TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buying an Extended Warranty

bigb1975

I bought my GT500 Saturday evening. Despite pressure from the finance guy at the dealership, I repeatedly declined adding the extended warranty. Not that I have anything against them, in fact, I think I probably want one. But I just didn't have any info about them or the process for getting one when I was at the dealer. I also figured I could pick one up later.

So any suggestions? Do I just find the ford website and buy directly from Ford? I'm wondering if the prices are negotiable. Maybe I call a few dealerships and ask?

The dealer tried to sell me different components of the warranty. Something to cover the car and something to cover scheduled maintenance and something to cover theft. Is that normal? Any learning is appreciated . . .

Jason

I bought my GT500 Saturday evening. Despite pressure from the finance guy at the dealership, I repeatedly declined adding the extended warranty. Not that I have anything against them, in fact, I think I probably want one. But I just didn't have any info about them or the process for getting one when I was at the dealer. I also figured I could pick one up later.

So any suggestions? Do I just find the ford website and buy directly from Ford? I'm wondering if the prices are negotiable. Maybe I call a few dealerships and ask?

The dealer tried to sell me different components of the warranty. Something to cover the car and something to cover scheduled maintenance and something to cover theft. Is that normal? Any learning is appreciated . . .

Jason

You can buy the ESP from any FORD dealer

Ford ESP – The Only Ford Extended Warranty Backed by the Strength and Stability of Ford Motor Company

Premium Care should cover everything not just the drive train

$985 EXTENDED PLAN 7 YR 60K

$1380 EXTENDED PLAN 7 YR 100K

I went with the 7 yr 60K

Best prices I found ... You can do a web search

Good luck

I bought the Ford ESP. Back when I did it about a year ago, I went to their website, entered the information to get pricing, etc. I also entered my email address. I did not buy anything, no rush since the car was still under warranty. A month or two later, I received an email from Ford ESP with a discount offer that saved me quite a bit over the original cost quoted on their website. I paid somewhere around $500 for 7 years/36K miles with a $50 deductible.

it should be noted, the seven years is from the date you bought the car, not the warranty. I bought the ESP Premium only after going to a local dealer and them doing their very best to seel me some non-Ford plan...

Contacting my selling dealer, they told me the ESP plan would cover what I wanted and was like $1280, I only have 4 years left on it.

But unless you're planning on modding the car heavily...it would pay to buy it just for drive train, and computers alone.

I bought mine when i bought my GT500 new and got the 7/70000 bumper to bumper for around 1300.They told me as long as i add ford mod's installed by the dealer it will not void the warranty.I have added frpp cai,with procal II, and 373 gears,and frpp mufflers.Really improved the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my car for 3 years and 9,000 miles so the ESP was of no good to me. I didnt see the need as my car will probably not see 60,000 miles. So the question you need to ask is what can go wrong if it sits in the garage or on cruises. If you're car is a DD than I would get it but if you just use it for pleasure than not worth the money.

Extended service plans, waste of money, as you're basically prepaying for oil changes

Extended warranties, most of these cars won't see high mileage, so the likelyhood if needing the warranty slim and none.

All financial advisors will tell you extended warranties is "not money well spent", and automotive warranties are HUGH profit centers for the dealers.

We're bombarded with warranty offers on everything now, from the simplest small appliance all the way up. If you bought warranties on everything, imagine the nest egg of money you'd have working for you, instead of sitting someone elses pocket. Besides, with all that money you'd be sitting on, when that one item does break, you could easily buy a replacement...

Just my .02

Extended service plans, waste of money, as you're basically prepaying for oil changes

Extended warranties, most of these cars won't see high mileage, so the likelyhood if needing the warranty slim and none.

All financial advisors will tell you extended warranties is "not money well spent", and automotive warranties are HUGH profit centers for the dealers.

We're bombarded with warranty offers on everything now, from the simplest small appliance all the way up. If you bought warranties on everything, imagine the nest egg of money you'd have working for you, instead of sitting someone elses pocket. Besides, with all that money you'd be sitting on, when that one item does break, you could easily buy a replacement...

Just my .02

+1

Many years ago when my wife and I bought our first washer and dryer, the salesman pushed hard for us to purchase a $100 extended warranty. To illustrate the value of the warranty, he mentioned another client whose warranty saved them $50 on a repair bill ($100 cost, $50 savings)! Needless to say, I did not buy the warranty. In fact, I am quite sure that I have never bought an extended warranty on anything! Add another $.02 to the equation!

:headscratch:

You can buy direct from Ford on their website and you will pay MSRP for the ESP. Most dealers sell above MSRP but like buying the car they are very negotiable and more so if you are buying later after you buy the car. Ford has a great payment plan also for their ESP policies with 100% approval rate!

It's hard for me to admit this, but... I owned a Chevy Blazer years ago (to pull my Ski Centurion around) and purchased an extended warranty at the time of purchase. In that case however, buying the EW was a stroke of genius... because that damn SUV spent more time in the shop than my boat spent out of the water!hysterical.gif

On the other hand, my last company dd Taurus went 219k miles without any problems and I've got 70k+ miles on a newer one and it's going strong. I think Ford quality today is unmatched, so buying an extended warranty probably isn't necessary. Because of this, I didn't even consider one for my 2010 GT500 coupe.

I would look at an extended warranty just like an insurance policy. If you can't afford the risk of repairs, buy the insurance. If you can afford to pay for a loss, save your money.

Ford has plans available for those who drive very little.

A 6yr plan but only 36000 miles total would run probably $600-800 +/- ..... Im not at my office so I cant pull the exact price.

Also every state is different on pricing. Florida regulates thier pricing. Same at all Ford stores where as other states you can actually negotiate the price.

On these cars where even the simplest repairs can cost over $500 ..... for those who dont drive a lot the 6yr-36000 mile plan would be a good option.

Jason

When they offer me a warranty I respond with 'I'm betting with you!' Typically I get the deer in the headlights look so I explain that they price the ESP to make money. In fact you believe on average that it won't cost more than that to fix my car over the extended period of time. So bet with them, save your money and you have until before your 3yr 36K mile warranty runs out to buy one so why give them your money now if you choose to do it?

Archived