TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Pro Plus or Shelby Extreme Plus

Any reviews for both? I've been trying to decide my whole suspension set up including wheels, tires, fays2 watts link, and brakes. I believe the pro plus can fit the stock wheels? Since it is smaller, it sacrifice performance compared to its big brother extreme plus?

Thanks

My question to you is, what will you be doing in your car? Will you be taking the car regularly to the road course or auto cross events? First off, if you are an occasional or recreational racer I wouldn't waste your money on a watts link, instead go with an adjustable panhard bar.

I haven't gotten the chance to test out the pro-plus system, but I heard they are a great substitute for the extreme system.

I have the Pro Plus and I wish I had got the extreme. I was not to happy when I saw the recent 30% off on the extreme brakes. I was going to buy them and sell my Plus series but then I just decided to deal with what I got.

I paid more for my Plus series than I would have paid for the extreme when they were on sale.banghead.gif

I went to Tulsa OK this summer for the team shelby nationals I paid for three days of track time but within two days of track time the pads had worn down to the bare metal and ruined both rotors. These brakes were new and only had about 200 miles on them. So now when I go to the track I will put different race pads on each time.

Baer did send me replacement pads and one rotor and we turned the other rotor. Todd at Baer sent the replacement rotor to me it was kind of like pulling teeth to get him to do it but in the end he did send the rotor. salute.gif

If your going to do any tracking then get the extreme or if you get the plus series and you track it put race pads on them each time.

Thanks for the review Nordicshelby! So you go back to your regular brake pads when driving on the street? Why not just stick to the race pads on the street and the track? I wonder if it is the same case for the extreme. How is the braking power?

Thanks Chris. Actually I know the Baer systems will not work on the stock wheels. But I recently saw in the Shelby catalog that the pro plus will work on the stock wheels according to its discription. It does not really matter to me because I will upgrade to either American Muscle GT4 wheels or GT500 wheels. I am still deciding.

Matt besides the cost, is there a reason why you wouldn't recommend it? I know it will improve the car on the track but will it affect the way the car drives on the street for worse or for better? And FYI, I take the car to Auto Cross Events any chance I get, which means occasionally and frequently. Thanks.

Lawrence, You may be confused alittle bit. The Pro-Plus brake system is a 6 piston set up as is the Extreme, niether will work with the stock wheels. The one you are thinkin of is the GT-Plus brake system from Baer. Make one other note about the AM GT4 wheels, If you do decide to get the Pro-Plus or the Extreme, the GT4's will not fit the rear brakes, only the front. They GT500 wheels will fit any, as will the Shelby Wheel Company wheels.

By the way, your car looks killer. The GT4 wheels would look really good on it.

Chris

Thanks for the review Nordicshelby! So you go back to your regular brake pads when driving on the street? Why not just stick to the race pads on the street and the track? I wonder if it is the same case for the extreme. How is the braking power?

Thanks Chris. Actually I know the Baer systems will not work on the stock wheels. But I recently saw in the Shelby catalog that the pro plus will work on the stock wheels according to its discription. It does not really matter to me because I will upgrade to either American Muscle GT4 wheels or GT500 wheels. I am still deciding.

Matt besides the cost, is there a reason why you wouldn't recommend it? I know it will improve the car on the track but will it affect the way the car drives on the street for worse or for better? And FYI, I take the car to Auto Cross Events any chance I get, which means occasionally and frequently. Thanks.

The pads on the Pro Plus are for STREET use only as I learned the hard way. When I go to the track I will simply put on race pads because they are much harder and will wear less, they won't dissinagrate like street pads will on the track and then I wont have to worry about ruining my rotors.

The reason why you dont want to keep the race pads on is because race pads will squel and make all kinds of noise on the street plus they dont really work that well until they are heated up.

I just bought a 4 post lift with a sliding jack so changing the pads will easy.

Gary Patterson told me at Tulsa that they change the race pads out every couple days of track time and that you really have to keep an eye on the pads otherwise you will ruin rotors like I did.

