TEAM SHELBY FORUM

traction issues

breoland

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about making it an inch wider and putting a 305 drag radial from nitto on it

well ...the 305 35 20 nitto nt05R is 28.58 tall pert near the same tall issue.

so, if going 28.58 tall, one might as well go 28.74 and gain 12.48 width instead of just 12.16.

i guess. so long as they both go under. but it all depends what will fit i guess. plus the 305 is the 555R and the 315 is the 05R supposedly stickier and improved. plus taller is traction and width is traction. so its stickier taller wider and improved. UNLESS it rubs lol.

post-26660-126326457807_thumb.jpg

post-26660-126326457807_thumb.jpg

how about making it an inch wider and putting a 305 drag radial from nitto on it

i still like Lee's solution. i am likely going to get his 335 30 20 ps2's plus a set of whichever drag radials will max go.

and try both. burn bb burn.

( '_' )

nt05 handling and all around sticky tir. Also isade in 315 35 20 hmm probably a real good tire choice also.

post-26660-126326530166_thumb.jpg

post-26660-126326530166_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have Alcoas on the way and planned to widen to 11.75 and go with the Nitto 05R in 315/35/20, but..... don't want to damage the fenders. Anyone tried this yet to know if it fits? Thanks

i still like Lee's solution. i am likely going to get his 335 30 20 ps2's plus a set of whichever drag radials will max go.

and try both. burn bb burn.

( '_' )

nt05 handling and all around sticky tir. Also isade in 315 35 20 hmm probably a real good tire choice also.

I have Alcoas on the way and planned to widen to 11.75 and go with the Nitto 05R in 315/35/20, but..... don't want to damage the fenders. Anyone tried this yet to know if it fits? Thanks

My guess is that since the 335 that Lee chose is virtual the same outside diameter as the SAI installed 275's and they fit the fenderwell lip on the 11.75's in the same way that the 275's do on the 10's, there should be no fender contact issue if you are running a Super Snake ride height.

This equal outside/overall diameter, 335 vs. 275, will also keep the correct speedo reading since the revolutions per mile are virtualy the same for the 335 and 275. A shorter tire will spin more times in a mile and the speedo will not be acurate, same with a taller tire that spins less revolutions per mile, inacurate speedo.

R

My guess is that since the 335 that Lee chose is virtual the same outside diameter as the SAI installed 275's and they fit the fenderwell lip on the 11.75's in the same way that the 275's do on the 10's, there should be no fender contact issue if you are running a Super Snake ride height.

This equal outside/overall diameter, 335 vs. 275, will also keep the correct speedo reading since the revolutions per mile are virtualy the same for the 335 and 275. A shorter tire will spin more times in a mile and the speedo will not be acurate, same with a taller tire that spins less revolutions per mile, inacurate speedo.

R

well no not really. The nitto nto5R 315 35 20 is a 35 and the spec reads about an inch taller diameter. It's gonna fill the fender bigger and might need at worse u to crank up taller the rear a bit.

I had both for mine. And when we looked at em both side by side. The r888 was a better fit, and a tad wider, and a rally tire so good at 120mph in highway weeving and bobbing. But likely the nitto R will straight line better due to design, softer sidewall, and the extra taller sidewall.

well no not really. The nitto nto5R 315 35 20 is a 35 and the spec reads about an inch taller diameter. It's gonna fill the fender bigger and might need at worse u to crank up taller the rear a bit.

I had both for mine. And when we looked at em both side by side. The r888 was a better fit, and a tad wider, and a rally tire so good at 120mph in highway weeving and bobbing. But likely the nitto R will straight line better due to design, softer sidewall, and the extra taller sidewall.

Thanks. So you are running the 315/30/20? I do see that it's about an inch shorter. Still, I'd love to cram the n05s in there for the traction. We'll see...

Thanks. So you are running the 315/30/20? I do see that it's about an inch shorter. Still, I'd love to cram the n05s in there for the traction. We'll see...

the height of the ps2's 335 that lee runs. The R888 I am running. And the stock 275 perreli bicycle tires. All are equal pretty much in height dimension numbers ifN I remember right. Like 27.5. But I'm out at dinner so don't hold me to it. The nto5R drags at 35 sidewall were 28.5 an inch tooo tall ifN I remember. I bought both those and the r888.

After talkin with lee. And eyeballin up them both at the car. I went with the R888.

