TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Hood Scoop Saga (all 6 of them)

I purchased my Black Shelby GT (CSM 0360) in March 2007. Like many others, I've had a few issues with the scoop. The following is my saga.

Hood Scoop #1 - Major gaps on both sides of the scoop. Replaced.

Hood Scoop #2 - No better than the original. Replaced.

Hood Scoop #3 - 1st scoop to be completely riveted. Hood is wrinkled from rivet to rivet.

Hood Scoop #4 - Complete hood replacement with scoop attached. After 6 months, stripe tape bubbles up around rivets.

Hood Scoop #5 - To replace stripes, new and improved hood scoop needs to be mounted. Only problem is that the scoop doesn't line up with the rivet holes in the hood.

Hood Scoop #6 - Waiting for pre-drilled hood scoop to arrive from Shelby.

Can anyone be my hood scoop count?

When we bought our GT 500, I was shopping for a SGT. 1st thing wife point out about the SGT was the lack of rear spoiler, next was the wrinkles in the stripe around the hood. Then she pointed to the GT 500 and said, "I like that better." I'm so glad I married her.

Hood and stripe quality become more than irritating when you pay as much as you do for one of these babies!

You'll have to tell "Larry", "Moe", and "Curly" to do a better job!

You'll have to tell "Larry", "Moe", and "Curly" to do a better job!

+1

You beat me by 1 install but some of these sound like bad installs that ignored things, such as the inner layer of the hood, in complete disregard of the warnings and instructions which can also be found in the official hood scoop thread which I hope you have printed and provided to the installers.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31128-the-hood-scoop-thread/

i still have the original scoop...side gaps and all. i'm never replacing it. its just too much BS to work with dealership and makin sure their body shop does it right. if i ever have to repaint this car again i am leaving all the stripes off and scoop.

went through hell trying to get everything fixed right after my SGT was hail damaged. whole car had to be repainted and restriped. had hood was supposed to be replaced but i dont think it was. but i cant prove it. so i just let it be. i mean the old scoop and hood pins were all mysteriously perfectly positioned exactly as originally. the bolts and screws on the scoop and hood pin disk pieces were just too familiarly oriented. i know ever inch and detail of this car. i even can tell if they replaced an oil filter or not in an oil change.

im just more conscious to details. i had oil change on my toyota tundra once at toyota dealership and they tried to pull one over on me, or just maybe one of thier young kid monkey wrenchers was just too lazy to replace the filter. they have to drop the skid plate to get to it. and i dont know how many times i had to replace one of the bolts that hold the skid plate in place. sometimes one of them is even missing. u just cant get good quality service anymore.

i hate the express lane where they run ur vehicle through in 30 mins. makes u wonder if they leave any untightened screws or bolts. or forget to put them back entirely.

i rather make them take thier time on it and do it right. but then they'll probly put ur vehicle at the bottom of list then get to it at end of day and rush to do the job.

i still have the original scoop...side gaps and all. i'm never replacing it. its just too much BS to work with dealership and makin sure their body shop does it right. if i ever have to repaint this car again i am leaving all the stripes off and scoop.

went through hell trying to get everything fixed right after my SGT was hail damaged. whole car had to be repainted and restriped. had hood was supposed to be replaced but i dont think it was. but i cant prove it. so i just let it be. i mean the old scoop and hood pins were all mysteriously perfectly positioned exactly as originally. the bolts and screws on the scoop and hood pin disk pieces were just too familiarly oriented. i know ever inch and detail of this car. i even can tell if they replaced an oil filter or not in an oil change.

im just more conscious to details. i had oil change on my toyota tundra once at toyota dealership and they tried to pull one over on me, or just maybe one of thier young kid monkey wrenchers was just too lazy to replace the filter. they have to drop the skid plate to get to it. and i dont know how many times i had to replace one of the bolts that hold the skid plate in place. sometimes one of them is even missing. u just cant get good quality service anymore.

i hate the express lane where they run ur vehicle through in 30 mins. makes u wonder if they leave any untightened screws or bolts. or forget to put them back entirely.

i rather make them take thier time on it and do it right. but then they'll probly put ur vehicle at the bottom of list then get to it at end of day and rush to do the job.

I remember all the damage you had. I think it comes down to finding a good dealer or body shop you can trust. For my work I drive 45 min for any body work and another 30, on top of that, for stripes. You deserve to have a good scoop and it's a shame of you let poor dealer service deprive you of that especially since your warranty will be up soon. That said a new hood is pretty cheap, take off even cheaper, and you could just store the new scoop once you got it. Stripes will never be an issue really if you're willing to go 3rd party.

Archived