TEAM SHELBY FORUM

traction issues

breoland

Here are some pix of Marc's (miamimtg) Super Snake with the 11.75" <<(is this right Marc, 11 3/4) rears and 315/30's and the original 9's up front with 275/35's....................

photo-5.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Nice Marc!!

R

The Super Snake traction solution. I highly recomend all the hundreds of ssnakes run and do this. Wow.

Ok, credit goes to Lee Novikov. He is the inventor of this modification. Credit also to James at weldcraft wheels.

The fix is:

You send in your ssnake wheels, or pick up 2 new ones, and send them to James at weldcraft wheels. He will add width to the inside of the wheel.

I added 1 7/8ths inches so they are now 11 7/8ths. Then you pop on the newly out toyo proxis R888 competition sticky rally race tires which are street legal. 315 30 ZR 20. This is what I am running. Lee Novikov is running Michelin PS2's 335 30 ZR 20. This is a straight street tire assuming you want some more miles and rain wear. Both will fit these wheels.

If you never need to use the michelins you may go 11.25 wide instead for a better wheel to toyo fit. I then moved my nitto nt05 rear 275 35 20 tires to the front and they are great.

What an improvement omg.

it seems so far to be dead purrfekt.

its hooking up. its sticky,

its handling like a rally car, its super on the highway at 120mph.

it straight line drags great, so far as yet i've only played one day since this modification and havent really seen limits yet.

Cut off the bumpstop and shock boot. And remove the brake cooling plastic ducts.

Did I say wow. What a fit. Stock look. Purrfekt.

( ' _ ' ) get back 1st and second gear. Lee and James thank you again. Wow.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee - I am already too far into this tire/wheel upgrade. I have purchased a full set of Super Snake logo'ed Alcoa's just for the purpose of widening them for the front and rear. I just want to have matching tires front and rear also.

I am going to research the 275/35 PS2's further before I spend more $$$ for a lesser tire. I do like the PS2's. I did find a website tonight showing the PS2 tread, either it was a wrong tread picture, or it is where the PS2 is going. It looked nothing like the current PS2 tread.

Do you know anyone in your area who might have a pair of 275/35 PS2's?

R

heres one lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-275-35-20-102Y-MICHELIN-PILOT-SPORT-PS2-6-32-60-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5c7be5a7QQitemZ250659726759QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1148

Lee - I am already too far into this tire/wheel upgrade. I have purchased a full set of Super Snake logo'ed Alcoa's just for the purpose of widening them for the front and rear. I just want to have matching tires front and rear also.

I am going to research the 275/35 PS2's further before I spend more $$$ for a lesser tire. I do like the PS2's. I did find a website tonight showing the PS2 tread, either it was a wrong tread picture, or it is where the PS2 is going. It looked nothing like the current PS2 tread.

Do you know anyone in your area who might have a pair of 275/35 PS2's?

R

thats an easy one sir, run the backs up there until you find them its 20 bucks to mount them, or grab 2 used ps2's, or run 4 matched set of the toyos.

Personally I think the 9" the front is fine. I don't think its worth the $$$ to add .5". I would just run the stock Pirelli's till the PS2's are back in stock. I still have my stock fronts on my car.

As for the rear, the Dunlap tires are not rathed as good as the PS2. Why pay twice as much for a lesser tire? Just do the 335 PS2. They are not much different in width. If you are worried about rubbing you can run the 335/25 PS2. Its a little shorter (closer to stock height, but still gives you the width you want.) Its a run flat so its a little more than the 30 series PS2, but gives you more wiggle room.

i agree the 9 fronts are fine. adding a half an inch is a complete waste of time and shipping and money and likely gives chance to un-true the factory balance and roundness of that original wheel for no gain. plus, since the 9's take the rear size moved to the front as they are quite perfectly as i have done, i do not see where there is any gain nor purpose nor advantage in it.

Lee - I am debating the Dunlops 325's.........I know they are expensive, but my plan is to do all four tires with 9.5" rims on the front and now 11.5" on the rear if I infact do the 325's. 11.5" is a perfect size for the 325's. I can buy Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's for the front and rear, 275's and 325's. I have been trying to find a pair of Michelin PS2's in the 275/35 size with no luck, they are factory backorder and to add to that, I hear that Michelin is going though a redesign, so I may never be able to get a front 275 in a PS2 to match the rear 335's if I were to go the PS2 direction and 11.75" rears.

If I could find a pair of new 275/35ZR20 PS2's for the front of my SS, that would be a game/plan changer, but right now it seems that everyone is out of them, with some question as to if they will be available in the future..............

