TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aloca Wheels

robertlane

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Cameron. According to the tracking, the rear tires will be here Friday.

Should be able to complete this weekend.

Thanks for your help on the pics and your responses on tire selections.

You're very welcome Andy, I'm glad I could offer some help.

I look forward to seeing them on your car!

I currently have 20" Shelby Razors on my GT. I am wondering if the center cap holes are the same size as the ones on my new Alcoa's. I havent pulled a wheel off my GT at this point (but will in the next few days as time allows) so I can test the center cap on the Aloca's to be 100% sure either way, but I'd love to know if anyone has tried this yet and knows for sure.

I gotta admit.....I'm absolutely THRILLED at the new Alcoas....the plastic centercaps?? not so much. The Shelby Razor wheels are found constantly 1/2 the price of the Alcoa's (even when they first came out), yet they come included with center caps and are the same material as the wheel itself is....yet the Alcoa's arent. I find this more than a bit surprising and wonder why Shelby went this route.

If I can use the metal Razor ones on the Alcoa wheels, I most definately will, if not, the plastic ones it will be. Again, I'd love to hear if anyone has tried this and if it works or not.

Andretti

this seems pretty self serving, but I did bring up the question earlier in the thread and since I have an answer now, I thought I'd share.

A few days ago, I pulled one of my Razor wheels off and removed the center cap to see if it would fit the Alcoa's. Unfortunately, I can now report without any doubt, they cannot. I dont know if anyone else had wondered this, but since I already had the Razors on the car, and then purchased the Alcoa's, I really wanted to use the same centers verses plastic ones. It turns out the center hole is bigger on the Alcoa's and I saw no way to make the caps work.

Just figured I'd pass along the info.

I.S., I'm really looking forward to seeing them as well. Please make sure to post when possible.

Andretti

this seems pretty self serving, but I did bring up the question earlier in the thread and since I have an answer now, I thought I'd share.

A few days ago, I pulled one of my Razor wheels off and removed the center cap to see if it would fit the Alcoa's. Unfortunately, I can now report without any doubt, they cannot. I dont know if anyone else had wondered this, but since I already had the Razors on the car, and then purchased the Alcoa's, I really wanted to use the same centers verses plastic ones. It turns out the center hole is bigger on the Alcoa's and I saw no way to make the caps work.

Just figured I'd pass along the info.

I.S., I'm really looking forward to seeing them as well. Please make sure to post when possible.

Andretti

Will do. UPS tracker states the tires are at my local hub. Hopefully, I'll see him before 7pm. I seem to uaually be one of his last stops

I'm ready though, TPMS and other related parts are ready to go for the rears. It sure looks good in person !

IS

IS, what did you end up using for TPMS and bands?

ptaylor, I got some 20" bands from O Reillys. Removed the bands from my stock wheels.

Popped the bracket off from the wheel; its held on by double sided tape and then marked

each sensor as to what corner it came from. reused the stock clip and then assembled

all that stuff on the new 20" alcoa.

th_InstallAlcoa004.jpg

th_InstallAlcoa005.jpg

IS

The finished product ! Well, sort of. Waiting on the center caps. Was not happy with the first set. Shelby took them back...no questions asked.

They will get another set out to me. Irregardless here are some garage shots right after the install was complete.

First drive felt a bit stiffer(probably sidewall stiffness), but I think they got the balance not right yet. I had a bit of

vibration at about 65. Handling seemed more crisp and direct. Could be the Hankkoks as well as the entire assembly working together

I'll need to balance them again and see if I can get rid of the slight shimmy.

th_AlcoaComplete002-1.jpg

th_AlcoaComplete004.jpg

th_AlcoaComplete005.jpg

IS

The finished product ! Well, sort of. Waiting on the center caps. Was not happy with the first set. Shelby took them back...no questions asked.

They will get another set out to me. Irregardless here are some garage shots right after the install was complete.

First drive felt a bit stiffer(probably sidewall stiffness), but I think they got the balance not right yet. I had a bit of

vibration at about 65. Handling seemed more crisp and direct. Could be the Hankkoks as well as the entire assembly working together

I'll need to balance them again and see if I can get rid of the slight shimmy.

th_AlcoaComplete002-1.jpg

th_AlcoaComplete004.jpg

th_AlcoaComplete005.jpg

IS

How satisfied are you with the Hankooks overall? I forget if you previously mentioned, are you lowered at all from the stock ride height?

I think it looks awesome, but would appreciate any other 'opinions' regarding brand and tire size now that you have them installed. I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger in the next few days on Hankooks as well barring. Hopefully you can get some miliage this week on it and get a chance to really feel them out.

Andretti

How satisfied are you with the Hankooks overall? I forget if you previously mentioned, are you lowered at all from the stock ride height?

I think it looks awesome, but would appreciate any other 'opinions' regarding brand and tire size now that you have them installed. I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger in the next few days on Hankooks as well barring. Hopefully you can get some miliage this week on it and get a chance to really feel them out.

Andretti

Andretti, I am at stock ride height. Seems as though the room is there if and when I decide to lower.

As mentioned earlier, I like the Hankooks, I need more miles on them to truly make a fair assessment.

