TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FR Short Throw Shifter Adjustment?

jason.lantis

Hello-

I have recently installed a Shelby shift lever and ball and now it appears that my Ford Racing short-throw shifter isn't adjusted properly afterwards (that is my suspicion, at least). It almost seems as if the shift into second gear is travelling too far at times, resulting in a whining sound that you can hear while shifting the car into second. The car still shifts smoothly and the clutch itself appears to be working properly (post-TSB), which makes me suspect the shifter. Any idea if the FR short-throw shifter has adjustable shift stops, and if so, it is difficult to make an adjustment (e.g., can it be done with from inside the car by removing the dust boot)? Or, should I be suspecting something with the transmission itself? This is my first post, and wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for all the great information over the past couple of years!

Many thanks,

Jason

Thanks, 6-Speed. While trying to isolate whether this is a transmission issue versus a shifter one, I replaced the Shelby shifter and ball with the factory one and no longer had the issue during a short drive today. I'm going to drive it back and forth to work for a day or two after warming the car up a bit (has been in the low teens for the last couple of days) and see if the factory shifter does the same thing. Strangely enough, from what I saw today, there is much less effort putting the car into second and no noise when using the factory shifter. Looking at the factory one side by side with the Shelby one, they're almost exactly the same shape and length, so I would expect the same from the Shelby one..unless I'm missing something :)

make sure the rubber boot is fully seated in its cutout and installed rightside up it stops alot of road/gear noise

Thank you very much. I removed the shifter and disassembled it, put everything back together, and put it back in place (guessing on the torque spec for the bolts), and everything seems to work perfectly now. Thanks again!

Archived