If I were only doing the widening on the rear, this would not be such a big deal for me personally, but since I am also going to pay for front wheels to be widened to 9.5" (if all of my calculations are correct), I would like whatever tires I buy for the car to match all the way around. <<<That's just me.........

R

i agree with Lee, sir, the 9 fronts are fine. adding a half an inch is a complete waste of time and shipping and money and likely gives chance to un-true the factory balance and roundness of that original wheel for no gain. plus, since the 9's take the rear size moved to the front as they are, quite perfectly, as i have done, i do not see where there is any gain nor purpose nor advantage in it.

i agree with Lee, sir, the 9 fronts are fine. adding a half an inch is a complete waste of time and shipping and money and likely gives chance to un-true the factory balance and roundness of that original wheel for no gain. plus, since the 9's take the rear size moved to the front as they are, quite perfectly, as i have done, i do not see where there is any gain nor purpose nor advantage in it.

I would have to see how 275's fit the 9" rim. I know for a fact that Nitto's run smaller than other brands, so using them as a "fitment" would not be what "could be" found with other brands in the same 275/35 size. I may move a Pirelli 275 to a 9" rim and see if the look suits me. If it does, I have no problem using the 9's up front.

As for the 9.5", it would be nice to at least get back the original rim width that came on these car when they were new, 18x9.5.

R

How did you buy a set of Super Snake logo'd wheels?

I found a single 9" for sale, with a glimpse of another wheel laying next to it. I quizzed the seller about any additional wheels, and he had 3 more. All are 9's, but that is not an issue since my plan is to widen all 4.

As I had mentioned wayyyyy back at the beginnings of these wheel/rim discussions, I was not really interested in widening the original set of SS wheels that came as part of my conversion. I was going to do the non-SS logoed wheels and be happy, when I came across SS logo's, that was even better, but I ended up spending about $300 extra, not a big deal..........about $75 per wheel for SS logo's.

R

I found a single 9" for sale, with a glimps of another wheel laying next to it. I quizzed the seller about any additional wheels, and he had 3 more. All are 9's, but that is not an issue since my plan is to widen all 4.

R

wow. that is a RARE find. how much were they I'm dying curious....

i don't want to be a repeat nag. but i would widen only 2, and leave the fronts R'. ( '_' )

marc

I would have to see how 275's fit the 9" rim. I know for a fact that Nitto's run smaller than other brands, so using them as a "fitment" would not be what "could be" found with other brands in the same 275/35 size. I may move a Pirelli 275 to a 9" rim and see if the look suits me. If it does, I have no problem using the 9's up front.

As for the 9.5", it would be nice to at least get back the original rim width that came on these car when they were new, 18x9.5.

R

i will be very surprised, if, any brand of that size, is not a great fit. the nitto's i have, are the competition sticky soft nto5's, and were much bigger/fatter, than the pirellis we took off, and had them side by side. these arent envos or 555, they were fatter rubber every which way, yet fit like a glove as if they were made for HER. This is how they should have come in my opinion, i kept saying and thinking, after the mod. it costs no thing to try the backs on the front and get your feelings on it. i sure wish u guys could try mine. when i put those sticky soft nto5 rears on the front and the toyos on the back it cornered like a track car and straight lined like a drag racer.

u will see!!!

wow. that is a RARE find. how much were they I'm dying curious....

i don't want to be a repeat nag. but i would widen only 2, and leave the fronts R'. ( '_' )

marc

As a comparision, the non-SS logoed 20" Alcoa's are approx. $500ea. for a total of $2K plus shipping. This is with no center caps, no TPMS, no bands for the TPMS and no valve stems.

I paid $2100 for these 4 9's with SS logo's and TPMS w/bands and correct original valve stems and caps, no center caps. Then shipping on top of that. All four are new and have never had tires mounted.

I guess I didn't spend $300 additional for these SS logo's. When I first did my figuring, I thought they were going to cost me more.

R

As a comparision, the non-SS logoed 20" Alcoa's are approx. $500ea. for a total of $2K plus shipping. This is with no center caps, no TPMS, no bands for the TPMS and no valve stems.

I paid $2100 for these 4 9's with SS logo's and TPMS w/bands and correct original valve stems and caps. Then shipping on top of that. All four are new and have never had tires mounted.

I guess I didn't spend $300 additional for these SS logo's. When I first did my figuring, I thought they were going to cost me more.

R

they are basically 'impossible' to get. so you bought a one of a kind find. Which will always be re-sellable should you ever wish to. I can't see how you could get hurt. and if you save the 250 x 2 for the fronts and do not widen them, as Lee and I both seem to agree on, you save enough to go towards your new rubber.

Archived