TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New headlight bulbs

Found a good deal on Silverstar bulbs. Over all I like the color of the bulb. They match my lower driving lights better then the dim looking OEM. I have them on all my other rides so it was just a matter of time before I switched out the SGT`s. Here are a few shots of the install. The difference between the OEM and Silverstar is not as apparent in the shots as they are in person.

H13 9008

PC060005.jpg

OEM bulbs

PC060003.jpg

Left OEM, Right Silverstar

PC060010.jpg

Both Silverstar

PC060011.jpg

Nice! I like the SilverStars too. On all our cars too.

Recently Osram-Sylvania intro'd the SilverStar Ultra bulbs so the SilverStars are often on 2-for-1 sales now (just replaced one in the Taurus that failed ...after 11 years, hard to complain -lol.

I was going to upgrade to the Ultras, but since I only needed one and they are twice the price and would have to replace both, it would have been 4x the cost, so I just stayed with the SilverStars ...but at least we have another choice now. ;-)

The SSUltras have about half the life of the SSs but that's still pretty long.

Looks good. These have been on the mod list for a while. Thanks for the part numbers. How do they compare at night versus OEM?

It's not a drastic improvement over OEM. However, they do seem to give off a little cleaner beam and a more defined view over the OEM bulbs. Honestly I just wanted to match the beam color of the lower driving lights. It really bothered me that my OEM's were dull and the driving lights were bright with a slight blueish tint. At night it was so obvious that my driving light were after market. Now, everything matches and looks like it came that way. It's often the little things that stand out most to me.

Oh, the salesman also gave me a rebate coupon. I plan on mailing this off soon. I found it online if anyone needs it... Here you go

Sylvania bulb rebate

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Found a good deal on Silverstar bulbs. Over all I like the color of the bulb. They match my lower driving lights better then the dim looking OEM. I have them on all my other rides so it was just a matter of time before I switched out the SGT`s. Here are a few shots of the install. The difference between the OEM and Silverstar is not as apparent in the shots as they are in person.

H13 9008

PC060005.jpg

OEM bulbs

PC060003.jpg

Left OEM, Right Silverstar

PC060010.jpg

Both Silverstar

PC060011.jpg

I had the ones you have but changed over to the Piaa's big difference even tried the hella's and they didn't match up. Then swapped out the driving lites to Piaa and its like driving in day time.

I had the ones you have but changed over to the Piaa's big difference even tried the hella's and they didn't match up. Then swapped out the driving lites to Piaa and its like driving in day time.

I went the same route as Anthony and got PIAA's as well for both the headlights and fogs

(Xtreme White Plus Bulb H13 & H11 ) !!

I will post pictures once they get installed.

Take Care

Andrew

It would cool see the difference between the Sylvania and PIAA.

H13 are the direct replacement for our head lights.

h13xwp_tn.gif

Not sure what the H11 are for...

h11xwp_tn.gif

You are correct the H13 are the replacement for the headlight and the H11 is a direct replacement for the stock fog lights

web.jpg

I got them at Amazon H13 H11

Take Care

Andrew

I had the silver star lights in the wife's car and had to change them before the year was out they were $60 I replaced them with more silver star and bam they went out again. Silver star is junk and I went back to the stock lights and still going not as bright but they still work and they were 8 bucks each.

I always use latex gloves because the oil in you're skin will make halogen lights burn out.

Dont know about Piaa but have herd good things about them

It would cool see the difference between the Sylvania and PIAA.

H13 are the direct replacement for our head lights.

h13xwp_tn.gif

Not sure what the H11 are for...

h11xwp_tn.gif

Its nite and day difference between sylvania and Piaa !! I did a match with hella also against Piaa and hands down Piaa is brighter so the hella's went into my wife expedition and Piaa's in my car and Sylvania on the shelf in my garage. Its pure white and you cant beat it even for the price. I also did a light test on those Led parking lites with a smoked lense if anything the regular bulb was brighter. This was done at a sound audio and mod shop where I buy my lights from.

Its nite and day difference between sylvania and Piaa !! I did a match with hella also against Piaa and hands down Piaa is brighter so the hella's went into my wife expedition and Piaa's in my car and Sylvania on the shelf in my garage. Its pure white and you cant beat it even for the price. I also did a light test on those Led parking lites with a smoked lense if anything the regular bulb was brighter. This was done at a sound audio and mod shop where I buy my lights from.

Rats, wish I would have had this info before I ordered the Sylvania's. Oh well I'll put the Sylvania's in the F150 and pick up the PIAA's for my baby... :salute:

Take a look at Andrew's pic above. The H13 are for the headlights and the H11 are for the driving lights in the grill. If you have the grill light then you need both the H13 and H11. If all you have is the headlights then all you need is the H13. :yup:

Correct'a Moondough

Andrew

I had the silver star lights in the wife's car and had to change them before the year was out they were $60 I replaced them with more silver star and bam they went out again. Silver star is junk and I went back to the stock lights and still going not as bright but they still work and they were 8 bucks each.

I always use latex gloves because the oil in you're skin will make halogen lights burn out.

Dont know about Piaa but have herd good things about them

I totally forgot to mention the life span of the silver stars they blew within 6 months and replaced them and bam 5 month wrote the company. They said you must have touch the bulbs nope used gloves and never heard from them again. Also from what I have read can't remember where but your headlight bulbs should be changed around 5yrs.

I've used Silverstars in all my other rides. Average life span for me was about 3 years. Always used gloves or plastic baggie to install.

I'm wondering if cleaning the bulbs with a little alcohol would remove any extra factory residue and guarantee a longer life. Anyone try this?

RACERX009 any idea on the life span of the PIAA's?

Frank

I received the PIAA's and installed them during the day so I could not do a comparison pic. However I can tell you that RACERX009 is right on the money when he says there is no comparison between the Silverstar's and the PIAA. PIAA's blow away the Silverstars. Granted the PIAA's are about $20 more then the Silverstars.

Below is a shot of the stock bulb, Silverstar's (silver tip) and PIAA's (blue tip)

opps, sorry that a big pic..

post-22352-126265129317_thumb.jpg

I received the PIAA's and installed them during the day so I could not do a comparison pic. However I can tell you that RACERX009 is right on the money when he says there is no comparison between the Silverstar's and the PIAA. PIAA's blow away the Silverstars. Granted the PIAA's are about $20 more then the Silverstars.

Below is a shot of the stock bulb, Silverstar's (silver tip) and PIAA's (blue tip)

opps, sorry that a big pic..

Humm...I do like the silver tip better in that it blends in with the reflector etc., but I can't afford to be swapping out lights every three months!

Archived