TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keeping stock / factory parts off your sgt?

jmn444

OK, I'm not going too nuts on modding this car really, but curious what you guys think about selling vs. keeping the original parts on these cars for future value...

I'm likely going to keep this one forever, and honestly, not looking at it as an investment at all, it's just a car I doubt I will get tired of since the styling seems as timeless as my '68 to me, SO, for the bigger items like rims/tires, i'm not sure if i should hang on to them for future value or not... I currently have the space for them, but they aren't unique to the shelby, so not sure if it really matters to hang on to them...

On a similar note, the frpp springs are going to be swapped with eibach sportlines soon, I feel a little more compelled to keep those for some reason, probably because i might want to smooth out the ride a little as i get older... but again, how much does stuff like that matter for a collecter down the road and is it worth it to just box up and save em or assume there will be NOS stuff available later if desired?

I have saved everything.

I am about to get the Kicker System installed, not sure if I am going to save the old crap speakers. Considering the Kicker is Shelby I do not think it would hurt, would probably increase the value down the road. Not that I bought it as an investment...........

Keep it all. It will be a treasure someday to someone. On show cars, in the future, items that will add to the value include exhaust systems, battery, original belts and hoses, battery cables, tires, wheels air cleaners, shocks, floor mats etc.

Back in 1986 I paid $1500 for an NOS battery for my 1966 Shelby which was a concourse restoration. My friends thought I was nuts. I sold that battery a few years later for $3000.

OK, I'm not going too nuts on modding this car really, but curious what you guys think about selling vs. keeping the original parts on these cars for future value...

I'm likely going to keep this one forever, and honestly, not looking at it as an investment at all, it's just a car I doubt I will get tired of since the styling seems as timeless as my '68 to me, SO, for the bigger items like rims/tires, i'm not sure if i should hang on to them for future value or not... I currently have the space for them, but they aren't unique to the shelby, so not sure if it really matters to hang on to them...

On a similar note, the frpp springs are going to be swapped with eibach sportlines soon, I feel a little more compelled to keep those for some reason, probably because i might want to smooth out the ride a little as i get older... but again, how much does stuff like that matter for a collecter down the road and is it worth it to just box up and save em or assume there will be NOS stuff available later if desired?

If you have the room.........Keep it all...There is nothing like an original Car especially a SHELBY

My personal opinion is to sell any part that is the same as the Mustang GT. If a part is unique to the Shelby GT, keep it ! For example, I'll likely sell the stock headrests since they are not unique to the Shelby GT. I've replaced them with the Shelby GT headrests. On the other hand, I'm keeping the CAI even though it's been replaced by the Paxton intake. The CAI is unique to the Shelby GT; therefore, I'm keeping it.

I sell or junk almost all of my take offs. No regrets.

I'm with you K- I've sold my original wheels, if you can buy it from Ford directly its not worth holding on to it imo because everyone else can get them but small things that can't I'd say hold on to them, mats, PBF badges- plus you'll have extra dough for more parts :shift:

I sell or junk almost all of my take offs. No regrets.

I think I would keep everything if I had a Shelby, but something inside me tells me otherwise :confused: I know for a fact I would keep the original hood scoop attached to the original hood and just buy another hood like the deep draw.

Good luck and don't hold back on your mods!

If you have storage space, I would save everything you take off the SGT. Several reasons, 1) because the parts are readily available today you'll have to almost "give away" the used parts, 2) when you go to sell the car most dealers/buyers lean toward "stock" cars so you should replace all of the original parts prior to trade-in,(your idea of tasteful mods may not be the same as the buyer) 3) when Shelby Autos quits making the parts the prices will skyrocket at some point (look at the earlier 65-70 Shelby original part prices) 4) selling the original parts only assist in the "cloning" or "tribute" bogus SGTs, 5) if you change your mind about the aftermarket parts, then you will still have the originals to replace (many aftermarket parts just don't hold up like factory parts). Just some thoughts, I even keep the boxes that the Shelby Auto parts came in, including invoices etc. .

If you have storage space, I would save everything you take off the SGT. Several reasons, 1) because the parts are readily available today you'll have to almost "give away" the used parts, 2) when you go to sell the car most dealers/buyers lean toward "stock" cars so you should replace all of the original parts prior to trade-in,(your idea of tasteful mods may not be the same as the buyer) 3) when Shelby Autos quits making the parts the prices will skyrocket at some point (look at the earlier 65-70 Shelby original part prices) 4) selling the original parts only assist in the "cloning" or "tribute" bogus SGTs, 5) if you change your mind about the aftermarket parts, then you will still have the originals to replace (many aftermarket parts just don't hold up like factory parts). Just some thoughts, I even keep the boxes that the Shelby Auto parts came in, including invoices etc. .

Great summary!

I think it comes down to the fact that what might seem like a "cool" mod today may not be in hindsight or your desires may change. For example today you might be all about speed but tomorrow you might be all about history and want to put the car back to stock condition. Maybe you won't but why limit yourself. I also agree that should you want to sell it in the future having the old stock parts will broaden the cars appeal.

IMHO!

-Jeff

Well,

I agree and disagree at the same time.. I have 2 428 motors, one a CJ the other a PI.. The PI came from a 68 GT500... Why keep them? they are very rare..

With our cars it is a bit different.. They did make a ton of the "New breed" Shelbys, much more than they did in the 60's so it makes sense to save the old stuff, not necessarily the new. Today the only Shleby I think I would save parts from (and I would not mod the car) would be the 500KR or supersnake.. Our SGT's are identical to the regular mustang GT externally with exception to the front fascia and rear bumper covers... The wheels, you can get anywhere and I am sure 30 years from now you will find them too..

Where I am going with this is Back then the Shelby was just another muscle car, limited production (just like a hemi cuda or Boss mustang) it was a new thing and noone save a few would understand the investment they made.. fast forward to today, everyone knows the legacy of the Shelby, so most want to save the parts thinking how rare they will be, this goes to our advantage should we need a part down the road and I beleive we will not be hard pressed to find them due to the numbers produced and the lack of rareness.. I will keep a few things that are very specific to our cars, the boat anchor wheels isn't one of them.. will keep Hood, CAI (even though you can get it from ford racing) grill, hood pin-set... Sold my shifter (automatic) made me puke everytime I saw it,,,Went with the TCI shifter.. The wheels are gone as soon as I can sell them.. Suspension stuff will stay, though I think if I wanted to upgrade I would not keep any of it except the rear components.. The stripes went as soon as I dug out my heat gun! I would have replaced them but I cannot get the ford dealers here to move at all (Korea!) Maybe when I get the car to Germany, then only maybe... Our cars are not as rare as we would hope, yes they are shelby's and fine autos at that, you would get more milage betting on the rarity of the Parnelli jones mustand from Steve Saleen, he only produced 500... How many SGT's are there out there now??

GNB

I'm with you K- I've sold my original wheels, if you can buy it from Ford directly its not worth holding on to it imo because everyone else can get them but small things that can't I'd say hold on to them, mats, PBF badges- plus you'll have extra dough for more parts :shift:

I am kind of partial to the razors myself especially having the shelby logo over the factory black or polished wheel since they did come on stock mustang gt's or bullits. I got rid of my wheels also really plan on keeping everything else though no modding.

Bud and crew packed up all the parts when I did the GT/SC (Kenne Bell). I have them in the garage. The big parts like the plenum and CAI take up lots of space. I'm inclined to put them out with the trash (although someone can buy the CAI if they want). Why keep them? I'd never go back to a straight Shelby GT. The car is now in the registry as a GT/SC. It'll be and stay that.

At least that's my logic.

Archived