TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 vs Audi R8

HesamiGT500

I have had my 2010 GT500 coupe for a couple months now and I LOVE it. I have been searching for another fun car and I have been disappointed by a lot of cars in comparison to the Shelby even though the Shelby is so affordable. Driving an Aston is like driving a mechanical wheel chair in comparison and BMW, Audi, and Merc don't offer anything that is impressive to drive to like a maniac. The S6 was slightly impressive from Audi. BMW M6 was not so much fun and the AMG SL coupes from Merc are for the moms in the area.

The only car that has made me grin like a little kid is the Audi R8. We are deciding between a stick and tiptronic but I can honestly say that after driving it for several days all over town and disregarding most traffic laws, I find equal, if not more excitement driving my bright red Shelby. And the Shelby gets the same attention. For the most part, those are the 2 things I care about in a car, excitement and attention.

I will tell you the results when me and my father pit the 2 against each other.

ps. I have yet to drive a Ford GT but I would imagine that would be similar winning a vacation to St Lucia with Megan Fox.

I have had my 2010 GT500 coupe for a couple months now and I LOVE it. I have been searching for another fun car and I have been disappointed by a lot of cars in comparison to the Shelby even though the Shelby is so affordable. Driving an Aston is like driving a mechanical wheel chair in comparison and BMW, Audi, and Merc don't offer anything that is impressive to drive to like a maniac. The S6 was slightly impressive from Audi. BMW M6 was not so much fun and the AMG SL coupes from Merc are for the moms in the area.

The only car that has made me grin like a little kid is the Audi R8. We are deciding between a stick and tiptronic but I can honestly say that after driving it for several days all over town and disregarding most traffic laws, I find equal, if not more excitement driving my bright red Shelby. And the Shelby gets the same attention. For the most part, those are the 2 things I care about in a car, excitement and attention.

ps. I have yet to drive a Ford GT but I would imagine that would be similar winning a vacation to St Lucia with Megan Fox.

Have you driven the CTS V--its a monster of a ride--not too many made,but if ytou druve one its fun.I wound up buying the STS V,which only has 469hp,but it bigger inside,which i needed.I think the CTS V is 556hp

MichaelP- I would agree that Gallardos are amazing but I haven'y found any that fit my budget at all. Also, I love the Daytona Coupes.

Torched10- The V editions of those Caddies are great. I have driven them but my Shelby is about as big as I would like to get.

I looked at the V-10 R8s and those are a lot closer to their Italian cousins, Lamborghini, but still a bit more than I wanna spend if I want to spend while keeping the Shelby. I have made the decision that the only car that might cause me to consider letting go of my GT500 is the Ford GT.

My main point that I would like to add is that I have been in the market for any sort of car that I truly enjoy by myself and with all my friends and family and I have had a very tough time finding anything that I enjoy more than my Shelby. I enjoy the R8 and will probably have it for a time but I have been Satisfied with my stock GT500 just the way it came from the showroom. I hope that all the other owners feel the same way. Be proud because I think that we own some of the coolest cars you can get.

Well, you'd be surprised. R8 is crazy on a track and the Audi quattro system really is shocking but it doesn't allow you to drive like an idiot and it seems like it is only meant for old men to drive to a golf course or a terribly boring business meeting. And the interior is beautiful but it almost exactly matches the interior of my A4 and bores me after a while. An Analogy that I have for it is, if you have built up a tolerance to drinking a fifth of a handle of Vodka straight from the bottle, your probably not the type of person who would enjoy trying to get drunk off of a bottle of vintage Dom Perignon.

Spare me the class-- just give me a V8 with over 500hp, red paint, and a whip.

Doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the class, it just doesn't do it for me entirely anymore.

Well, you'd be surprised. R8 is crazy on a track and the Audi quattro system really is shocking but it doesn't allow you to drive like an idiot and it seems like it is only meant for old men to drive to a golf course or a terribly boring business meeting. And the interior is beautiful but it almost exactly matches the interior of my A4 and bores me after a while. An Analogy that I have for it is, if you have built up a tolerance to drinking a fifth of a handle of Vodka straight from the bottle, your probably not the type of person who would enjoy trying to get drunk off of a bottle of vintage Dom Perignon.

Spare me the class-- just give me a V8 with over 500hp, red paint, and a whip.

Doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the class, it just doesn't do it for me entirely anymore.

Really they are 2 totally different cars/rides. One is a refined sports car and the other is a raw old school/heel toe, muscle car. Both are a blast for different reasons.happy%20feet.gif

I don't get it. My 2002 Audi S4 feels a whole lot more fun to drive than this Shelby. Either I am butt-seat spoiled by the boost and torque from a bi-turbo or all this HP and supercharger stuff from the Shelbyis not cutting it for me. IMHO. +1 for attention on the Shelby though!!

Well, I have driven that model of S4 extensively for about a month or so and the power felt quite comparable to my 3.2 liter '09 A4. Feels great, but I think If you buried your foot a bit deeper in the Shelby's throttle after the engine break-in, you might change your mind very quickly.

As for passing the warrantied mileage on the R8, I couldn't imagine ever putting more than 50 thousand miles on that even if I drove it during the week. In my case I would probably not exceed putting 5 thousand on it If I kept it for a bit longer than a year and drove it on weekends in good weather when I am not driving the Shelby which would be half of the weekends.

Archived