TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nissan GTR v Super Snake

Thanks Lee.

Don

If you widen them go to 11 3/4 instead of 12". I had to run a 1/8 spacer on the passenger side or the tire would slightly scrape the undercoating at full articulation. Not sure you would actually ever see full articulation on the street, but I did not want to risk it. The 11 3/4 instead of 12" width would eliminate that.

• 5 months later...

If you widen them go to 11 3/4 instead of 12". I had to run a 1/8 spacer on the passenger side or the tire would slightly scrape the undercoating at full articulation. Not sure you would actually ever see full articulation on the street, but I did not want to risk it. The 11 3/4 instead of 12" width would eliminate that.

do you have to do all four wheels and how much thanks

I had a GTR wanna play on a two laner, maybe the guy could not drive but he was watching the taillights of my shelby.

mind you we were only accelerating to posted speed limit speeds but getting to that speed around the corner he lost.

I agree on the "agenda" comment- journalists just love the story they want to tell, and lose their objectivity... It never looks like they can drive the cars worth a crap, either!

The point I was making is that the GT-R (which is 480 hp, btw) is able to extract and apply every single horsepower it is making, and the SuperSnake, even with better tires, will never be able to utilize all the prodigious power. I put thousands into my GT500 'vert; it has much more power than a SuperSnake (which is why I just did it my way, rather than settle for the 605 hp SS convertible), yet it is really very little faster at the dragstrip than it was when I just had a pulley/tune on the car. It is fun to have ridiculous horsepower, even if most of the extra isn't usable... and it is still my favorite one to take for a spin.

I have always wondered about the accessibility of the advance trak systems/logic in the newer GT500 and whether or not it could be turned into both an effective launch control and open track aid (like the Race Logic box).

I had a GTR wanna play on a two laner, maybe the guy could not drive but he was watching the taillights of my shelby.

mind you we were only accelerating to posted speed limit speeds but getting to that speed around the corner he lost.

I have run into two of them now on the road course (Autobahn Country Club and Mid American Motorplex) and spanked both of them hard. These are both short technical 2.2 mile tracks versus power tracks like Road America or Sebring where our cars would actually do better. I have about the same money in my GT500 as an 09 GT-R at sticker. Could just be driver though :shrug: It's interesting to see what the mags say, but it's more interesting to see what they actually do on a track.

If you watch Forum Wars episode 8 is between GT-R, and 996TT, their times are, GT-R 45.15sec---996TT 47.00sec, This is on the road course. So far Episode 1, with a Shelby GT, has the fastest time of 44secs, so if you watch all Episodes, youll see the Shelby has beat all comers.

I have run into two of them now on the road course (Autobahn Country Club and Mid American Motorplex) and spanked both of them hard. These are both short technical 2.2 mile tracks versus power tracks like Road America or Sebring where our cars would actually do better. I have about the same money in my GT500 as an 09 GT-R at sticker. Could just be driver though shrug.gif It's interesting to see what the mags say, but it's more interesting to see what they actually do on a track.

Good work!

Keeping the dream alive! I agree on the driver...and I want to get better...its so fun when you are truly in the groove!

If you watch Forum Wars episode 8 is between GT-R, and 996TT, their times are, GT-R 45.15sec---996TT 47.00sec, This is on the road course. So far Episode 1, with a Shelby GT, has the fastest time of 44secs, so if you watch all Episodes, youll see the Shelby has beat all comers.

Mr. Shelby nailed it when he said its "an easy car to drive fast..."

a 996TT is beyond my skill set...and I am ok with that hysterical.gif

Mr. Shelby nailed it when he said its "an easy car to drive fast..."

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif[/img]

A Corvette Z06 is an easy car to drive fast! I liken it to putting training wheels on a GT500 :hysterical: Our cars when putting down over 600 rwtq with tires less than 300mm require a little more "finesse" to drive fast and keep the nose pointed forward :hysterical2:

I agree on the "agenda" comment- journalists just love the story they want to tell, and lose their objectivity... It never looks like they can drive the cars worth a crap, either!

The point I was making is that the GT-R (which is 480 hp, btw) is able to extract and apply every single horsepower it is making, and the SuperSnake, even with better tires, will never be able to utilize all the prodigious power. I put thousands into my GT500 'vert; it has much more power than a SuperSnake (which is why I just did it my way, rather than settle for the 605 hp SS convertible), yet it is really very little faster at the dragstrip than it was when I just had a pulley/tune on the car. It is fun to have ridiculous horsepower, even if most of the extra isn't usable... and it is still my favorite one to take for a spin.

The comment that your GT500 with 1,100 hp is not much faster than your car was with just a pulley/tune is crazy. If that is really the case, there has to be driver error, wrong tires, or wrong suspension. With that much power, you should be running the 1/4 in the 9's.....not high 11's low 12's...which is what a pullied/tuned GT500 will do.

Jim

The comment that your GT500 with 1,100 hp is not much faster than your car was with just a pulley/tune is crazy. If that is really the case, there has to be driver error, wrong tires, or wrong suspension. With that much power, you should be running the 1/4 in the 9's.....not high 11's low 12's...which is what a pullied/tuned GT500 will do.

Jim

My car doesn't have 1100 hp; it has what Evolution called their "1100 hp package". With the pulley and tune that I am currently running on the street, I have maybe 800 rwhp. I still have the factory tires, so you are correct- traction is the main issue. Of course my car FEELS a lot faster with all the added horsepower. Truthfully, I haven't even ran my GT500 at the strip, because until I get some tires (which are now on their way, with widened rims), I know the outcome would be a total joke. I would probably run about a 12.xx at about 130+ mph due to a crappy 60-ft. However, I have been with others and their aftermarket-blown GT500s, with 650-750rwhp, upgraded tires, and decent drivers, and they still haven't gotten an 11-second timeslip, while there are people all over with just a pulley/tune running deep into the 11's. I figure my situation would be similar. One guy even ran a faster e.t. on his stock GT500 than with his Whipple, because he couldn't hook up. As I always say, it is a fun problem to have. Of course, with more tire and more practice, their/our cars are capable of better... My point was that just by adding 200-300 rwhp, you aren't guaranteed an easy 10-second timeslip. Lack of horsepower isn't the reason many GT500 owners are getting disappointing timeslips- its the difficulty in applying it to the track.

I can say from experience, that my SGT after I had it whippled was a serious handful with the stock tires...after I upgraded the tires it made the car very planted and quick....it just boogies now. I'd bet new wider rubber will make you smile much more! Cheers!

I can say from experience, that my SGT after I had it whippled was a serious handful with the stock tires...after I upgraded the tires it made the car very planted and quick....it just boogies now. I'd bet new wider rubber will make you smile much more! Cheers!

Thanks, I hope so. Just bought some 18x11's and some 315/40 Nitto NTO5's, so I would think that would really help. What kind of tires are you running?

Sweet I am running KDW N2's as I have 19 inch wheels and those are the sole manufacturer with the 295/35/19. They work very well and as I drive in rain alot they are optimum, they are loud however, but I am usually cranking tunes anyway...but I did notice the noise. As a bonus the tread looks like snakeskin.

Archived