TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB 9-24-16 GRUNT/CREAK/SQUEAK/CHIRP NOISE FROM THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHING OVER BUMPS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/3/2009

Grabber

This new TSB came out on Dec. 2nd 2009. I think I have this grunt / creak / squeak because when I turn into my driveway approach apron from the street, my car makes this sound. I plan on making a appointment to have it looked at. The TSB says it's about a 3 hour job to replace the old front ball joints with better and bigger ball joints and bushings.

So if you have a 2005-2010 Mustang 4.0L/4.6L, 2007-2010 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles built on or before 8/3/2009 it may exhibit a grunt/creak/squeak/chirp noise from the lower control arm hydro bushing. The grunt/creak noise may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps and pot holes. The squeak/chirp noise may occur over bumps rough roads, and driveway approaches.

This TSB 09-24-16 could be the solution to the problem. Print off the attached PDF file and read it. Take it to your dealer and have them check you car out.

TSB_09_24_16_Front_control_arm_bushings.pdf

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part

EDIT 2/19/10: INSTALL PIC's in the ATTACHED THREAD:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53790-tsb-09-24-16-installed-on-my-car-front-end-lcas/page__view__getnewpost__fromsearch__1

TSB_09_24_16_Front_control_arm_bushings.pdf

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting ... I notice the same type of noise while manuevering/backing out of my garage and going over speed bumps and slowly turning into my driveway. I can sometimes feel it in the floorboard. However the noise NEVER occurs while driving at speed, even over rough patches. I believe the TSB replaces the entire LCA.

Interesting ... I notice the same type of noise while manuevering/backing out of my garage and going over speed bumps and slowly turning into my driveway. I can sometimes feel it in the floorboard. I believe the TSB replaces the entire LCA.

Yes indeed...same here.

That bump between the street and the uphill driveway approach at my house is a slow right hand turn. As soon as I hit that approach....I can hear it and feel it. I did not have it when the car was new. I'm calling my dealer Monday to make a appointment. My 3 year warranty is up on March 8 2010 so I want it looked at and fixed before that date.

Do you know if I installed the Ford Racing FR3SVT handling pack that these items were changed? From looking at the picture I think they did I remember my car used to do this but it seems to have stopped after I upgraded.

I don't have the FR3SVT handling pack on my car so I don't know if those items were replaced. Maybe someone that did a "hands on" install can tell us.

I have this issue too but only when turning into a rising drive with the wheels turned, I will get a pop/thunk(I think "grunt" would describe it) from the side going up the rise first, I can feeel it in the floorboard so I have suspected the LCA. If I angle my approach and have the wheels straight during the rise, no noise. This started about 2k miles after I did my suspension mods, I thought it might be that for a while, nice to see this TSB, just wonder what roll our suspension mods will have in a dealer doing this TSB or not?!

Thanks for the info Grabber!

Some random thoughts as I peruse this thread...

How the heck could a 2010 GT500 have come through with the 'old' arm?

At what elevation (or location) is Ford measuring the ball joint shaft (taper) in order to come up with either 18mm or 19mm?

Fordparts.com shows the RH GT500 control arm at $166.97 but shows the LH GT500 control arm at $314.13, which makes absolutely no sense at all.

If out of warranty, I'd simply consider FRPP M-3075-E (OEM GT500 LH and RH control arms) for only $255 (list). After verifying that these are the newer style, of course.

Tob

The TSB tells the Tech to follow WSM Section 204-01 to replace the ball joint and control arm. Attached is a PDF copy of the WSM 204-01 from Ford's shop manual. It says to note that the Pic's shown in the manual are for a 4.0L and a 4.6L but the 5.4L is similar.

I'm going to print this off and take it with me to the dealership so I can discuss the work with my Tech. Care has to be taken not to damage the steering gear bellows and the orientation of the bolts and Torque spec's are very important. The torque spec's are listed in the WSM too.

Front_LCA___Ball_joint_removal.pdf

Thank Grabber. I heard this last time I drove the car this fall as I was turning around in a friends driveway that is really rough with tree roots raising the asphalt. One more thing to add to the list...

BTW - no pussy footing here :hysterical:

At what elevation (or location) is Ford measuring the ball joint shaft (taper) in order to come up with either 18mm or 19mm?

Why to you think it is tapered?

Are you talking about Item #5 in the attached diagram?

It sounds like the old shafts are 18mm and the new ones are 19mm.

That's how I'm reading it, but I could be wrong.

It sounds like the old shafts are 18mm and the new ones are 19mm

That's why I asked, how could a 2010 have gotten the revised (19mm) arm? They were produced well after the change started...

Tob

On edit...I guess I never paid close enough attention to 2005+ ball joints. Looks like they are straight shank only...

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/900/957/957-555-8108.jpg

...as opposed to the tapered shank on the older ball joints

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/900/957/957-555-8101.jpg

That's why I asked, how could a 2010 have gotten the revised (19mm) arm? They were produced well after the change started...

Tob

The TSB states that all cars built before 8/3/09 have this problem. I think they started building the 2010 model year car on 3/1/09. So that means that 5 months of 2010 production GT500's and GT's have the smaller 18mm arm.

Odd that it took 5 years to fix this problem.

Aye. My brain is off by a year. I kept thinking 2008 for the '09 MY. I must be on the decline...

Which means, damn, I may be affected by this as well. I've been on such a roll too. Nobody's hands but mine have touched the car so far. I'll be waiting until spring for this one...

Tob

Aye. My brain is off by a year. I kept thinking 2008 for the '09 MY. I must be on the decline...

Which means, damn, I may be affected by this as well. I've been on such a roll too. Nobody's hands but mine have touched the car so far. I'll be waiting until spring for this one...

Tob

Now that we are 30 something...it's hard to remember stuff. :hysterical:

How I went from 21 to 44 almost overnight I'll never know. :headscratch:

Speaking of head scratching, how can you switch from an 18mm bj to a 19mm bj? I'd have thought the corresponding hole in the spindle was reamed only slightly oversize. So a late spindle would have a larger lower hole and a revised part # as well?

Tob

How I went from 21 to 44 almost overnight I'll never know. :headscratch:

Speaking of head scratching, how can you switch from an 18mm bj to a 19mm bj? I'd have thought the corresponding hole in the spindle was reamed only slightly oversize. So a late spindle would have a larger lower hole and a revised part # as well?

Tob

The TSB states that the part comes as a assembly, so I assume the entire kit makes the repair complete.

I hear ya on the age thing. Time seems to creep when we watch it....then we look back and it just flew.

Except the 'operation' portion of that pdf only lists the arm(s) as being changed and makes no mention of the spindle. I've never heard of the two being considered as an assembly and couldn't imagine them ever coming from Ford together. The time listed seems too short as well... :headscratch:

Except the 'operation' portion of that pdf only lists the arm(s) as being changed and makes no mention of the spindle. I've never heard of the two being considered as an assembly and couldn't imagine them ever coming from Ford together. The time listed seems too short as well... :headscratch:

They never seem to give the dealers enough time to do the work on the TSB's. :banghead:

The TSB says if the ball joint shaft measures 0.71² (18

mm) an improved service lower control arm

with improved hydro bushing is available.

Follow WSM section 204-01 to replace.

Thanks Grabber!

My tech told me about this and was the reason I should buy the extended warranty cause this is very expensive!

But I must say after my botched TSB job, I think I am going to pass on trying to get this done under warranty since I am noticing any noises other than from the rear of my car which I think is my heim jointed panhard.

As alwasys though, great info and I hope this gets stickied!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you da man as always! :)

Archived