I'm sure the nitto R will be great and sick too. Go 4 it. Let is kno so u can b the guinee pig.

the height of the ps2's 335 that lee runs. The R888 I am running. And the stock 275 perreli bicycle tires. All are equal pretty much in height dimension numbers ifN I remember right. Like 27.5. But I'm out at dinner so don't hold me to it. The nto5R drags at 35 sidewall were 28.5 an inch tooo tall ifN I remember. I bought both those and the r888.

After talkin with lee. And eyeballin up them both at the car. I went with the R888.

I'm sure the nitto R will be great and sick too. Go 4 it. Let is kno so u can b the guinee pig.

Like the Clint Eastwood movie...I'z gotz to know! So, I'm going to try it. Probably take a month or so to get the wheels widened and everything put together. I'll post how it shakes out. Thanks for your help.

Like the Clint Eastwood movie...I'z gotz to know! So, I'm going to try it. Probably take a month or so to get the wheels widened and everything put together. I'll post how it shakes out. Thanks for your help.

Do you feel lucky punk? Well fo you?

.....personally, I think they'll go. There's still some room lookin at my R888's.

But, in all this confusion I lost track. ( ' _ ' )

Do you feel lucky punk? Well fo you?

.....personally, I think they'll go. There's still some room lookin at my R888's.

But, in all this confusion I lost track. ( ' _ ' )

With all the excitement , I forgot myself, was it 5 or 6! I do feel lucky... I'll find out if an inch makes that much difference. I like the sidewall look of the 35.

See ya

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not saying that a taller tire will not fill the fenderwell better, or differently, a 305/35ZR20 will fit the rear fender area as tested months ago by Reggie. However, Reggie also mentioned that when he placed items or people in his back seat, there was some tire to fender contact because the tire was almost 1" taller than the original diameter of the 275. That is the taller issue, and what has been experienced in previous tests of a "1 inch taller" and a rear passenger, or two.

The speedo being acurate is a completely different issue. If I am bobbing and weeving at 120, or 100, 80 or even 55, I want to know I am doing what my speedo says I am doing. A taller or shorter tire will not read acurately on the speedo unless the car is recalibrated for the difference. The only fact that I was stating, as it relates to "correct speedo readings" is that the car was/is currently set up for the 275 (which is most closely matched by the 335 diameter). This is one item that many people don't even think about in their quest for bigger/wider, and then they think they are going xxx mph when in fact they are either doing more or less. With a car like this, and the eyes that it can draw to it, I don't want an officer to be stating that I was doing xxx mph, and I could only guess if he (or she) is correct while they hand me a ticket, or worse.

As Lee has mentioned, the 335 gives the wider rubber, keeps the original appearance (rim profile), and also keeps the same diameter (or very close) meaning correct speedo readings.

If ultimate traction is the top priority, then there may not be a 335 in the rubber compound for top traction, then the "other sizes" will have to be explored. I do agree that your R888's look great on those widened Alcoa's, they also appear to fit very well.

R

]

Joe I run the 315/30/20 and it is almost exactly the same height ast the 275/35/20

according to my calculation:

275/35/20 is 700.5mm tall or 27.58 inches tall

315/30/20 is 697 mm tall or 27.44 inches tall

if you can look and see the 3.5mm difference in height you are a better man than I am!

as far as tire wall overhang:

stock tire/rim combo has 10mm overhang on each side.

Toyo 315 on an 11.75" rim has 8mm overhang on each side.

this is a great combo if your looking for the stock wheel appearance with some real ass-kicking rubber on the road.

Ron

post-2947-127522919256_thumb.jpgpost-2947-127522920238_thumb.jpgpost-2947-127522922252_thumb.jpgpost-2947-127522924005_thumb.jpg

post-2947-127522919256_thumb.jpg

post-2947-127522920238_thumb.jpg

post-2947-127522922252_thumb.jpg

post-2947-127522924005_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron,

Beautiful car and I bet it's "kick ass" to drive.

I agree the 315/30 is probably ideal at 27.44. The Nitto 05R with its 35 sidewall and 28.5 height and the extra inch may not be ideal. Until someone who has tried them can tell me it works and there's no fender/wheel well issues, I'm not ready to take the jump. At least I have a month for the wheels to get back from Weldcraft.

