I can't help you with that. As far as washing the nuts are concerned (here we go again Ruf), I use a nut washing brush. :stop: Ruf.

I don't know if they still sell them but Giriots (spelling?) Garage has quite a few items to wash the car as well as for washing nuts. Otherwise, you may have to consider occasionally removing your nuts in order to gain access to the nut holes and give them a good cleaning.

:headspin:

So I curbed the passenger side front wheel parking on the street downtown the other day. I didn't think I did anything but just noticed I have some cosmetig damage on the rim. I tried to let it go but it's bugging me so i have to either buy a new rim or get this one taken care of. I've found some great tools to do do this (even with the wheel still on the car) but I can't find a service as i don't really want to buy the thing for myself.

Anyone know of any good reconditioning places? I really don't want to buy a rim as i want to replace them anyway but it's not at the top of my list and the scuffing is bothering me - it's more than scratches but not anything that would be structural at all.

Maybe someone who has purchased aftermarket rims would sell you one of their old rims at a decent price.

I don't know if they still sell them but Giriots (spelling?) Garage has quite a few items.

I have their catalog, but too lazy to look through it. The spelling is Griots.

That sucks iceman, Oh well, maybe now you can sell them and buy a set of chrome ones, if you like chrome. If not, that should be covered under your vehicle insurance. That way, you would get a new one.

Good Luck.

That sucks iceman, Oh well, maybe now you can sell them and buy a set of chrome ones, if you like chrome. If not, that should be covered under your vehicle insurance. That way, you would get a new one.

Good Luck.

I actually like the chrome ones I've seen, but I just hate the idea of having to remount the TPM sensors and mount/dismount and balance all the wheels. Perhaps if I could find a buyer for my stock set of wheels I would consider it.

Oh snap, I hijacked the thread. Sorry Ice...I don't know of any wheel repair places, but looks like a couple ideas were recommended.

Dave

I actually like the chrome ones I've seen, but I just hate the idea of having to remount the TPM sensors and mount/dismount and balance all the wheels. Perhaps if I could find a buyer for my stock set of wheels I would consider it.

Oh snap, I hijacked the thread. Sorry Ice...I don't know of any wheel repair places, but looks like a couple ideas were recommended.

Dave

No worries - I found Mr Wheels who looks to do good work locally but as I look at this it's so minor I may not fix it because I want new rims anyway in the long run. I'm toying with ordering a new rim so i have 4 good ones and one that can be my spare - I'd move the current tire to the new rim and set up the cheapest I could for the spare - I still am not sure - no one ever notices the scrape but I know it's there and it bugs me. I did order a new chin spoiler as I know I'll eventually be scraping that to heck - likely this summer when I get to drive more :)

I'll try to get a pic of the wheel now and if I have it rapaired we'll do an after and the cost.

keep in mind if cosmetic wheel can be repaired.

there is a clear coating on wheel

Ford says no no to repairing this wheel if not cosmetic

You WILL find that if your wheel is repaired it will look nice but most likely not match 100% your other wheels (10yrs with a major insurance company)

best bet is to buy a new wheel from your dealer & keep the damaged wheel for spare after repairs

On another note how many have looked close at their wheels for damage when car was new? Both of my Shelby's had chips in at least 1 wheel around center/lug nut area. Appeared to be from how wheel was mounted when tire was installed.

Check your wheels!

I had actually fairly large chips in this area

I broke down and ordered the new rim. I want those Razor's but they are a little ways off and a scratched rim won't do so I just got a new one. I'll have to get help putting the tire and sensor etc on next week I suppose. I may still try to get the rim repaired just so I have a nice spare around too.

Thanks for the ideas

I broke down and ordered the new rim. I want those Razor's but they are a little ways off and a scratched rim won't do so I just got a new one. I'll have to get help putting the tire and sensor etc on next week I suppose. I may still try to get the rim repaired just so I have a nice spare around too.

Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the update. At least you'll have a spare.

Are you saying that your company is not paying to restore vehicles to their "pre-loss" condition?

next time read the whole post :idea:

Thanks for the ideas

you made the right choice

Archived