Yes Chris is correct that the Pro Plus and the Extreme are both 6 piston and they look almost exactly the same from the outside. There is a GT Pro PLus which to be honest I would not consider that only becuase I like the 6 piston and the looks of the Pro Plus and extreme brakes.

Chris, this is what the SPP catalog says:

SHELBY PROPLUS BRAKE SYSTEM

BY BAER BRAKES

Shelby PRO-PLUS systems feature Baer’s all

new “6P-series” cast aluminum six-piston radial

mount calipers, ceramic SPORT-TOURING

compound pads, 14 x 1.15-inch two-piece rotors

and DOT legal braided stainless steel, Teflon

® lined hoses and all attendant hardware.

Baer’s rigid quality standards together with

these elements combine to off er the lightest

14-inch 6-piston available for the S197 Mustang,

as well as the most performance per

dollar of any system in this segment. A perfect

compliment for your Shelby-GT or late model

Mustang.

That is kinda misleading to not mention there that we need to upgrade the SGT wheels before getting them. What it sounds like is that it will fit to compliment the SGT. The GT Plus brake system do say that it will not fit the SGT wheels according to the SPP catalog:

SHELBY GTPLUS BRAKE SYSTEM

BY BAER BRAKES

The GT-Plus system for

the front brakes is original

equipment on both

the CS6 and CS8 Shelbys’.

This system includes 2

huge 14” cross drilled

and slotted 2 piece zinc

plated rotors, large PBR

2 piston aluminum front

calipers, oversized performance

metallic pads,

caliper relocating brackets,

brake hoses and all

necessary mounting hardware and instructions. This system greatly

reduces stopping distance. Also reduces brake fade and overheated rotors

common on stock Mustang brakes in abusive situations. Worthy of

the Shelby Logo engraved on each caliper. Fits all V8 cars and V6 cars

that have the optional ABS. Requires 18” or larger rims. Note: certain

spoke designs may not allow enough clearance for these oversize calipers.

Caliper fi tment templates available online. Please inquire.

Thanks for confirming that the Extremes will fit the AM GT4s on the front. I am not planning on upgrading the rear brakes, only the front is good enough for me. Thanks for the compliment. I can't afford any regrets or mistakes on my set up is why I'm asking around first before I purchase. So far, I am really liking the design on the GT4 and it has everything I want: fits the extremes and 18x10 on the rear for a 305DRs.

Thanks for the info Nordic!

Chris, this is what the SPP catalog says:

SHELBY PROPLUS BRAKE SYSTEM

BY BAER BRAKES

Shelby PRO-PLUS systems feature Baer’s all

new “6P-series” cast aluminum six-piston radial

mount calipers, ceramic SPORT-TOURING

compound pads, 14 x 1.15-inch two-piece rotors

and DOT legal braided stainless steel, Teflon

® lined hoses and all attendant hardware.

Baer’s rigid quality standards together with

these elements combine to off er the lightest

14-inch 6-piston available for the S197 Mustang,

as well as the most performance per

dollar of any system in this segment. A perfect

compliment for your Shelby-GT or late model

Mustang.

That is kinda misleading to not mention there that we need to upgrade the SGT wheels before getting them. What it sounds like is that it will fit to compliment the SGT. The GT Plus brake system do say that it will not fit the SGT wheels according to the SPP catalog:

SHELBY GTPLUS BRAKE SYSTEM

BY BAER BRAKES

The GT-Plus system for

the front brakes is original

equipment on both

the CS6 and CS8 Shelbys’.

This system includes 2

huge 14” cross drilled

and slotted 2 piece zinc

plated rotors, large PBR

2 piston aluminum front

calipers, oversized performance

metallic pads,

caliper relocating brackets,

brake hoses and all

necessary mounting hardware and instructions. This system greatly

reduces stopping distance. Also reduces brake fade and overheated rotors

common on stock Mustang brakes in abusive situations. Worthy of

the Shelby Logo engraved on each caliper. Fits all V8 cars and V6 cars

that have the optional ABS. Requires 18” or larger rims. Note: certain

spoke designs may not allow enough clearance for these oversize calipers.