Thanks,

Joe

]

Joe I run the 315/30/20 and it is almost exactly the same height ast the 275/35/20

according to my calculation:

275/35/20 is 700.5mm tall or 27.58 inches tall

315/30/20 is 697 mm tall or 27.44 inches tall

if you can look and see the 3.5mm difference in height you are a better man than I am!

as far as tire wall overhang:

stock tire/rim combo has 10mm overhang on each side.

Toyo 315 on an 11.75" rim has 8mm overhang on each side.

this is a great combo if your looking for the stock wheel appearance with some real ass-kicking rubber on the road.

Ron

post-2947-127522919256_thumb.jpgpost-2947-127522920238_thumb.jpgpost-2947-127522922252_thumb.jpgpost-2947-127522924005_thumb.jpg

Ron - Your G.O. SS does look good!!

How much width did you add? 1.5" or 1.75"?

Your tire diameter difference cause minimal change for the speedo, maybe a little fast? Originally the front and rear P Zero's were approx. .5" difference in height, 27.2 front - 27.7 rear. Your 27.4 rears should give a "very close to equal" front to rear appearance.

Reggie used a 305 on the rear of his car with the original 10", it is an overall diameter of 28.4" in a P-Zero. A 315/35ZR20 is listed as 28.7" in a P Zero Rosso. Because of the 27.7" (275/35/20) upsized to 28.4" (305/35/20) Reggie mentioned tire rub. Any larger diameter will only touch sooner. Of course most of us who bought a Super Snake "may" want to put someone, at some point in the rear seat of our car. If Reggie's 28.4" was an issue until he shortened his axle, any tire that tall, or taller may be an issue, unless the owner puts the rear seat off limits. Before Reggie shortened his axle, he adjusted the Eibach coil overs higher if I remember correctly. I personally would not be interested in "jacking my car up", just to fit a taller tire and keep the ability for rear passengers.

I am not bashing anyones tire/wheel combo choice, BUT, there are many who browse this forum for suggestions on their ALCOA wheels and tire choices, for a Super Snake and non-Super Snake. If there are "known issues" from the past that have been mentioned during the many, many attempts to get bigger rubber, they should be mentioned in current posts, so there are no surprises "after the tires are purchased, mounted and wheels installed". I just happened to remember Reggie mentioning this and that he was going to have to adjust his Eibach suspension "up" about a 1/2" for additional clearance, that was with a 28.4" tall tire.

R

Thanks Robert.

I went with 11.75" width so that I could have the option of going to 335 tire at some point. If you plan on sticking with the 315 width tire, i recommend an 11.5" wide rim. this will give you a bit more tire overhange (more like stock) and will protect the rim a bit better next to a curb. Frankly I am pretty happy with the 315 Toyos and dont really feel the need to go with 335 at this point.

probably the speedo reads a little fast (maybe 1% or less).... but that's not a bad thing..... its when your speedo reads slow that you get in trouble!

I agree that there are a hundred ways to skin this cat (traction) with the SS but for me this is the best way!

Ron

Thanks Robert.

I went with 11.75" width so that I could have the option of going to 335 tire at some point. If you plan on sticking with the 315 width tire, i recommend an 11.5" wide rim. this will give you a bit more tire overhange (more like stock) and will protect the rim a bit better next to a curb. Frankly I am pretty happy with the 315 Toyos and dont really feel the need to go with 335 at this point.

probably the speedo reads a little fast (maybe 1% or less).... but that's not a bad thing..... its when your speedo reads slow that you get in trouble!

I agree that there are a hundred ways to skin this cat (traction) with the SS but for me this is the best way!

Ron

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I had my 725 out yesterday. One thing I have noticed, even with the 275's........If you start out normal, and shift normal from 1st to 2nd, not at higher rpm, but just a normal shift, and then accelerate briskly, not hard, but steady, the 725 can pin you back in the seat and pull hard without spinning. Of course if you are at a traffic light with..................a Z06 or something, a normal off the clutch start and a normal shift from 1st to 2nd will only let the other car pull away. But for the sensation of 725h.p. in an almost 4K lb. car, easing the car at the bottom end can pin you back in the seat, and then the shift from 2nd to 3rd and the seat pin is sustained, pretty cool!! It seems like the 725 just continues to beg for more.............

I am stilll learning mine, I am just approaching 400 miles.

I also like Miami's idea of moving the 275's to the front. Has anyone attempted to move the 10" wheel to the front yet?