Handling seems crisper, more responsive. They do seem to be quiet...at least so far.

One initial gripe, is that I need to have them rebalanced...slight shimmy at 60mph. Cannot tell if its simply

a balance issue or something else. I'll atart there. More critque of the Hankooks to come.

I'm happy I went with the 255/35/20 out front and the 275/35/20 on the rear.

The rear met my expectations, being that it does not stick out. Stance is good. Looks just right.

The 285/30/20 would have fit, but according to the specs, it would have stuck out a bit more.

There is a smackerel of space left that the 285/30 would have filled, but I like the 275/35 better.

Very happy I switche them out for the 275.

IS

IS

Andretti, I am at stock ride height. Seems as though the room is there if and when I decide to lower.

As mentioned earlier, I like the Hankooks, I need more miles on them to truly make a fair assessment.

Handling seems crisper, more responsive. They do seem to be quiet...at least so far.

One initial gripe, is that I need to have them rebalanced...slight shimmy at 60mph. Cannot tell if its simply

a balance issue or something else. I'll atart there. More critque of the Hankooks to come.

I'm happy I went with the 255/35/20 out front and the 275/35/20 on the rear.

The rear met my expectations, being that it does not stick out. Stance is good. Looks just right.

The 285/30/20 would have fit, but according to the specs, it would have stuck out a bit more.

There is a smackerel of space left that the 285/30 would have filled, but I like the 275/35 better.

Very happy I switche them out for the 275.

IS

IS

I sure hope you've gotten some time to get out and 'test' your tires....I know our weather here in KC has been awesome these last few days. Did you get the 'out of balance' deal figured out?

Andretti

First of all, I never said "Looks like crap" another member from another forum did who's had the 285's on his Alcoas for quite some time. Second, your numbers are wrong. There's a bigger difference between a 285/30 and a 275/35 than .2 inches. In fact, here are the correct figures. Nearly half an inch in sidewall height and nearly an inch in diameter.

285/30

Sidewall - 3.4"

Diameter - 26.7"

275/35

Sidewall - 3.8"

Diameter - 27.6"

FYI

WANTED TO CHIME IN AND SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT THE PROPER SIZE IS AS FOLLOWS:

285/30/20

SIDE WALL-3.36

DIAMETER-26.73

275/35/20

SIDE WALL-3.78

DIAMETER-27.57

DIFFERENCE OF ONLY:

SIDEWALL- .42

DIAMETER- .84

SORRY TO STICK MY $.02 IN , BUT I WANT EVERYONE TO HAVETHE PROPER FACTS

ACCORDING TO THE TIRE CALCULATOR.

MY TIRE CALCULATOR MUST HAVE BEEN

BROKEN :doh::hysterical:

HERE IS THE CORRECTED DIFFERENCE ABOVE

SCOTTY

Its all good, very happy with how my 285/30's fit. Rear is nice and wide with no side wall bulge and no rubbing on my BMR lowered car. Had some good weather so got it pulled out of the shop for some better pics.

post-27318-126831863957_thumb.jpg

post-27318-126831863957_thumb.jpg

Shot from the rear, Sorry for the large photo size, there not that big on my computer?

Looks good. I am going with the Hankook V12s, CS66 wheels on 255 35 20 front and 285 30 20 rear. When I talked to my tire shop the owner said essentially what others have said in this post is there is not that much difference between the 275 35 & 285 30. His take was not enough to make a difference. I wanted a little wider so I went with the 285's. Hope to have everything mounted up in the next couple of weeks.

^^

Scotty, you compared a 285/30/20 vs a 275/30/20.

Those are correct measurements based on those tire sizes, but the original comparision was a 285/30/20 (26.73"dia) vs a 275/35/20 (27.60"dia).

MY BAD !!! :doh: :

SCOTTY

Guys I have a question. I have a 2011 GT 5.0 ordered and would like to put the Alcoa's on the car....I am assuming they will fit on the GT's? Also, saw where the store shows them as out of stock...does anybody know if they have them. I will call tomorrow but was curious if any of you knew.

Guys I have a question. I have a 2011 GT 5.0 ordered and would like to put the Alcoa's on the car....I am assuming they will fit on the GT's? Also, saw where the store shows them as out of stock...does anybody know if they have them. I will call tomorrow but was curious if any of you knew.

I haven't heard of any new 2011's with them yet, but I would assume everything that applies to all the previous years would apply to yours too.

Shelby should have the 20x10's in stock right now. The front 20x9's should be in stock in the next week or so. If you're interested in buying a set, you can go to their website and add them to your wish list...then as soon as they are available, you'll receive an email.

Congrats on the new GT!!!!

go to their website and add them to your wish list...then as soon as they are available, you'll receive an email.

I've done this, received the email Wednesday, Mar 10 they they were available, went to Shelby store to buy and still out of stock banghead.gif

I've done this, received the email Wednesday, Mar 10 they they were available, went to Shelby store to buy and still out of stock banghead.gif

lol, yeah, same thing happened to me.....when I called and spoke to TimH, he said that they received one into inventory it sent out a mass email to everyone telling them in stock when that wasn't completely accurate.....you just have to go and add them again.

They should be in stock in the next week or so.

Archived