TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aloca Wheels

robertlane

So let me ask a few questions about the Alcoa Wheels. I want to get these and found them as a set of 4 mounted and balanced on the web....

From Cruzin' Concepts (dot com)?

Talk to Greg (owner), he'll be able to tell you more.

Personally, I won't go with a smaller tire than what's on the car stock. Too many complaints from the Super Snake crowd about lack of traction as it is.

But maybe that's just me,

Phill (most likely going with 20" Alcoa's in the future too)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I understand correctly, one cannot go wider than a 285 on the Alcoas because of the offset? So I assume that 20s with the proper offset will accommodate a wider tire?

Can someone explain offset and backspacing? I thought I saw something awhile back, but I cannot seem to find it.

I just installed mine with the 295/30/20 toyo Proxes on the rear. They fit excellent with my FRPP suspension. Pictures here - http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz52/smrtasp/Shelby/?action=view&current=IMG_0425-1.jpg&newest=1 and here - http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz52/smrtasp/Shelby/?action=view&current=IMG_0426-1.jpg&newest=1. The only thing I would point out is that these arent the softest tires. I was running the F1 super cars with the special tread (180) and you can tell the difference in hard cornering. These Toyos are rated at 300.

If I understand correctly, one cannot go wider than a 285 on the Alcoas because of the offset? So I assume that 20s with the proper offset will accommodate a wider tire?

Can someone explain offset and backspacing? I thought I saw something awhile back, but I cannot seem to find it.

Should be a link here - scroll through this thread. To run a 315+, you just need to widen the Alcoas. It's about $250/per wheel from Weldcraft to widen them. It would be nice if Shelby would offer them in 11" but that seems unlikely at best.

Thanks again for reminding me about this and that it was a rebate for buying four hankook tires and not four of the same size tires.... I got my $50 check in the mail yesterday, so I appreciate it.!

Andretti

No Problem. Got my check last week to.

BTW...how do you like the Hankook's so far? Mine are collecting dust in the garage as my car is still not in yet. Hopefully soon.

No Problem. Got my check last week to.

BTW...how do you like the Hankook's so far? Mine are collecting dust in the garage as my car is still not in yet. Hopefully soon.

I didnt realize you didnt have your car yet....something being done to it or did you order one to put these wheels on or something??

I really like the Hankooks so far. Originally I had Nitto's on my Shelby Razors before swapping out for the Alcoa's with Hankooks. I have noticed that even when I wasnt trying, I would quite often spin or chirp the tires when a light turned green or when I would accellerate up through the gears. Without changing my driving style or habits in the least, I havent done that with the Hankooks even once. I've probably put 150-200 miles on the car at most since switching out, but all in all I'm extremely happy with them. If I have any complaints, it would be that I need to have the front two rebalanced since I have a slight shake around 65 that clears up around 75. I read somewhere (and talked to 08 mustang about it in the past) and there is some type of wheel/tire balancer that is the best way to actually balance a wheel once a tire is mounted on it that is much better than the typical balancing done at most tire shops (the actual name of the machine escapes me atm, but it can help determine if the problem is actually a bad tire). I did a search awhile ago only to find out my local mustang dealer where I got my car at has one, so I've already planned for a trip up there sometime in the future. Its not a huge problem and tbo I dont blame the wheel or the tire for the out of balance issue....I figure its just typical (from what I've experienced) that balancing 20" wheels seems rather difficult.

All in all though, I'm extremely happy with the entire deal...wheels and tires.

Andretti

I didnt realize you didnt have your car yet....something being done to it or did you order one to put these wheels on or something??

I really like the Hankooks so far. Originally I had Nitto's on my Shelby Razors before swapping out for the Alcoa's with Hankooks. I have noticed that even when I wasnt trying, I would quite often spin or chirp the tires when a light turned green or when I would accellerate up through the gears. Without changing my driving style or habits in the least, I havent done that with the Hankooks even once. I've probably put 150-200 miles on the car at most since switching out, but all in all I'm extremely happy with them. If I have any complaints, it would be that I need to have the front two rebalanced since I have a slight shake around 65 that clears up around 75. I read somewhere (and talked to 08 mustang about it in the past) and there is some type of wheel/tire balancer that is the best way to actually balance a wheel once a tire is mounted on it that is much better than the typical balancing done at most tire shops (the actual name of the machine escapes me atm, but it can help determine if the problem is actually a bad tire). I did a search awhile ago only to find out my local mustang dealer where I got my car at has one, so I've already planned for a trip up there sometime in the future. Its not a huge problem and tbo I dont blame the wheel or the tire for the out of balance issue....I figure its just typical (from what I've experienced) that balancing 20" wheels seems rather difficult.

All in all though, I'm extremely happy with the entire deal...wheels and tires.

Andretti

I have a 2011 Kona Blue vert ordered. White stripes, no SVT PP. Ordered Jan 18, Built April 12 and it's been in Flat Rock limbo ever since. Supposedly shipped June 2 with ETA of June 3, but June 9 was "Return to Plant". Then June 10 "Waiting Shipment". Dealer says it should be here by the end of this week. I've only heard that about a dozen times now though angry2.gif .

Road Force Balancer. My dealer does not have one though. So I'll have him mount the tires and then I'll take the Alcoa's to get balanced.

So I should go either 275 or 285 at the largest...hmm..okay.

I like the way this wheel/tire combo seem to fit flush with the side of the car. I really don't want to any smaller than the stock width of 285...however I don't want to have issues...

Anyone else? 275 or 285? Any isses with 285?

This guy is running 285/30/20 Nitto Invos at the rears and is having a hard time keeping the power to the ground, it looks nice nevertheless.

Mikes3.jpg

Mikes1.jpg

Archived