Caliper fi tment templates available online. Please inquire.

Thanks for confirming that the Extremes will fit the AM GT4s on the front. I am not planning on upgrading the rear brakes, only the front is good enough for me. Thanks for the compliment. I can't afford any regrets or mistakes on my set up is why I'm asking around first before I purchase. So far, I am really liking the design on the GT4 and it has everything I want: fits the extremes and 18x10 on the rear for a 305DRs.

Thanks for the info Nordic!

Hello,

Just found this one...

Am I reading this one right?

"" IF I want to upgrade my Brake system....I have to buy new wheels also??? ""

The Shelby 500 wheels will work on my SGT, with the upgraded 6 piston sets?

However, even if I get the 6 piston set - I will still need to change my pads every two days of track time - or - change to race pads ahead and after 2 track days to go back to road use pads?

When SAI takes off the 500 wheels to make it into a SuperSnake are they available for SGT owners to buy, just the wheels??

Hello,

Just found this one...

Am I reading this one right?

"" IF I want to upgrade my Brake system....I have to buy new wheels also??? "" YES

The Shelby 500 wheels will work on my SGT, with the upgraded 6 piston sets? YES

However, even if I get the 6 piston set - I will still need to change my pads every two days of track time - or - change to race pads ahead and after 2 track days to go back to road use pads?

If you get the extreme brakes then no you don't have to change to race pads because they already are race pads. You should at least check your pads every two days of tracking and always have an extra set with you. The extreme will work on the street but they make noise and they work much better when hot.

If a person has the PLUS series brakes then they should definitely change the pads to race pads when tracking and when not on the track ideally you should put the street pads back on because they are quiter and work better at lower temps.

When SAI takes off the 500 wheels to make it into a SuperSnake are they available for SGT owners to buy, just the wheels??

Yes they are $850 plus shipping for a set unless you buy them when they have a sale. I got a set for $850 minus 20% and I paid a couple hundred for shipping.

Lawrence, You may be confused alittle bit. The Pro-Plus brake system is a 6 piston set up as is the Extreme, niether will work with the stock wheels. The one you are thinkin of is the GT-Plus brake system from Baer. Make one other note about the AM GT4 wheels, If you do decide to get the Pro-Plus or the Extreme, the GT4's will not fit the rear brakes, only the front. They GT500 wheels will fit any, as will the Shelby Wheel Company wheels.

By the way, your car looks killer. The GT4 wheels would look really good on it.

Chris

Just my $.02 I am dealing with this issue. look at the "What wheels work with big brakes thread"

I have 18" American Racing Shelby S1 Wheels. I installed the Big brake kit and with a 1" spacer, they clear both front and back. but I dont want such a big spacer. The design of the GT4 will clear the Front extreme brakes, and I haven't tried yet but should clear the rear (since my S1 almost do by themselfs). I ordered FR500, and they probably wont work, but I will test them out, so we can have aguide for future owners.

As for the Pro-Plus Vs Extreme. I called baer and the Pro-Plus calipers are smaller than the extreme, so it is easier to clear most 18" wheels.

If you go with 20' you dont have problems. Stay tuned

Ok,

Bottom line is IF I do want to upgrade the brakes - then I do have to get different wheels...and do

I need to be careful about which wheels work with which brakes, or the GT 500 wheels will work period?

Thanks

I will look for "what wheels work with big brake " thread

Ok,

Bottom line is IF I do want to upgrade the brakes - then I do have to get different wheels...and do

I need to be careful about which wheels work with which brakes, or the GT 500 wheels will work period?

Thanks

I will look for "what wheels work with big brake " thread

Yeap!! It seems that only GT500 Wheels will work or 20"s I received my FR500, very nice wheel. I will see if they clear monday and will update.

I wish SAI would make a NICE looking wheel. I do not like the GT500 ones and the GT4/FR500 are nicer, but not my first choice.

Archived