TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 or 2012 GT500 Engine Update

hitman007

Just read a spy report in the January Truck Trend that the Ford Coyote 5.0L that is going in the F-150 and Mustang GT at 400 HP/ 400 ftlb. will be replacing the current 5.4 as well as the 4.6. And the article said Ford is working on a twin turbo version for the GT500. I am guessing the twin turbo would make about 540 HP but with better fuel economy than the current 5.4 Then there is the new 6.2 that is going in the SVT Raptor truck which is expected to make 450 HP. Now slap twin turbos on the 6.2 and drop it in a GT500 and we may be talking about 600 HP! That is my Christmas wish to Ford!

Just read a spy report in the January Truck Trend that the Ford Coyote 5.0L that is going in the F-150 and Mustang GT at 400 HP/ 400 ftlb. will be replacing the current 5.4 as well as the 4.6. And the article said Ford is working on a twin turbo version for the GT500. I am guessing the twin turbo would make about 540 HP but with better fuel economy than the current 5.4 Then there is the new 6.2 that is going in the SVT Raptor truck which is expected to make 450 HP. Now slap twin turbos on the 6.2 and drop it in a GT500 and we may be talking about 600 HP! That is my Christmas wish to Ford!

:waiting:

We'll never see the 6.2 in the Shelby. One of the problems with the current 5.4 is weight and the 6.2 is heavy. Next year we get the aluminum block 5.4. We probably won't see anything major until the new 2014 model.

Couldn't the 6.2 be modified for the Shelby to reduce the weight? The Corvette Z06 has a 7.0 and it works pretty well!

The numbers are 412 hp and 390 ft lbs for the Gt mated to a 6 speed with an upgrade to a 3.73 rear available as an option.

Roger

The numbers are 412 hp and 390 ft lbs for the Gt mated to a 6 speed with an upgrade to a 3.73 rear available as an option.

Roger

That will make the regular GT a fun car to drive! It will be interesting to see what happens when Hertz starts to put the masses behind the wheel of a 400+ Mustang. Maybe they will just offer the V-6 version.

Archived