R

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here you go. Its really easy. I have even done 2 cars in the parking lot at the Texas Mile.

Lee, Thnx for the pix. They are helpful. I will be making this mod on my next set of tires. I just ordered a KB 3.6LC so I will be needing those 335's soon!

As you advised in our phone chat, I did go to 11.75" and polished the welds. I'm currently funning 305's and they have transformed the car.

Thnx for being the trailblazer for us and sharing all your experiences.

BJ

Lee, Thnx for the pix. They are helpful. I will be making this mod on my next set of tires. I just ordered a KB 3.6LC so I will be needing those 335's soon!

As you advised in our phone chat, I did go to 11.75" and polished the welds. I'm currently funning 305's and they have transformed the car.

Thnx for being the trailblazer for us and sharing all your experiences.

BJ

No probelm. You are very welcome. No doubt you will need as much rubber as possible with the 3.6LC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not saying that a taller tire will not fill the fenderwell better, or differently, a 305/35ZR20 will fit the rear fender area as tested months ago by Reggie. However, Reggie also mentioned that when he placed items or people in his back seat, there was some tire to fender contact because the tire was almost 1" taller than the original diameter of the 275. That is the taller issue, and what has been experienced in previous tests of a "1 inch taller" and a rear passenger, or two.

The speedo being acurate is a completely different issue. If I am bobbing and weeving at 120, or 100, 80 or even 55, I want to know I am doing what my speedo says I am doing. A taller or shorter tire will not read acurately on the speedo unless the car is recalibrated for the difference. The only fact that I was stating, as it relates to "correct speedo readings" is that the car was/is currently set up for the 275 (which is most closely matched by the 335 diameter). This is one item that many people don't even think about in their quest for bigger/wider, and then they think they are going xxx mph when in fact they are either doing more or less. With a car like this, and the eyes that it can draw to it, I don't want an officer to be stating that I was doing xxx mph, and I could only guess if he (or she) is correct while they hand me a ticket, or worse.

As Lee has mentioned, the 335 gives the wider rubber, keeps the original appearance (rim profile), and also keeps the same diameter (or very close) meaning correct speedo readings.

If ultimate traction is the top priority, then there may not be a 335 in the rubber compound for top traction, then the "other sizes" will have to be explored. I do agree that your R888's look great on those widened Alcoa's, they also appear to fit very well.

R

the r888's are the same diameter tall as the 335 ps2's and the stock tires, all.

each will keep your speedo equal and valid.

that way you will know when you should be getting a ticket for going 92 mph, it is for 92 mph. the r888s are smack on per tire rack, micheline, toyo websites spec sheets.

ps2's 335/30ZR20 28"

r888's 315 30 20 27.6"

pirelli stock 275/35ZR20 27.7"

XL 220 AA A

the r888's are the same diameter tall as the 335 ps2's and the stock tires, all.

each will keep your speedo equal and valid.

that way you will know when you should be getting a ticket for going 92 mph, it is for 92 mph. the r888s are smack on per tire rack, micheline, toyo websites spec sheets.

ps2's 335/30ZR20 28"

r888's 315 30 20 27.6"

pirelli stock 275/35ZR20 27.7"

XL 220 AA A

Thanks for the info. So the only real difference is that the 335 is 20mm wider than the 315. <<This is if Michelin and Toyo measure their tread width at the same spot on their tires.

For a size on 20mm, 315 vs. 335, and a dime for a reference.....................

Picture1731-3.jpg

R

Speaking of traction, or at least tires, I was thumbing through the Shelby Performance Parts catalog for winter of 2008 and found some interesting tire recommendations for the Alcoa 9's and 10's.............................

265's? 285's?

Picture1731-1-1.jpg

R

Thanks for the info. So the only real difference is that the 335 is 20mm wider than the 315. <<This is if Michelin and Toyo measure their tread width at the same spot on their tires.

For a size on 20mm, 315 vs. 335, and a dime for a reference.....................

Picture1731-3.jpg

R

Keep in mind the R888 is a road race tire. Better than a drag radial for corners, and they do have a softer compound than a PS2. Negatives are the rubber needs to be hot to gain the traction advantage and tire life will be around 3000 miles at best. Its all a trade-off. I would bet the slightly narrower R888 hook better than the wider PS2 on a sunny day, but in the rain or colder weather I think the street tire takes the edge. Would be a real interesting test.

Archived